What a relaxing afternoon

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
Some of you will recall me asking for ideas on how to take the broodmare belly off of my driving horse. I got some great ideas and I tried some different things and her belly has decreased but I have to say its sadly not gone. I suppose she may always have a less than svelte underline now but after today, it hardly seems important anymore.
default_biggrin.png

I have had Bucky in hard work (working for at least 1/2 hour usually closer to 1 hour) since the end of June. Before that we just spent time rebuilding muscle and wind so she could handle the work. I drive her a minimum of 3x a week, usually its 4x and 1 or 2 days in the round pen, doing jumps etc for a change of pace. I tell you all this so you know I didn't just haul her out and expect miracles lol. Today I took her to the arena, tacked her up,(noted she was still in heat
default_rolleyes.gif
great, this mare is always so flaky when she is in season)and started what I expected to be a drive working on straightness and using her rear end well, we spent probably 20 minutes doing walk trot stop trot transitions and some big circles when it occurred to me that she was unusually light in the front end. I actually had to take up some slack in my reins from where I usually hold them. She was also more responsive than ever(she always answers to a light request but today I had to really pay attention to my rein aids). She shied a couple of times in one corner of the arena and after stopping her there for a moment I could see that her blinders were not sitting right. So I went around and adjusted them so they were positioned the same on both sides, got back in and ...shying gone, but not that wonderful lightness. Now we have been having drives lately where she wanted to go with her head tilted to the side I last turned and then dropping her head to nearly ground level and over flexing at the poll, so to have her going to upheaded and collected was wonderful and I couldn't stop smiling. Since there was nothing that I could think of to work on, (I will have to develop a new lesson plan I guess) I decided to take a day off from figures and go for a cross country drive. This is the first time this year that we've been out of the arena because of out very wet weather even tho most years we spend a lot of time going thro my back fields. We left the arena, walked down to the house and then headed down our very steep and quite long, driveway. She was alert, ears forward and marching along like she had somewhere important to go. At the bottom of the driveway I turned her down our gravel road and asked her to trot, we were flying, she was so happy to be 'free' from the classroom, you could see it in the freedom she showed in her stride, head up, ears forward, tail bouncing lightly. Yup, she was happy. After a moment I slowed her to a working trot and we continued on about 1/2 mile or so at that gait. At one point I looked down and saw our shadow and dearly wished I could get a picture of that horse trotting with so much rhythm. When we reached the junction of our gravel road and the next paved one I slowed her to a walk, turned her around and headed for home. She didn't set one foot out of place, trotted on with that same swinging lightness until we reached my driveway and then slowed to a walk to make the climb. Now its a big job to pull that hill with a driver on board but she just hunkered down and did what she needed to. In all, arena time included we were out for just over an hour. Now for the part that really thrilled me, when I untacked her I noticed that she was already breathing normally again. I think my girl, for all her round belly, is fit. More than that I think she can use herself well and efficiently. Plus
default_wub.png
she understands her job and enjoys it. And on this first sunny afternoon in what feels like forever, our communication was nearly perfect.
default_biggrin.png

Thanks for letting me share, I was so full of the thrill of our drive and no one else here but me. Had to tell someone
default_yes.gif
I gave my girl an extra long grooming as a reward for doing so well.

And on this first sunny afternoon in what feels like forever, our communication was nearly perfect.
default_biggrin.png
What a wonderful day for you! It's such an incredible feeling when it all comes together - that's why we do all this work, for the times like the drive you had today
default_aktion033.gif

Hope you have many more wonderful drives!

Thanks guys.
default_smile.png
You are right Flying minis, that is what I have spent the past 6 years working for and altho there have been many small triumphs over that time yesterdays drive was so where I wanted to be with her that I was overjoyed. Everything seemed to come together at once, weather, training , fitness level and even mood (hers and mine) to create the perfect afternoon. We have both come a long way since the first time I hitched her and we bumbled along, it helps me believe I will get there with my youngsters too eventually. A day like that restores your patience for the day to day working thro each small step.

Thank you for sharing your experience so eloquently! It's always so great to hear of the results of hard work.

As to the belly...have you tried cross training -- perhaps jumping, cavaletti, or cones/obstacle driving -- to use different muscles or use the same muscles in a different manner?

Or maybe get her doing sit-ups -- YES -- there's the ticket!

Since there was nothing that I could think of to work on, (I will have to develop a new lesson plan I guess) I decided to take a day off from figures and go for a cross country drive.
There is even a lot for the horse to learn on a drive and they really do appreciate the opportunity for the "field trip" outside the "classroom"!
default_aktion033.gif

Myrna

As to the belly...have you tried cross training -- perhaps jumping, cavaletti, or cones/obstacle driving -- to use different muscles or use the same muscles in a different manner?

We do at least one day a week in the round pen, cantering,some rollbacks, doing a variety of small jumps,trot poles and practicing her response to verbal commands. "walk, trot, canter, reverse" as well as a sound cue to extend or "steady" to return to a working trot. On top of that she is in a large (probably at least 1/4 acre) dry lot full of trees, little hills and hollows, with 5 other horses and they spend a lot of time moving about there, sometimes even running
default_wink.png
. Someone did suggest doing belly lifts but she gets cranky after a couple and I don't enjoy them either so we forgo those now. Or maybe get her doing sit-ups -- YES -- there's the ticket!

Now how can I coach her on sit ups when I can't do them? Next you'll have us both in boot camp somewhere
default_laugh.png

There is even a lot for the horse to learn on a drive and they really do appreciate the opportunity for the "field trip" outside the "classroom"!
default_aktion033.gif

Yes a change of scene is good for having a clearer mind and happier attitude for sure, not to mention the variety of terrain and natural obstacles that give her a reason to turn, side step or stop etc. There just has been sooo much rain this year that our usual trails are only good for mud bogging. I'm lucky to have an outdoor arena that drains well and allows use in almost any season (winter aside since I don't want to scrape the footing by plowing snow and we don't have a snowblower) I rarely drive on the roads because the drivers around here are crazy. I did years ago but one day we were nearly side swiped by a gravel truck (fortunately Bucky has no fear of anything motorized) and I thought our lives were about to end. After that I chose to stick to fields and bush roads, I'd rather deal with bears than people.

Now I'm off to hitch her again, we'll see if it was a one day thing or her new normal (hmm I need a 'fingers crossed' smiley
default_smile.png
)

That all sounds so wonderful and I am so excited as my boy is "nearly" there and I cant wait for our first drive too (any pics?)

Sorry, the only pictures are in my memory since I am alone until evening. For those who are concerned, I do recognize the risks of driving alone and always carry my cell phone as well as I have certain routes that I will follow so if someone had to look for me they would know where to start.

She was very calm and relaxed today. Did a long walk thro a back trail (too uneven to trot) and let her stretch herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved reading about your drive.
default_yes.gif
It sounds like you both are doing well and developing into a great team!

Angie

Congratulations! Those days really do make it all worth it; I've been on a high for the last week with my two and had almost forgotten what that felt like.
default_wacko.png
Bucky sounds like she was doing wonderfully and I loved reading your description of her swinging trot and jaunty stride. Such a happy girl!
default_wub.png

Reignmaker Miniatures said:
I have had Bucky in hard work (working for at least 1/2 hour usually closer to 1 hour) since the end of June. ... In all, arena time included we were out for just over an hour.
You've been doing everything right with this girl getting her back into shape (for which I commend you!) but I did have to laugh at this. 1/2 hour of walk and trot in an arena is considered "being in hard work?" Good lord!
default_laugh.png
"Hard work," feed-wise, is a wagon train horse who is pulling a heavy load cross-country all day long with barely a pause to eat. "Hard work" is a CDE horse who is being trained to go at their top trot for an hour with sprint work at intervals in the middle. Hard work is a pacer in race training. Your sweet girl, like my two driving horses, is just beginning to get fit and is in light work at best at the moment. Give her at least an hour's correct work four times a week for awhile longer and I bet you'll see that belly start tucking up as she truly becomes fit. Don't lose hope on that yet! She's barely getting started.

She was alert, ears forward and marching along like she had somewhere important to go.
default_thumbup.gif

Thank you so much for sharing. Many of us drive alone and this forum has always been a wonderful place to find like-minded people who understand!

Leia

I did have to laugh at this. 1/2 hour of walk and trot in an arena is considered "being in hard work?" Good lord!
default_laugh.png
"Hard work," feed-wise, is a wagon train horse who is pulling a heavy load cross-country all day long with barely a pause to eat. "Hard work" is a CDE horse who is being trained to go at their top trot for an hour with sprint work at intervals in the middle. Hard work is a pacer in race training. Your sweet girl, like my two driving horses, is just beginning to get fit and is in light work at best at the moment. Give her at least an hour's correct work four times a week for awhile longer and I bet you'll see that belly start tucking up as she truly becomes fit. Don't lose hope on that yet! She's barely getting started.

Leia

default_biggrin.png
While I agree with your description of 'hard work' in principle it is rather relative I think. If I walk/jog for an hour everyday alternating that with an hour in the gym on days I didn't go out I would by most people be considered fit. However my fitness level would not compare at all to an Olympic athlete or someone preparing for the Boston marathon. In this area where most people take there horses out for 10 or 15 minutes twice a week and consider a horse who is 'fit' for halter to be in good shape my girl is fit.
default_yes.gif
When she can trot nearly a mile(I haven't got an actual read on how far but from walking it and timing that I would guess about 2/3s of a mile) and not be winded she is doing pretty well. Still, as you say, her fitness level is no where near where it could be and perhaps with continued work, by the end of our far to short summer and fall she will see the belly actually gone. It is considerably smaller than it was but that little bit is just stubbornly there. (When people warn not to breed your show horse because it may ruin their figure they have a point) I am going to have to figure out a way to post pictures again so you can see what I'm talking about. I may have been more accurate had I said she is in moderate work. I base her work load on what she can do before I see her tiring and breaking a good sweat. I do not like to work her to where she is unable to return to normal breathing within a few minutes of returning to a walk but I like to see her have maintain increased respiration for some time, regularly thro a work out (no hard breathing at all would mean no breaking a sweat either and we could not improve) I will keep your comments in mind and plan our sessions with an increased demand for effort. An outside eye/opinion often helps to clarify focus and this has been helpful. Thank you.

default_biggrin.png
While I agree with your description of 'hard work' in principle it is rather relative I think. If I walk/jog for an hour everyday alternating that with an hour in the gym on days I didn't go out I would by most people be considered fit. However my fitness level would not compare at all to an Olympic athlete or someone preparing for the Boston marathon.
Very true.

In this area where most people take there horses out for 10 or 15 minutes twice a week and consider a horse who is 'fit' for halter to be in good shape my girl is fit.
I'd have to agree with that. 10-15 minutes??
default_wacko.png
Dude, it takes me an hour to get mine cleaned up and into the cart! There is no way I'm driving for less than an hour after that.
default_laugh.png
For a routine one-hour driving lesson I'll warm up for maybe five minutes at a free walk, spend most of the rest of the lesson doing increasingly active transitions and a lot of trotting with the horse constantly marching and forward, then cool out for maybe another 30 minutes outside the arena at a walk and easy trot cross-country. I don't push mine as hard as I should physically but usually they get a good mental workout and make lots of progress each time.

I may have been more accurate had I said she is in moderate work.
I think that would be a good term for it. I wish my boys were even moderately fit right now!
default_biggrin.png
You're being far more consistent than I am.

I base her work load on what she can do before I see her tiring and breaking a good sweat. I do not like to work her to where she is unable to return to normal breathing within a few minutes of returning to a walk but I like to see her have maintain increased respiration for some time, regularly thro a work out (no hard breathing at all would mean no breaking a sweat either and we could not improve)
As I said, you're doing everything right in reconditioning a horse who has been out of work for some time. I only commented because I got the impression you thought she was working as hard as you could ever safely ask her to and that darn belly was never going to come off.
default_wink.png
Now that she's attained that basic fitness level, don't be afraid to increase the difficulty! I always think I'm asking my horses to work hard until I go to a friend's house and see how hard she's working her driving horses.
default_wacko.png
They are trotting for at least 3/4 of the time they're out, usually sweating if they aren't clipped, and yet cool off quickly when unharnessed and have GREAT trim bellies. It makes me aware mine are capable of a lot more than I ask them for.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back