a few questions on great danes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
My husband decided he would love to have a great dane. He figured this out as he was repairing the damaged caused by a houseful of them!
default_wacko.png
He is a remodel/handyman and one of his customers has 3 or 4 danes. They are great and friendly but they did a number on their homes woodwork and stuff. So we are aware of that aspect of them.

The little pup we may get is 14 weeks, and in his 3 or 4th home. He is so cute with 2 blue eyes. I have not met him in person yet so things are in the very beginning talking stage if you know what I mean.

I understand the $$$$$ part, and the food part I think. But food recommendations would be great. I have read about the health issues, life span. But if anyone wants to share what their food bill or flea med heart worm bill is I would really appreciate it so I can have a real number.

My main questions are how are they with other animals? We have cats and small dogs and 2 big dogs, but not great dane big. And the all important minis! I also have a pot belly pig named Sophie who is very well socialized with all the animals. She is very good, and everyone is very good with her. I think she is my main concern. I would not want the pup to think she is a dane sized bacon bit.

I also have 3 & 4 & 10 year old human kids.
default_wub.png
they are also very well socialized with all the animals and great with them and they are great with the girls. lol! My kids are used to tail whips, as my boy Drew is part dane I think, and has that thin tail, and he is a lumbering fool that has no idea of his size> he is about 90# or so. So we have some experience with that part of danes.

All our animals are 'fixed' and are very good with each other. We do foster care for an animal rescue, so we have had so many dogs come through everyone is like 'oh well thers another one...' We very rarely have any aggression problems.

My husband really thinks he wants this pup. Please give me any pros and cons

thanks so much!
default_saludando.gif

What color is this pup?

Is it a primarily white one?

If so you may want to have his vision & hearing checked.

As for feed since Danes are a giant breed its best to grow them slowly on a low protein food.

Something that is no more that 24% protein. So most puppy foods are no-nos.

For those that feed kibble I hear that Eagle Pack is one that many Dane folk use.

Training & socialization just with any dog is the key to a good family member.

Yes, Great Danes can do very well around other animals.

Our home is blessed with 4 Danes, 1 Chi/Terrier mix, 6 housecats, 1 mini and we are currently fostering a Chihuahua we sprung from the shelter.

As for prices for upkeep well they really vary depending what you use and where you get it.

Personally, I'd be concerned as to why this young of a puppy has gone through so many homes already.

Great Danes don't have a long life-span, compared to most dogs, but they are living longer than in the past, so 8 to 10 years is reasonable to expect, and they can live longer. My girl is 8 this year and it tears me up, but she's as healthy as can be still, no arthritis or any other problems as of yet. A couple of pics of Hayley and one of the foals from a few years ago:

f3fb22e0.jpg

d452c398.jpg

Great Danes should be VERY well-trained. They are just too big to let them get away with ANYTHING, imo.
default_smile.png

Everything is more expensive with a giant breed: food, treats and bones, medicines, dog beds. I don't even keep track of what my Dane costs me, I don't want to know, lol! But she's well worth it to me, no matter what it is.
default_wub.png

We have other dogs, cats, and of course the minis. Hayley is awesome with all of them. She's also superb with young children (though the kids might get a big ole Great Dane kiss on the face if we don't watch close enough, lol!) I can leave meat out on the counter to thaw, or my dinner on the table and run to the barn, and come back and Hayley won't have touched it.

Hayley is my first and only Great Dane, so I don't know if she is unusual, or if most Great Danes are as wonderful as she is. She's my heart dog.
default_wub.png

thanks for the replys. Magic, your girl is so cute!!! I want one like her!

Sixstardanes, I too worry about the hearing/vision thing.

The dog is mostly white.

I do not have a picture at the moment.

I asked the current owners how he was as far as hearing and they said sometimes he startles at noise, sometimes not.

The person who has him now, only had him since Fri. The womans first dog is not getting along with the puppy. (or so the story goes)

I have some experience with special needs dogs, but not one so big. I am leaning towards not getting the pup
default_sad.png
but I am worried about the cost. My husband is all about it, untill I reminded him of the cost. He just remembers how big and how sweet the danes were at his jobsite.

I hate to see this dog floating around from home to home though. He is so sweet looking, and it breaks my heart that some more fools will get him, especilly if he is deaf or blind or god forbid both!

Now I have guilt! What to do? Anyone know any dane rescues near NW FL? I am going to worry forever about this dog who is not even mine
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info. I emailed the president. they are going to think I am nuts! I dont even own the dog, but i hate to think of him out there needing a special home and being rehomed and rehomed because of his special needs. Maybe he is fine but my gut said at least deaf so
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

anyway thanks!!

Put it this way, I would not recommend you getting a dane if you have mini horses or small dogs. I just had 1 of my mini's killed on Friday from 2 great danes and a mutt dog I took in. One dane was raised at my place ( 7 month old) and one was a rescue. Ripped my poor colt a part. This has been the second time I have had a mini attacked by dogs and both times Danes were the attackers. First time was by 3 danes I took in and the second was by 2 danes and a mutt.

They are great dogs for people but I would not recommend them for a farm. And flame a way at me for telling you my story. I could care less. I'm angry at what happened and if it will help one person avoid what happened to me then so be it.

Before any one sticks up for the dogs, this colt was in a pen a lone because of getting over snot nose. The danes WENT INTO THE PEN AFTER HIM. yes these dogs were mine and I never should have taken them in because of the last time but that is my burden to live with.

Dairygirl, I'm so sorry to hear of your colt, how absolutely awful!
default_new_shocked.gif

As much as I love and trust my Great Dane, neither she nor my Catahoula are allowed out with the horses when I'm not out there closely supervising, and my fencing is such that they can't get in to where the horses are if the dogs did happen to be loose and not being watched (which is very rare). There is definitely a "pack mentality" that can happen with dogs, where one gets to chasing something and the others join in, and bad things can happen.
default_sad.png

Great Danes were used once upon a time for hunting wild boar, so they could still have that instinct. Most dogs do have a chasing instinct, and Danes are big enough that if they go after something, that something is in trouble. :DOH! If one of my horses had been attacked by dogs, I would be angry and upset too, to say the least. That poor colt.
default_sad.png

I can only vouch for my own Great Dane, not anyone else's.

Well I got an email back from the Great dand rescue. They will help him if I can get him. they will not help with the money though.......

so I really dont think the lady is going to give him to me for free, so am I nuts to spring a dog for $100 only to turn him over to a rescue? I am going to just wait till she contacts me tonight. Wish us luck!

Well I got an email back from the Great dand rescue. They will help him if I can get him. they will not help with the money though.......
so I really dont think the lady is going to give him to me for free, so am I nuts to spring a dog for $100 only to turn him over to a rescue? I am going to just wait till she contacts me tonight. Wish us luck!

You would be doing a really good thing (and saving a HECK of a lot of money by not keeping him, lol!) The rescue should be able to deal with any of his issues (if he has any, deaf, etc?) and find just the right home for him. Good luck!

Thanks Magic for the kind words. It has been a hard few days and I'm still very angry and hurt.

Well good news on the dane puppy. He was adopted by someone familar with danes and deaf dogs! So things worked out and I still have my $100 for another day lol!!!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back