3 years ago tonight I lost my first mini and dear friend

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watcheye

Reaction score
Its hard for me to think about but three years ago tonight I lost my little mini gelding Mckeever. He is in my Avatar. I keep thinking about putting new pics there but cant seem to bring myself to do it. I recieved Mckeever at age 9 as a birthday gift. I had kind of a nasty riding accident a few years before that and it had left me somewhat shy of horses. We were in the process of moving and bording our horses at a stable in MI. It was at this facility that a brown (could have been bay but I think he was pretty much brown) named Thor lived. I loved to watch him every time we visited. Mom spoke to his owner and found out where she got him. It was either in the UP of Michigan or northern MI. The lady also had a place in southern MI. Mom got to look at two pictures. Both of chestnut colts but one had BLUE EYES and she knew it had to be him. He had papers I believe but mom did not get them for one reason or another (not blaming breeder - we were moving and mom was not very good about those at that time). His previous barn name was Clancy and he was 2. I wish I knew who mom got him from though just beacause (it was about 16 years ago now). I would love just for giggles to know his pedagree (even if it was no one - just to see some one related to him maybe). I would love to thank the lady that sold him to my mom. I named him Mckeever after a shetland we had that looked like him.

Mckeever taught me SO MUCH and I didnt want to go anywhere without him. Really, it annoyed my non horsey friends. I got back into big horses. I drew horses more and worked on more art in general. He was the FIRST horse caricature I had ever done. I taught him to pull me in a wagon (mom quickly bought me a cart hee hee). He also pulled me in a sled. We were in parades and visited schools. He helped me with assignments. Mckeever was a blessing for sure. He was taken from me fast but I was with him (he kept crying for me every time I tried to run for just a minute to the house to yell for my brother to call mom (at work in the ER), the vet and our horsey friend Dot (both Dot and the vet were racing over already and mom was fast behind them). It was a very rough night. One of those nights that leaves you in the twilight zone... I cant believe it happened...

I always worry that as the years go by that I am forgetting him. Of course I will never forget him but he seems farther and farther away. My bay colt Keegan is probably the closest mini relationship I have to the bond with me and Mckeever. He and I pal around all of the time like Mck but I know thats not him. Like I say, you can never replace them but you can love again.

Right after he died I said I was not getting another mini. Mom was determined that I should get one and after a good deal of coaxing I got on line. It was then I Found lil beginnings and some wonderful new friends...

Its hard to think that I will never get any new photos of him

mckeever.jpg

thrueye.jpg

I like to PRETEND that was related to Red boy because I have no clue who his sire and dam were.

McKeeverandI.jpg

1c152325.jpg

Snowberry Farms (wonderful people!) blessed me with these two beauties who are very near and dear to me. They were a great help in my healing and acdepting that I could indeed still have minis

tongue_out.jpg

McKeevershowycrop.jpg

McKeeverintheflowers.jpg

Mckeeverportrait.jpg

WOW
default_crybaby.gif

What a beautiful yet tragic story. He sure was gorgeous. I know you won't ever forget him because I have never forgot my my soul mate in horse flesh and it's been a good 10 years. There's no way you can ever put into words the bond we feel with these special creatures when we truly connect
default_wub.png

Thanks guys. I try to do everything in the memory of my lost pets and he is in the lead. Of course I do art of my living and wonderful pets too but there is something about Mckeever...

I'm so sorry he's gone, but it's obvious he will never be forgotten. What a wonderful story you wrote as a tribute to him and to allow all of us to know him in some way. Thank you.

Im so sorry I can tell you love him very much. Im sure you will never forget him, with a bond like that you will always remember him. [[[hugs]]]

awe im so sorry to hear that, beautful horse! i love the drawing its amazing!! :DOH!

I'm so sorry. He was a gorgeous horse. He reminds me a little bit of my Red.

I've had horses that were my heart and soul, but there is one that I lost five years ago that reminds me of exactly how you are feeling. No other horse could ever replace him.

Kim

Your post went straight to my heart...I lost my soul mate almost 2 years ago
default_no.gif

I love all of my minis, but it's different when you have that special connection, and that connection is then ended suddenly.

I want to say "may time heal your broken heart" but I understand where you're coming from...it's in my signature...

I am sorry for your loss...

Liz R.

I'm so sorry.
default_sad.png
But I'm sure you will never forget him because of the bond you two had.
default_wink.png
The first picture is absolutely gorgeous!
default_wub.png

He looked like a very special boy...

A great tribute to a great horse

*Lisa(GOTTACK) that second picture that is morphed is amazing. I love it! So sweet.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I'm so sorry for your loss. He has a beautiful face. I lost my dog soulmate a couple of years ago and it still hurts, and you never forget them but eventually you make room for new loves. Each are given to us or chosen for us by a higher power and each will bring something special to our life. Cherish your memories and enjoy your new gifts. Don't worry you will never forget him.

Hey everyone. Thank you so much for you kind words and photoshops of Mckeever. They are lovely and very thoughtful. I appriciate it. So sorry my responce was slow. I wasnt able to get to the computer for a while but I wanted everyone to know that I am very grateful to all of you. Mckeever was very special and will be forever.
default_wub.png
I will try to do some more art of him and scan some old pictures from the photo album. I feel bad because my post was very jumbled. I forgot things and so on so forth. I will try to post more later.

What a Beautiful boy you had... Sad that you lost him but you did have some very special years and have those memories

Latest posts

Back