2 bred mare issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
Well,i guess this 70 degree day has really messed one of my mares up....charlie sue ( in color help topic) has not been in heat since last march when I saw her bred...at least I havent seen her..well guess what? The crazy thing is twitching her tail and "blinking"at dj. She has been with a stallion the whole time,no bagging,but does have a belly....so what gives??? I would say she is giving off,the "heat" smell before she foals,but I dont think she is that close..

Another mare,i purchased bred,delivered her last foal march 8 2011 and looks to have been bred on her foal heat.she has a huge belly ,has dropped,but no bagging up. So I am curiously waiting to see if we get a baby soon,or in a month or so...i have had a few fullsize horses drop after foaling...i hope we see some bagging soon.im getting worried.

I might get flamed here, but I'll say, there could be several things going on here. First is that mares seem to reach their peak conception in April, May, so she may have conceived at that time since you haven't noticed her in season. Some mini mares seem to continue to cycle when spring comes, some don't. It has been my experience that once mares are bred to remove them from the stallion, this is were I might get flamed, if a mare lets the stallion bred her, she stands the risk of aborting the foal, as the male parts, (penis) if I can say that word, can touch the cervix, causing an abortion. Then they will come into season again. Also some mares will allow the stallion to service them and this causes this problem. Also maybe your mare didn't take and is now coming back in. I haven't bred any mares for two years, but my mares have been coming in all season long since the weather is warm, and I don't understand this, as I thought it was due to daylight hours, but you just never know. I don't leave my pregnant mares in with stallions once pregnancy is confirmed as I did it once and the mare let the stallion bred with her causing an abortion, my vet said it was because of the above statement.

It has been a very strange weather year and I too have had mares that look pregnant showing strong heat cycles lately. Had written them off for foals this year but dang, they so look bred I think I may have to have the vet out to check, several mares in strong heat right now and though I am aware horses, esp minis, can cycle all year long I have never had so many showing strong heat cycles in the winter before...stallions are going nuts, acting more like April then February!!

I thin, spring is on its way fast....at least my horses do..love is in the 75 degree air....shes not flagging at him today?! Who knows, sheesh

Whether the groundhog sees his shadow or not, there is always 6 weeks more weeks of winter from Feb 2 to March 20/21 the first day of Spring (it was always March 21 when I was a kid, my best friend's birthday, but now I think its listed as March 20).
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back