Update on Mare w/Thumps page 7.(thumps video pg 3)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heart goes out to you! I sure hope you can find some answers and get some help.

Try some straight old fashioned molasses.It has a very strong taste/smell.I had a mare who wouldn't even drink or eat anything.I put some in a small bowl and she lapped it up.It got her going and started her eating again.She doesn't drink enough water so she gets molasses water with her senior feed dumped in it.Keep trying-you will find something that will work.

My vet treats hyperlipemia with TONS of fluid and it is VITAL that the horse be put on IV- neighbors a few years ago learned the hard way with one of theirs.. they waited til the mare was too sick. The tons of fluid help flush everything.

Just to be safe I am thinking I would certainly get this mare checked..... time is of the essence.

I would give her Karo and maybe an IV (<--vet)

Been praying for her to get through this! {{{Hugs}}}

I agree on the IV fluids ... my mare is still at the vet hospital ...doing well, eating, pooping, peeing, no fever now for days, etc... but until they got that IV in and ran fluids which also helped with delivering oxy quicker, she dehydrated quick and was not eating, her manure was dry balls and she was a mess! They knew what to watch for when I brought her in and were on it .... after they ran those fluids, she perked up and it really helped her fight and withstand all that oxytocin and crampy stuff she had to endure for so long!

She comes home tomorrow. It's been 9 days since she aborted and they have flushed her daily. I was hoping to bring her home sooner but to do that with any little something left in her uterus would have cultivated into a disaster.

I pray your mare makes that positive turn soon and you can enjoy them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, finally Mira and Bunny are on their way to the hospital. Blood tests from yesterday afternoon showed borderline hyperlipemia. Please send prayers that we get her there in time, despite way too many delays. We are both here (LONG story) watching Sox.

Oh no. Sending prayers for a full recovery.
default_pray.gif

Oh no! That's what I was afraid of and why I said Karo (not a fix but can help a little)

More prayers being said!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! I am so sorry to read about your mare! Prayers are coming your way! -Ivonne

Just talked to Tufts: Good news so far - Mira's triglyceride level is back to normal and she is eating!!! Her liver is good, but her electrolytes were totally out of whack. Still needs more fluids but we are in no hurry to bring her home until she is well on the mend!!

Bunny, as you might imagine, is a huge hit! No shortage of volunteers to help out with her.

(Copied from the Mare Stare Chat forum post... Too tired to be original)

Good news. Glad to hear she's is starting to feel better. And, no surprise Bunny was a hit; you'll just have to make sure she is actually in the trailer when its time to go home.
default_wink.png

Oh man, hope they can get her back to normal in a hurry and she'll be ok!!! Prayers and lots of good karma coming your way!

Oh gosh--I was hoping to come on and read that all is well. But she's in good hands now--and what a treat for the staff to have Bunny there!

Just got the report on Mira for today and it isn't good. They think she may have an impaction and/or ulcer so will be running more tests right away and keep me posted. They are also supplementing Bunny with milk pellets to take come of the strain off. And of course everyone I talk to just loves her!!

Please keep prayers coming for Mira.

Bunny also has a new baby sister, born at 5AM this morning - solid bay filly. Luckily that went well and we didn't need the vet. Details & pics on the Mare Stare/Chat forum.

Oh no... maybe from not eating well? I sure hope she pulls through- hopefully they still have her on fluids to keep her hydrated? This would help too for an impaction, etc...

Latest posts

Back