WinchesterGirl30....mare getting close

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Becoming 'slab-sided' shows that baby has lined up spine-to-spine with momma, so is in position. Sometimes at this point, momma doesn't even look pregnant from the back. But then look with a full side view of momma, and look for her baby bulge to be slightly "forward-of-center". At that point, baby has lined up for birth.

Then, we look for vulva color changes, or if you're using the test strips, we're looking for a drop of pH, or waxing, and a variety of personality changes.

I wish I could predict exactly how long after this happens that baby will be born, but momma is in control at that point, and we wait.......impatiently!

Once these changes happen though, it is very important to watch as closely as you can. They can foal when your going for a cup of coffee or a bathroom break. So, be as attentive as you can, because we just never know WHICH mare will need our help to bring her baby safely to the ground.

Praying for an easy and uneventful foaling for you!

Oh goodness! I was just useless for Patty! I thought slab sided was when the baby was laying mostly on one side and just poking out really bad on that side! That is what it sounds like it should be to me. Thank goodness I don't give any advice! I just keep learning more and more!

Hahaha I know what you mean Kim! Patty your mare?

This is what was in my barn this morning at home apparently. Now gotta wait till tomorrow night to see the new one. My parents are not horse people so they aren't sure if it's a colt or filly yet...hopefully soon...last one was a girl for two days till they saw something hanging down lol

IMG_20150423_061827.jpg

One more pic of the very new baby! Consensus is that it's a filly... lol they have learn lots of horses since I left so hopefully they are right this time lol.

DSC_0315.JPG

Congratulations!!! Very cute. Let's see if they got it right this time
default_smile.png

She is a beauty! She is solid black?

Yes Patty is my little mare. She had her baby without me.

For the first few hours my son told us she was a colt! His girlfriend came over and told us she was a filly!

Congratulations!

Yup, though I imagine she's actually a vary dark bay, her sire is a very dark bay as is my mare so I'd say this little one like will be as well. Lmao yeah exactly, but if your not a horse person hard to tell but that's what my mom looked at today and she says two so it's a filly...we think anyway.

Now semi unrelated, but mom says that she has blue eyes, I'm kinda thinking it's just the lighting they looked tinted blue, but how common is it to have a solid filly with blue eyes? I don't know what the dams parents were or the sires parents only that they are both both solid dark bays.

Some babies are born with blue eyes but turn brown over time. We have a buckskin splash colt that has crystal blue eyes. They will not change. The other colt (either silver black or silver smoky black) had light blue eye when born, but are changing over to brown.

My mom took a picture to show me as I won't be home till tomorrow, but I haven't seen it yet. So technically she could keep the blue eyes, but they will have to be the bright steel blue almost white ones, darker ones likely won't stay? Good to know! Thanks!

I laugh at clients who can't tell the gender of there cats. But they can be difficult I geuss
Rather young cats can be hard to tell, especially if you don't know what you are looking for. Eventually, toms are obvious.

I used to breed, not like for shows but to sell to locals for pets. It took us a lot of liters before we could get it right first try and be confident we were right! So hard to tell!

Also got the pic from my mom, if you zoom in a bit you can see her eyes, think they will stay? They almost look to dark to me but I really have no idea lol I'm.just curious and excited to get home tomorrow lol

IMG_20150423_081852.jpg

Latest posts

Back