A bit question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When looking at bits, please also look at the bars of the mouthpiece and take notice of their shape. A good mouthpiece will be smooth and evenly tapered. For some reason so many Mini bits have bars with a bulge in the middle of them. I bought a bit on the recommendation of a forum member. I saw a photo of the bit on the website, but from that photo couldn't tell anything was "wrong" with the mouthpiece. When the bit arrived I was extremely disappointed to find that each side of the mouthpiece had a bulge in the middle of it. I've looked at a lot of bits since then, and in some photos you can see the bulges. In some photos the bits look nice & smooth, and those are the ones I inquire on, with requests for specific info on the bit bars. If they have bulges, I don't want them. Some people obviously don't care, haven't noticed, or actually like these kind of mouthpieces.

The bit with the bulges in the middle of the bars is more severe than one with normally shaped bars...those bulges create definite pressure points. Perhaps those pressure points would give added control on a problem horse, but it's not what I want to use on any horse. The bit I bought (and it sits here unused) is a plain jointed snaffle, but I see those same bulges on the bars of some of the french link bits too.
You are so right!!! You need to find a bit that was manufactured to be a Mini bit. Those bulges occur when they take a full size bit and refashion it by cutting part out and rejoining it to make it small enough for a Mini. I find most Minis have a very shallow palate and quite often these bits are far too thick for a Mini's mouth as well, they can't close their mouth over it comfortably which is quite often why you see Mini's in the ring with their mouth open. I would send the bit back and ask them to either refund your money or send another bit - not all of them are so rough and I think they usually pick the best ones for their photos!

i have several copper french link snaffles from miniexpress

they're amongst my favorite bits :aktion033:

i find that they hold up fine with my horses, as does my copper mullen and regular snaffle

(maybe they'd get worn with a horse who instists on chewing the bit with his teeth?)

i also have many different mylars: comfort snaffles, mullens, and both high and low ported

i only move to these bits if my french link snaffle or copper mullen aren't doing what i need them to

for example -

jenifer's gelding, who gets his tongue over the bit, now drives in the high port

my stallion on whom i needed more control now drives in a low port mylar

my firey mare drives in a ported slow twist mylar

if you have a picky horse, resign yourself to trying lots of bits
default_wub.png
:

one of my geldings tried nearly every bit in my bit box before we found the perfect fit

i tried 4 different mylars, copper french link... before finding he worked best with an eggbutt french link

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Yeah more responses lol Thank you MiLo & minimor for bringing up bits with bulges in them. I didn't know that companies cut down full size bits so they fit mini's :no: . My mom has one here that she had bought for her miniature donkeys but ended up not using it. I never tryied on Banner because it was a 3 3/4" bit. I never thought it looked very comfortable though
default_unsure.png
: so I prolly wouldn't of used it even if it was 3 1/2". keely2682 Yeah I'm so glad to hear that your copper bits are holding up good, it makes me less leary of trying one
default_yes.gif
: . I think that I'll be getting the copper french link from mini express. Are they good to deal with ? I normally purchase my stuff from ozark mtn. Luckily I don't think Banner is a picky horse
default_wub.png
: tho I'm sure sometimes he dreams about having a rich owner who let him keep his very own collection of bits :lol:

Thanks again :488:

:cheeky-smiley-006: ~Ashley & Banner~ :new_multi:

Excellent advice Keely and Minimor!
default_smile.png

I started a little mare driving in 05 in just a plain half cheek snaffle. She drove well, but she kept bobbing her head. When her owner took her home she bought a french link snaffle and the problem was solved. It made a huge difference! I believe the plain snaffle was pinching her and the french link resolved the issue!

I need to purchase a Myler bit. Can one purchase directly from the company or where is the best place to purcahse one? thank, dionne

Whoo Hooo more good things about the French Link !!!
default_yes.gif
: I will be ordering mine soon I believe :bgrin

One more thing - is miniexpress good to deal with ?

The very BEST!! and I do love that copper french link, except with a chewer.

You could also give this one a try, it looks so much like the mylat, but only costs $27.(US) Quite the deal, IMHO, and works great for the horse I bought it for.

double-jointed snaffle

I am including a picture of the $27. bit as well as the same in a mylar, for $149.

EstateMylerEPB32149.jpg

Shootersnewbit.jpg

Thanks Sue. I was wondering is there a reason that you know why those bits are so cheap? They look just like the original myler
default_wub.png
: might have to pick up one of those as well. I'm so happy that miniexpress is good to deal with... Yippee I love this forum
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks again

~Ashley & Banner~ :lol:

I seriously cannot imagine why the mylar bits are so expensive...

The other bit emulates the mylar that my friend has, so I can't see the difference besides the name. It is marked, Coronet; and time will tell, I suppose, how it fares in comparison.

I can't figure out why the myler's are so expensive either
default_wacko.png
: . Well I might think I'm going to get a french link from mini express and if Banner either seems like he isn't happy with the french link or is driving "weird" I will definently try the double jointed snaffle you suggested... I beleive Leia also suggested them
default_yes.gif
: Thanks everybody for being so helpful !!!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

~Ashley & Banner~
default_wacko.png
:

P.S. - I just had to say I love the horse in your avatar, Sue !!!

Thank you, minidonkeyny. that is my gelding, "Shooter".
default_wub.png
: I can't beleive he's almost six...it seems like yesterday that he was born! :new_shocked:

Which is which?

You could also give this one a try, it looks so much like the mylat, but only costs $27.(US) Quite the deal, IMHO, and works great for the horse I bought it for.

double-jointed snaffle

I am including a picture of the $27. bit as well as the same in a mylar, for $149.

EstateMylerEPB32149.jpg

Shootersnewbit.jpg

Which is which?

double-jointed snaffle

EstateMylerEPB32149.jpg

Shootersnewbit.jpg
i tried this double jointed snaffle and was very unimpressed with it

it does not compare to my mylars or even the mylar look alikes that miniexpress sells

the sides are not scaled down to mini size- they are huge

and the center does not have the same action as a mylar

i disliked it so much that i sold it on ebay at a loss with the original tags still attached

i never put it on one of my horses

the sides are not scaled down to mini size- they are hugeand the center does not have the same action as a mylar
Yes, the half-cheeks are a bit long, but if I decide I don't like the extra length, I can always cut them down, like I have done with a couple of liverpools that I have. You can cut and file stainless very easily. It is the mouthpiece that matters to me; and that, I am very happy with.

As for the action of the centre, you must have a different form of mylar, (as there are many) than the one my friend has, these are almost the same as hers. I figure the wee bit-o-difference, is worth the $122. to me, especially when you consider the exchange we must pay. the real test, as I see it, is when I used it, and my gelding absolutely loves it, as does another friend's mare, her's.

i disliked it so much that i sold it on ebay at a loss with the original tags still attachedi never put it on one of my horses
Wish I'd known...I might have gotten a better deal than I feel I already did.
default_yes.gif
:

There are so many types and styles of bits, and I don't like them all either...it is both our personal likes and dislikes, as well as those of our horses, which matter. If we all liked the same thing, there wouldn't be so many available...
default_smile.png

Which is which?

double-jointed snaffle

EstateMylerEPB32149.jpg

Shootersnewbit.jpg
i tried this double jointed snaffle and was very unimpressed with it

it does not compare to my mylars or even the mylar look alikes that miniexpress sells

the sides are not scaled down to mini size- they are huge

and the center does not have the same action as a mylar

i disliked it so much that i sold it on ebay at a loss with the original tags still attached

i never put it on one of my horses

Do you like the mylar look alikes that mini express sells keely2682?

P.S. - Shooter is very handsome
default_wub.png
: I love his face
default_yes.gif
:

Which is which?
The first pic is the mylar, the cheap one is on the bottom. I will have to check out the mylar look alikes that mini express sells.

P.S. - Shooter is very handsome I love his face
He says Thanks so much!
default_yes.gif
: It is he who carries and likes this bit so much. I am ordering another one, for my husband's gelding as well, now that I know he will like it too, after Shooter lending him his. :bgrin

Which is which?
The first pic is the mylar, the cheap one is on the bottom. I will have to check out the mylar look alikes that mini express sells.

P.S. - Shooter is very handsome I love his face
He says Thanks so much!
default_yes.gif
: It is he who carries and likes this bit so much. I am ordering another one, for my husband's gelding as well, now that I know he will like it too, after Shooter lending him his. :bgrin
Shooter likes the look alike that you suggested, boy decisions decisions
default_wacko.png
: ha ha at least the bits you guys are suggesting aren't $150 a piece :new_shocked: ha ha thanks again
default_yes.gif
:

~Ashley & Banner~

[SIZE=12pt]Does anyone know if the $27.00 look alike is the same bit as the one Mini Express carries?? Or is it a different manufacturer?[/SIZE]

Thanks

Latest posts

Back