2nd Foal for Azariah Miniatures has arrived

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie/Azariah

Reaction score
Our Maiden Mare Romanderos Sirs Majestic Angel (granddaughter of Cross Country Call Me Sir) had an outstanding Buckskin Pinto Colt by our Stallion Vermyleas Dandy Grand Finale (Son of Rhotens Little Dandy) at 5:15 this morning.

Tight fit, but pretty normal foaling. I have spent ALL day trying to get him to nurse.

Have been pumping milk and using a syringe to get it in. Having trouble with the position.

After 8 hours we have finally gotten him to latch on for a few minutes.

Not that he hasn't been trying, the poor little guy has been sucking for almost the whole time. He just can't get his head at the right angle to latch on.

I was by myself most of the morning and both Angel and me were getting very frustrated. Around 11:30 my friend was able to come and help.

We are absolutely thrilled with this little guy. Tiny, refined, leggy, short back beautiful head and large, soft eye.

Angel is a Chestnut Tovero with blue eyes that carries on Agouti Gene and Finale is a smokey black tobiano (heterozygous tobiano, homozygous black with a creme gene)

And THIS is what we GOT !
default_new_multi.gif

IMG_6431.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

WOW!! Look at that colour!! What a fabulous combination! Many congratulations on your gorgeous new colt - really hope he can get the nursing bit sorted very soon! Did you try just leaving him to it at the beginning -- occasionally foals simply dont want to be helped and can appear to be totally clueless when offered human assistance. Sorry, not meaning to be critical - I'm sure you know all this - but I sometimes think that folk get a bit obsessed with the fact that the foal must drink more or less as soon as it is standing. Here, once we can see that all is well with a mare and her new baby, we leave them well alone (it is HER baby after all) to bond with each other - just keeping watch from a distance. If the foal has not had a drink after 3 or 4 hours then we will try to assist/take appropriate action.

Maybe you could try a little syrup on the mare's teats, or if you can get him to take a bottle, you could hold the bottle between the mares back legs and near her teats, getting him to follow the bottle towrds her teats. Have to admit that most foals eventually learn to 'twist' their heads to properly reach the teats in time.

Good luck!

Anna

Thanks Anna...

I sure do know what you mean. And by all day... I was in the stall pretty much, but spent quite a bit of time watching the TV monitor trying to let them sort it out on their own.

But... she would get so full that he couldn't latch on even if he was in the right position, so she would get angry at him because it hurt, so we would hold her and let him try...

Hours of that and he didn't latch on.

Meanwhile we pumped her several times and gave him a feeding (per the vet) to keep his energy up and to help soften her udder.

At about 6 hours we did start getting aggressive "helping" him. And surprisingly, he really was seeking our help at that point. ( I have had them resist any help we offered :O)

And around 8 hours he got a few sips, finally laid down to take a nap and is back at it.

I think (watching the monitor) he did latch on by himself.

He gets a better angle from her left side, but momma wants him on her right side....so I may need to go out and hold again.

Vet is on her way to do an IGG to make sure we have gotten enough in him to be safe.

Has been a long day as I am totally focused on the TV monitor or in the barn... but it will be worth it when he finally settles into this new world.

Congratulations Julie!! Look at his EYE!!! Wow! I'm a sucker for a big, soft eye. I hope to hear that he's gotten the hang of it soon. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.

Thanks for not taking offence Julie - it is sometimes difficult to know who you are talking to via the internet - experience wise - so one just has to offer a personal suggestion in the hope it might help. It is certainly not easy with any mare with a tight bag, let alone a maiden mare especially if they have decided they want their new baby to drink from a specific side!!

Hopefully your vet will help sort everything out and give your new little man the boost needed to keep his enthusiasm growing!

He certainly is an amazing colour - is it the same on his other side?

Anna

[SIZE=12pt]Congratulations.... I just love his color and he's very nice.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
What an exciting little boy! Congratulations!

Can totally relate to your frustration........between having a maiden mare with a full "cow udder", and a BOY who wasn't quite GETTING IT....... arrrggghhh! (And you probably exhausted too.)

Hope all is falling into place by now.

Congratulations, Julie! Handsome little guy.
default_smile.png

Hopefully, he's nursing by now. If finding the udder is a problem, try holding the mares leg up on the side the foal is on. If he's anywhere in the area, that should help him locate the udder much easier. One of the vet techs at a local equine hospital showed me that trick. Really seems to help. I did that with one of my foals born a few weeks ago. He was looking everywhere but under the mare. I raised the mares back leg on the side the colt was and that put the udder right in his face. He latched on and never lost track of the udder again!
default_biggrin.png

Congratulations Julie, he's wonderful!
default_wub.png

Has anyone other than me noticed it seems to be boys that have more trouble finding the milk than the fillies?
default_laugh.png

Yup, holding up the mare's hind leg has worked for us for years!
default_yes.gif

Congratulations! I love him!!! Do I see driving in his future??? Sorry I can't help with the nursing issue but I hope he has caught on by now.

Grandpa Sir says a big congrats to you and Angel.
default_biggrin.png
Wow you really got the color going on there, uh.
default_saludando.gif

He's very handsome Julie. Just remember, watch his throat and listen for the gulp. Sometimes they get a little more than we give them credit for.

If you are in a bind and need a hand in an emergency, I'm about an hour away, all you have to do is give me a ring.

He is now latching, but only from Angels left side. We had been trying to lift her leg, but she was so sore when he would touch her that it became a fight.

The vet was here about an hour ago. Igg was not great, around 400, but not to the point that she is real worried. We did run a CBC on him.

She watched him try to nurse and decided to give Angel just a little bit of Ace since we need to keep him strong and he is only able to nurse when I hold momma.

Angel likes him on her right side but does fine when I hold her and he comes from the left. She moves alot when he tries on his own.

He is strong and seems quite normal... just a little doll. I am quite pleased with him.

I ask you to pray that he has gotten enough colostrum and that he continues to figure this all out.

It has been a long day~~ but a very good one. I am exhaused and have two more mares that look quite ready to pop (day 330 and day 328)

Now... if I could just think of a name...He looks a whole lot like his AMHA Reserve World Champion Buckskin Pinto Brother Abrias Dandy Valor....

I am thinking something with Sir and Dandy in it :O)

Wow! Julie- so glad he is doing better. Glad you are keeping track of the IgG - hope it continues to improve!

Peggy

He is fabulous! Congrats!
default_wub.png

Got my fingers crossed and prayers said the nursing goes better sooner than later!

Congratulations on your nice looking guy. Hope meal time starts going smoother soon.

Another beautiful foal for you Julie, congrats. I love his color too.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back