42 yr. old mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amanda, whowza, a foal every yr. for 36 yrs!! Thats amazing and like you said, probablly not the norm. With my limited knowledge I really thought that about 20 would be the age to stop breeding...I have no idea how I came up with that # though.

Going back to my original question

When and How do you all decide that its no longer safe or healthy to breed a particular mare? Or does she just sort of tell you?

I just noticed that 994 people have read my post... me wondering if a 42 yr. old horse could be pregnant....now I do feel like the stupidest mini owner on the planet.

Bravo to both of you for keeping it civil. We need more of that in this world.

And yes, it would be nice to think our broodmares could live to 42 and be healthy enough to still get in foal. I've got some almost into their twenties that are doing well and having lovely healthy babies. So far so good
default_smile.png
In the mini book by Barbara N. there is a mini mare that is 40 and it states that she has a foal every year of her life until she was 36, WOW, that is some mare. She still looked good in her old age too. Not the norm though, I'm thinking.
Off topic, but my 1st thought was "wow...kinda like the Duggars"....lmao
default_rolleyes.gif
default_unsure.png

Our mares will tell us when they're done. When it starts getting harder to keep weight on them after foaling, I call it quits. I have a few mares getting close to 20 and they'll all be retired once they hit that mark. They are all super healthy and in great weight, I just think they deserve to live out the rest of their lives being the spoiled queens that they are without having the burdens and risks of foaling. I've never bred any of my mares year after year consecutively, I think they need breaks from carrying a foal and then raising it, both physically and mentally. I know some people have had mares foal well into their 20's, and can understand that if the mare is healthy and in good weight-and as long as the breeder understands the extra risks involved breeding an older mare.

there is a mini mare that is 40 and it states that she has a foal every year of her life until she was 36
About 32 years straight of foals? OUCH. I guess she definitely earned her keep.

ETA: LittleRibbie, ALL questions asked are good ones, you should never feel stupid asking. Your post apologizing to the owner of the mare in question was wonderful, so kudos to you for that. Plus, I like that you went from that to trying to make the thread an educational one. EXTRA kudos
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back