whats your opinion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabrina

Reaction score
my mum and i were discussing this the other night and couldn't come to an agreement. she said she thought a horse (mini or otherwise) is just fine without a companion other than their person and i thought that since a person can't be there with them 24/7 that it is best to have a companion for them . what is your opion?

I think they prefer the "herd environment"

I would not have a "solo" at least a "duet"
default_biggrin.png

In general, horses are herd animals and do better with at least one of their own kind for company; but now and then, you come across a horse that does like/prefer to be alone, however they are far and few between.

I think you need to look at the whole situation, not just how many equines there are. A single horse kept in a stall or small turnout more of the time and never seeing other horses might not be very happy (depending on the individual). Maybe my attitude comes from when I was a teen in the 60's with a single horse and many of my classmates also kept a horse in their backyard. I would ride every day after school and it was common to run into one or more of my friends out for a ride, so our horses had frequent companionship. None of them seemed neglected or to suffer ill effects.

One of the things I caution people about when they want a mini for a companion for their big horse (which is how we got into minis!) is what happens to the mini when you want to ride? In my case, I trail rode a lot before we got our companion mini, and I was lucky that Target (the big horse) did most of the separation training! He would go just out of sight of Cowboy for a few minutes, then run back to show him it was OK. Over a couple of weeks he would gradually stay out of sight longer and longer, until I was able to take him out for trail rides. But I consider that with 2 equines there is always a huge danger that they will get so attached that they could get hurt (or hurt a handler/rider) when they do have to be separated. I never had to worry about that when I just had one horse.

I believe some horses are perfectly happy by themselves. My stallion, Royal, is content whatever the situation is. After he bred (hand-bred) Lexus a year and a half ago, I had him turned out with her and he was such a gentleman; he would just groom her and play a bit. But he was also happy paying no attention to her at all during the whole day they were turned out. Once she had Briar, Royal was out by himself (and has been since), out of site of anyone except when he's in the barn, of course). He just takes things as they come. Where Lex and Briar will be visibly upset if they're left alone in the barn or paddock, Royal could care less; he doesn't even whinny when someone comes or goes. As long as there's food and shelter he is happy. Saying that, I think that he's definitely an exception and not the rule.

I believe some horses are perfectly happy by themselves.

My stallion, Royal, is content whatever the situation is. After he bred (hand-bred) Lexus a year and a half ago, I had him turned out with her and he was such a gentleman; he would just groom her and play a bit. But he was also happy paying no attention to her at all during the whole day they were turned out. Once she had Briar, Royal was out by himself (and has been since), out of site of anyone (except when he's in the barn, of course). He just takes things as they come; very very laid-back whether he's around mares, other stallions, or by himself. Where Lex and Briar will be visibly upset if they're left alone in the barn or paddock, Royal could care less; he doesn't even whinny when someone comes or goes (he gives a "hello" when he comes into the barn on occasion). As long as there's food and shelter he is happy
default_wub.png
. Saying that, I think that he's definitely an exception and not the rule.

If you have 2 you need 3 or 4 because if you leave one home and the other is out for a drive, OMG. They can put up a fuss. Also we had an incident (we had 2). one mare had a foal and we took the other mare (that wanted the other mares baby) out for a drive and kept her at my brothers house for a couple of hours. The mare we were driving is a dead broke been there done that kind of horse. You can drive her in traffic with buses and semi's and what ever you want to throw at her. Anyway, she was missing the foal and became a runaway. I stopped her within a half a block. But when they want to get back to their buddy or something else at home, they can become quite dangerous. One horse is enough if you spend time with it. But, you really do need to spend every day with them.

Latest posts

Back