What is the earliest a filly could be bred and then

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
Really need some help: What is the earliest experience you have had with a filly breeding with a stallion and then becoming pregnant by it?
default_wacko.png

Regardless if by accident, on purpose or purchased with a surprise package.

Really need some insight by experienced persons.

I have never had accidental breedings- ever. Yearling fillies can start cycling that spring, so I am assuming they could be fertile at that time as well.

I have heard as early as 6-9 months. This is why most farms separate fillies and colts after weaning at about 6 months.

Andrea

It depends on the maturity of the filly/mare. Some can start to cycle as early as 6 months, but they almost never ovulate until at least 12-14 months (that is what research and my vets have said)

Bought a shetland filly that turned out to be pregnant by her sire, she aborted in the fall of her yearling year by the size of the fetus must have been bred around 8 to 10 months of age. Was later diagnosed with infantile uterus caused by being bred too early...could never carry a foal.

I bought a mare that was just turning three, she had a nine month old running at her side. Do the math and that puts her at concieving when she was about a year and a half. She also turned out to be a month pregnant again.

I would not be comfortable with a filly being around a stallion after 6 months. With my own filly's Iv noticed them go into heat around that year mark which makes sense as its spring then and all my mares become raging hornballs.

Definitely by one year, quite possibly a lot earlier. I agree that most animals, irrespective of their early cycling, are not actually fertile at six months, but would never take a chance myself on this being true, as, as always, it would be the horse that paid the ultimate price....

The reason I was asking is the little rescue mini (in Avatar) you may remember we picked her up at an auction last Nov 09 at approximately 9 mo old. She was a scale of 2 (1 (dead) 10 fat). She was bony and ribby, but always had a pot belly (which I chalked up to worms). Over the course of the last 10 mo (now 19 mo old) she is now the picture of health. She has been wormed on several occasions along with shots, floats, etc., but she has never gotten rid of that belly which seems to be pretty solid and large. She does not have the look some mares look when PG (barn large), she is just larger than I feel is normal for a mini her size. She also has not seemed to go into estrus/heat. She has not been near a stud since I have owned her which means she could have only conceived before we got her making her approximately 10 mo along. Could it be possible with her scenario?

A friend of my told me if she was so malnourished and sick she could have looked younger than she actually was and it could be? My friend is not a mini person, so I was asking for those with experience in this area.

I am hoping it is just all baby fat.
default_rolleyes.gif

Yes, They (being her and my others) will be seeing a vet for fall shots, teeth check & etc and I will also have the Vet see if she can hear two heart beats. Is there any way to tell be looking on a maiden mare.

I bought a yearling APHA mare.. (I know , not a mini lol) but she had a HUGE belly when i picked her up!! I even emailed the person I bought her from to double check she wasn't pastured with a stallion.... but nope, she hadn't been.

She was wormed, and fed good quality feed and she DID sort of loose the belly, some days you can look at her, and she looks like a BRED mare!! but then she'll be back to normal in a few days.. strange...

If I knew how to share a photo on here, i'd share one of her from a couple weeks ago-looking HUGE!

hope your little mare doesn't turn out to be bred, that's so sad..so young AND malnourished being bred
default_sad.png

Gl~

Latest posts

Back