Weird color pattern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
This mare has what looks like laceing but its black...on a black horse...its hard to see from a distance but up close its obvious...Has anyone seen this before? What is it called? It is all over the top of her back and rump, not on her neck but going down her sides.

eclispe1.jpg

eclispe2.jpg

default_saludando.gif
Looks like dapples just different colour strange never seen colouring like that before

Its gorgeous..Iv seen it in a gypsy cob mare but i wouldnt know the technical term..but id say it was dapple too
default_wub.png

Thanks for the replies yall.
default_smile.png

I wish I could get pictures of her from a distance that show them better.

If they were dapples wouldnt they be on her sides as well?

This is more in line with lacing but I will say when I have seen it like this it can be a reaction to a vaccine or shot. If it is; it will disappear. True lacing goes down the back and never disappears. There is a lot of research but no real answers on lacing or "giraffe markings"

It reminds me a lot of the pattern on one of Erica's mares -- Knocker, I am pretty sure. To me what you are showing looks like more than "just" dapples, which come with silver dilute of course, but also on other colors when some horses are very healthy / "in bloom".

Thanks yall too for answering.

It acts more like lacing in location/ pattern to me. However with that said, we didnt see it on her winter coat, just as she started to shed out.

She was very thin when we got her and she has been gaining weight. no recent vaccines/ shots...

No silver, but possibly from diet change?

I will try to get pictures of her tomorrow.. It makes me wonder if her overall color is not black but perhaps a very dark bay.

It looks like "giraffe markings". I think if you google that you may find something, as I am sure I remember seeing that in the past on some horse color site.
default_yes.gif

Very neat!

Looks like normal dapples on a healthy horse to me.
default_yes.gif

This is one of my Icelandic mares, is kind'a hard to see... but I think they look like giraffe spots.

Stjarnasaddleb26Jule2011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back