5 DAY PANACUR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniequine

Reaction score
My minis are all scheduled to begin a 5 day panacur treatment.

My vet cannot tell me if it is safe for my pregnant mares,

per the package info, but they all seem to think it IS safe.

Any experience/ info out there???

Thanks

~Sandy

Here's a link to a site that sells it and says it IS safe for pregnant mares:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=16120

default_smile.png

Thanks
default_smile.png
)

But if you read the entire package,, this is what bothers me... (in bold below)

I plan to double dose for five days.

Have any of you breeders done this??

Panacur® Paste 10% has been evaluated for safety in pregnant mares during all stages of gestation with doses as high as 11.4 mg/lb. (25 mg/kg) and in stallions with doses as high as 11.4 mg/lb (25 mg/kg). No adverse effects on reproductivity were detected. The recommended dose for control of 4th stage larvae of Strongylus vulagris, 4.6 mg/lb. (10 mg/kg) daily for 5 consecutive days, has not been evaluated for safety in stallions or pregnant mares. .

I guess anything can happen, but I believe fenbendazole (sp?) which is what Panacur is, is very mild and can be given to preg mares on the 5-day routine. I was advised on a particular mare to only do her at the 1x dose per day and not the double dose that is sometimes used on the 5-day plan because she was very malnourished and pregnant, etc. We didn't want to do too much to her at once. For a normal, healthy pregnant mare I've used it successfully.

Good luck!

Do you not have any other wormer in the US that will do the job of the 5 day Panacur? We have several here in the UK. Suggest you have a search about if you are at all worried about your mare.

Anna

Straight from our vet- do not deworm pg mini mares. The only exception is if the mare is already on a low-dose daily dewormer prior to being bred. There is nothing that will kill an unborn fetus faster than the toxins from the dying parasites. That is straight from our vet- experienced in minis and is a very excellent and experienced vet, we feel.

Good luck-

Peggy

I have heard the same from vets.. Some will advise against it..

And I know many people that dont worm pregnant mares, because experience has taught them.

-but you will always find those that will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading the above, can you please tell me what folk who regularly breed from their mares do about worming them? If the mare is foaling once a year say, she will only have a month to be wormed in, and at that time the foal is very 'fragile' and could take 'exception' to what is given to its dam. Also as most mares are foaling in the spring, when do you worm for bots and tapeworm?

I worm my mares regularly, but all mares are wormed 4 weeks before foaling, then not again until 2 to 3 months after.

Really interested in this subject.

Anna

For the past 20+ years we have de-wormed pregnant mares in all stages of pregnancy (from a week of conception up to a few days prior to giving birth) including from time to time using the 5 day double dose pancur. I have yet to experience any negative or adverse effects as a result of the above schedule - no colics, no abortions, no illnesses. To provide an idea of the scope of the above - we normally have around 30 pregnant mares on an annual basis.

In addition, we immediately deworm our mares within 6 hours of foaling.

All of our adult miniature and full size horses are dewormed on an every other month schedule and we rotate between Safeguard/Pancur (same chemical), Ivermectin and Rotectin2/Strongid T(same chemical).

Our foals are dewormed monthly starting at one month of age through twelve months

The above schedule has worked very well for us. Hope this is of help.

For the past 20+ years we have de-wormed pregnant mares in all stages of pregnancy (from a week of conception up to a few days prior to giving birth) including from time to time using the 5 day double dose pancur. I have yet to experience any negative or adverse effects as a result of the above schedule - no colics, no abortions, no illnesses. To provide an idea of the scope of the above - we normally have around 30 pregnant mares on an annual basis.

In addition, we immediately deworm our mares within 6 hours of foaling.

All of our adult miniature and full size horses are dewormed on an every other month schedule and we rotate between Safeguard/Pancur (same chemical), Ivermectin and Rotectin2/Strongid T(same chemical).

Our foals are dewormed monthly starting at one month of age through twelve months

The above schedule has worked very well for us. Hope this is of help.
Thank you.
default_smile.png

~Sandy

One would think YOUR vet should have known the answer to such a general question, :DOH! especially if your vet is an EQUINE vet. It is not a new concept, "worming horses". I think I would start searching for a new vet. Just my observation
default_wink.png

One would think YOUR vet should have known the answer to such a general question, :DOH! especially if your vet is an EQUINE vet. It is not a new concept, "worming horses". I think I would start searching for a new vet. Just my observation
default_wink.png
WOW, Donna,

If YOU were a vet, and THIS is what the package actually says

How Would YOU answer differently?

My vet told me that, although the package information does not say it has been tested save, they all think it is safe.

I asked for breeders experiences with 5 day panacur treatments.

Panacur® Paste 10% has been evaluated for safety in pregnant mares during all stages of gestation with doses as high as 11.4 mg/lb. (25 mg/kg) and in stallions with doses as high as 11.4 mg/lb (25 mg/kg). No adverse effects on reproductivity were detected. The recommended dose for control of 4th stage larvae of Strongylus vulagris, 4.6 mg/lb. (10 mg/kg) daily for 5 consecutive days, has not been evaluated for safety in stallions or pregnant mares. .

We breed horses regularly and worm regularly on a rotating schedule. However, due to the weird weather this year, our regular schedule is not doing the job it usually does. We are doing a Pyrantel x1 day dose for 3 days, followed by Safeguard x 1 dose (panacur) and then Ivermectin in 1 week. I have had a friend whose vet used this schedule and cleared all worms, so we are going with it. It seems adequate but less stressful than panacur 5 day. We have never had any abortions due to worming our pregnant mares. We started this regimen yesterday so I will let you know how it goes.

Fenbendazole on it's own as a one day dose is a foal only dosage- or a very emaciated horse that you want to go slowly on.

IME it does almost nothing at all in a healthy horse and should not be used in any "rotational" worming (WHY do people rotate???????)

Five day (in the states double dose in Europe single dose) Fenbendazole, followed in ten days time by Ivermectin will clear all worms except Tapes (which should be attacked as per your Ag Agents instructions for your area, if you are lucky your Vet may know but I would still double check)

If you wish to worm for Tapes at the same time you can get a Ivermectin/Praziquantel double dose for this application.

Those are the only deworming chemicals necessary- random rotation serves no purpose.

Changing the wormer to attack the worm in question at different seasons makes sense, changing the wormer every month does not.

Use the chemicals in keeping with the instructions on the pack- ie every eight weeks for Ivermectin, every six weeks for Fenbendazole (although I would not use it as a routine dewormer) and Pyrantel (same thing, do not use it)

There is no known resistance to Ivermectin in horses (apart form a seriously out of date survey done in restricted circumstances.)

You can use Fenbendazole to worm your cats and dogs too- the dosage is different but not critical.

The five day course is not a purge and will not harm foals or mature stock, IME, it is perfectly safe in pregnant mares at all stages and breeding stallions.

Every day dewormers are suspect as they are now thought to cause resistance- I shall try and find the write up on that, I was interested to read it.

Latest posts

Back