A great monday? Is it possible?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
Well, with winter moving in I took advantage of what a beautiful Day it was.

I've finally built up the confidence in myself and Blacky to hook and go with my 3yr old. We drove for a good hour and Wyatt and Blacky were perfect!

Other than Wyatt yelling "go faster blacky, faster" and he would. But I was always in control.

I took a few pictures and thought I'd share,

101_0214.jpg

101_0215.jpg

101_0217.jpg

heading back home

101_0211.jpg

Thanks for letting me share what may have been our last nice fairly warm day here in Ohio.

I doubt anyone can enjoy the scenery as much as Wyatt and I did!

It's not easy to get good pics. while holding the riens.

OMG it looks like heaven
default_new_shocked.gif
What a dream! I want to be there right now!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys so have it made with those trails around you, one of these days you and linda will have to teach me to drive :BigGin

Give Coco kissys from me, and tell him to play nice with black jack
default_wub.png

I'm very thankful and fortunate to have a neighbor who as a ton of property and he keeps most pathes mowed better than the local parks,lol.

Thanks!

Leeana, which one do you want to drive first! Then you got a barnfull of horses that would be great driving prospects!
default_smile.png

Coco has a busy w/e planned, going to a school and parade, sure hope we don't get rained out! I'll tell him you miss him and give him an extra Kiss
default_wub.png

What lovely trails!
default_new_shocked.gif
Black looks great and it sounds like Wyatt had as much fun as you did.
default_wub.png

What is it about little boys and geldings and "Go faster"?
default_wacko.png
Kody gave rides to Nootka's and Carriage's respective children at our beach camping trip and the minute those boys said "Faster Kody, faster!" he'd be GONE.
default_xreiter.gif
Nevermind that I've never used that word with him, he knew what it meant and apparently it's far more fun to run fast for excited little boys that for your mom.
default_laugh.png
I think it was the gleeful yells that got him.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Beautiful! Makes me want to get out there right now. Thanks for sharing, I just love this time of year!

Lovely adventure!

By the way, I was intersted that your reins go through the breeching. Can you tell me about that? Nice to see a driving photo from the back. In the third picture there appears to be a rein or something up by the horse's head; is that part of the check?

Thanks for the nice photos!

Lovely adventure!By the way, I was intersted that your reins go through the breeching. Can you tell me about that? Nice to see a driving photo from the back. In the third picture there appears to be a rein or something up by the horse's head; is that part of the check?

Thanks for the nice photos!
The rein by his head is his very loose check, just used to keep him from grazing. This harness came with the extra rings on the breeching for the reins, I have found that a helpful addition, and haven't seen it on many of the harness's that are on the market.

Thanks for looking!

Breeching terrets are available by request from most places but I find them more hinderance than help on a miniature horse. With a big horse where your hands may sit even with or below the hindquarters it can keep the reins from dropping down and getting caught in the breeching buckles during a moment of distraction. But on a mini...? A) The reins should be going uphill to the driver anyway and B) you can just reach out and free them if they somehow got caught!
default_laugh.png

I'd rather have less interference between my hands and the bit. Neck strap terrets are bad enough!

Leia

Leia - I never thought of it that way, good point!

I guess it would depend on how big the mini is, this guy is about 34 and I tend to hold my hands alittle low, so it works well for us , but not something you'd want in a show turn out.

But I do like them esp. on our casual drives, I find that the reins don't slip down and get caught on any of the breeching buckles, and then the neck strap terrets help keep them from getting caught on the tip of the shafts, esp. on the mini's that want to look around.

Thanks Leia and I'm up for any harness suggestions from the pro
default_smile.png
does it look like I have the breeching in the right place?? and I've wondered if I need to adjust the tug loops up or down or maybe I need to adjust my shafts up a tad, the shafts float in the tugs but I can lean way back and have to lean way back if I have a passenger to keep them floating.Probably hard to tell in these pics, though. I shouldn't over analyze he never seems to be sore in anyway, he's very willing, and has alot of sense, and seems to have plenty of stamina, like you said earlier with the cute smiley icon , feeds off the excitement of the kids, Faster Faster.

jbrat said:
I guess it would depend on how big the mini is, this guy is about 34 and I tend to hold my hands alittle low, so it works well for us , but not something you'd want in a show turn out.
Yep, it looks like it's working fine for you! I couldn't see the photos when I posted about the terrets from work today but I took another look and they don't seem to mess with the line of your reins. That design of two loose rings on the end of a longer strap is probably the best way to do hip terrets (I KNEW I didn't have the name quite right earlier!) as it won't interfer with the line of your reins like a fixed terret would. I agree on the neck terrets by the way- I don't need them with a regular breastcollar but I use the ones on the Freedom Collar as there's enough strap ends crossing down below that the reins do get caught regularly if they aren't through the terrets.

Your harness looks fine from what I can see from that angle. As you said- if the horse is happy, things are probably comfortable for him.

Leia

Latest posts

Back