3 month old filly with locked stiffle problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilysmom

Reaction score
I slowly noticed her having issues with one of her rear legs. Vet says its alocked stiffle she drags it a bit and then it will work and she can use it. She doesnt have issues when shes running like a crazy horse though. Vet recommended running her and backing her up to work it. Anyone have any other advice. I know they can cut the tendon if it doesnt correct but would really like any other info. any supplements or other suggestions???? This is my very first foal and will be my only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one at that age that locked. I was told to make sure he had lots of room to run around in, no stalling unless just during feeding. No round pen work as its hard on the stifles. The more hills the better, and up the protein content on the feed. My vet recomended adding more alfalfa hay or pellets, something about a growth spurt. Not sure which of those worked but it was gone by the time he was 7 months. He is now a 4 year old gelding who has not locked since but my oh my what a fat little begger he is!!
default_yes.gif

It's more likely a growth spurt. Certainty something to watch for in the future in case it's genetic. I just wouldn't rule them out yet this young. I had a yearling that had a locking stifle and heard she still continues to do so. At this stage of the game I wouldn't consider surgery. Just let her have lots of room to run, no forced exercise, and yes if it locks just back her up. Worst thing you can do for her is keep her in a stall or small enclosure.

Ok thats good news. I plan on keeping her turned loose and not up in the pen anymore. she runs really fast and seems to be fine then but when she starts grazing it draggs from most of the time. Fingers crossed that it heals she my first and only foal...and such a angel

Also make sure her rear toes are kept short, some will square them as well, sometimes that will help by helping the foot break over faster in each stride.

Karen

I have not known one person who had a foal do that where it turned out to be a growth spurt, or that they grew out of it. They all got worse with age, actually. I am sure i'll be flamed by some, but my suit is on- and my own opinion is people keep breeding horses with this problem and make excuses and this is one reason it continues and seems to be becoming a more noticable problem in the Minis.

Laurie I do agree with you and feel that it is genetic, but I've personally seen one that had stifle issues when he was younger, he never locked and I feel that if you have one that's locked it's more serious, but he did grew out of it once he started driving, he greatly improved and you no longer notice a problem, and doesn't matter he's a gelding and shows and is a all-around performance horse. I would hate to say oh this filly will need surgery when she is only 3 months old and it sounds like she was kept in a enclosed pen which is never good and also good advice about keeping those back feet trimmed. I do agree tho you really have too look at them as potential breeding prospects as this is a chronic problem with miniatures.

I have a mare, as a filly developed locking stifle. She did have the surgery to cut the tendon as a weanling and between weaning and a year old her leg locked twice after the surgery. Backing her up in a line would help it pop back in so to speak. I put her on a joint supplement after the surgery too. She is now 8 years old and has never locked since. She actually is a very nice mover, no lameness at all.

I also agree that a certain build that is more likely to cause stifle problems could definately be genetic, but I have also seen angles change in growing foals just like when some go butt high and then come back to level... obviously their angles are doing some changes as well during those "spurts". My boy was not gelded because of his stifles but I can guarantee that he never did it again after 7 months and no he did not have surgery, special exercise or anything else, just out in the field with my other munchkins!

I do have one now (not related BTW) that has locked up since she was about 5 months old and she is now almost 2. Her hips are not built nicely at all and was not thinking hers would be a growth spurt thing and sure enough now i just wait for her to mature up so that she can have the surgery. And before i get flamed... NO she will not be bred and I knew she was not breeding quality the moment she was born... She will always just be a pet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back