A Duck Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
We have ducks mixed in with chickens in a pen........Two males and 5 females. They have "paired" off and one of the females nested with one duckling hatched. It's been about 3 days and no more babies. She nested underneath the chicken coop.

Today I was watching while momma duck and baby were out eating and drinking away from the nest. One of the male ducks went and rolled two of the three eggs out of the nest!

Is this a male dominance thing? Or ??? I was planning to remove the eggs tomorrow if she was no longer interested.

I feel badly, Maryann, that no one has offered any help with your question yet, so I'm bringing this back up to the top. I don't know anything about ducks other than they're cute! I hope you get some answers soon.
default_smile.png

Re thinking this..since you said they are older eggs. It "could" be the male duck knows they are not going to hatch and is moving them.

But some times, specially the Blue Swed's I had before I got my wonderful Dutch Hook Bill's.... the males would roll the eggs off the nest, so they can... ah... start over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jayne...and thanks Shari..... Shari, I believe you are right on both counts....

I finally pulled the eggs and dumped them, but me and my morbide curiousity got the better of me. I broke open one of the eggs in the garbage and there was a peanut sized fetus inside. For whatever reason, the little things were not going to develop.

MA, have you checked out the Backyard Chicken forum? They have sections for all kinds of fowl -- it's like L'il Beginnings, but with feathers...

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have male ducks left, neighbor's dog got my females in broad daylight, Christmas morning, just as they were starting to lay eggs
default_sad.png
so dunno about your eggs but I'll second the backyard chickens forum. Good peeps with lots of experience.

Latest posts

Back