Update on Mare w/Thumps page 7.(thumps video pg 3)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't post earlier, but could read. I've been dying to get back on here.

Mary, SO, SO glad your vet came back and could help. Isn't it amazing how quickly she showed improvement? I'm continuing to pray for Mira and for Bunny too as I'm sure she's stressed also with everything going on.

Continued prayers for Mira's improvement!

Oh my, I just read this post. So sorry you had to go through all this, and all around the same time. I am so glad to hear your vet came back, and got her what she needed in time. Prayers she continues to improve, and NO MORE PROBLEMS!

Happy to read you had a success story! Been thinking about you and your little mare all evening and hoping for the good outcome you had. This forum is such a great place for us all to connect and hopefully help one another in times of need.

I lost my small gelding this week, and was wishing someone else could have a happier ending, especially for you and your little foal needing his mom. Best wishes and good luck on the next foaling you are waiting for.

Sorry I can't update very often but am trying to update in 2 places. Best to check our thread (On Target Miniatures) on the Mare Stare/chat forum here on LB. You can also watch her (gray mare) on the cam link in the first post on our thread there.

Mira's temp is down to 100.4 this morning but she still isn't eating, no matter what I tried to tempt her with. I gave her more Calcium by mouth along with Stomach Soother, which sounds like it was a good choice. I hear from a forum member who messaged me on FB that it will take them a few days to eat after this experiecne and it sounds like what I am doing is the best thing. I will try to hand graze her or let her out on grass/clover, so if you don't see her, that should be why. Bunny's bandage will be coming off now for the day and back on tonight.

No change in Sox... but we did get some sleep last night.

Thank you all for your concern and suggestions!!

Pinkie wouldn't eat, either. I hand fed her for a while till finally the green grass tempted her and she began to eat. It did take a few days.

Keep up the good work!

Just had Mira out hand grazing in the front lawn and she finally showed interest in the grass!! She was a bit picky but still ate quite well for the time we were out.Then Sox (due to foal any minute!) noticed what was going on and starting screaming, running and bucking, so Hubby brought her out too. And of course Bunny thought this was all quite the adventure!! All are back in stalls now but will try to get Mira out again today. Mira also had more Stomach Soother and Calcium this afternoon and Ulcergard. She was also nibbling on some alfalfa hay earlier today, drinking, and pooping.

So happy to hear all is well--at least headed in the right direction! Whew and YAY!!! When Tucker was sick a while ago--hand grazing was the only thing that kept him hydrated and eating. Works like a charm.

I hope you can finish foaling season with all normal deliveries and then have time to just sit and enjoy the babes.

Mary, so glad she ate a bit today. Sounds like you really caught this just in time. It paid off that you are so vigilant in your watch over your babies!

Today (Tues) Mira is screaming for food, pawing, very alert and active, but won't eat anything we offer her including treats, grain, several kinds of hay, and hand grazing. She sniffs everything, acts famished, and then doesn't try it. Temp is normal, or even a bit low at 98.4 but it is cold here. We are all getting very frustrated. I will call the vet soon but looking for any or all ideas. She did get about 10 cc of Stomach Soother and 15 cc of Calcium Gluconate this morning. One very small poop pile in stall, and some water consumption, which is hard to measure because Bunny loves to dump one of the buckets!

Has she had any electrolytes? That may help, my vet had me give some after the calcium, because thumps is an electrolyte imbalance as well as low calcium, don't know if that would change her wanting to eat, but could be worth a shot!

Try some sugar water in a syringe. That often stimulates a horse to eat. Hand grazing on grass is probably the best until she kicks back in to eating hay. Might need the sugar water several times a day. Karo works well too

Sorry things are still not right with the mare. I do not know about Stomach Soother, but if it for ulcer possibilities......ulcers is my first thought from the stress. Perhaps the foal could be fed foal-lac pellets to lessen the demand on the mares milk production. Also when things improve somewhat, probiotics help normalize the stomach and intestines.

Best wishes for a good day today.

Thank you for posting that video, it really helps us newbies and is a learning process for those who have jever dealt with thumps before. Prayers still going out to you all. I do hope she will eat something soon. I have heard the sugar water /kayro helping stimulate eating.

When I had my mare with thumps my vet had me give CMPK gel. She said giving calcium alone would not completely correct the problem because thumps is actually caused an imbalance between the levels of calcium AND magnesium. (I think it was magnesium, but it could have been potassium)

My mare developed thumps 1 month before foaling. The vet came out and gave the IV and mare was immediately better. But then I had to start giving 5cc of CMPK gel 2x a day. I did this up until the foal was weaned and never had another problem with that mare again. I also started giving more alfalfa to her as well.

The Stomach Soother has always worked for me before to stimulate appetite, and there is glucose in the Ca she was getting. I can try electrolytes in one water bucket for sure. She did start nibbling on some hay. The vet now thinks it may be a side effect of the antibiotic he gave her Sunday and lasts 4 days - that it has disrupted her sense of smell and taste. That is exactly how she acts - like she is trying so hard to find something that she would like. She even wanted the moldy hay sample I had out to show the 4-Hers!! And she wants to root around the junk on the manure pile but won't touch treats, grain, or good hay. Except this very fine, very soft hay we found. Of course she is the only one of our minis that doesn't like alfalfa cubes!

I am also going to look into the CMPK gel which is listed at Tractor Supply. Thanks all for the ideas and support.... please keep fingers crossed that she starts to eat. I am having my helper stop at TRS on the way here (she commutes to college) and get some of the things you suggested!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary has the vet drawn any labs and checked her electrolytes and liver function? It always worries me when they go off their feed this long that they'll get the hyperlipidemia problem. I'm praying your mare turns around soon!
default_pray.gif
:pray Thanks for sharing the video....a picture is worth a thousand words!

Mary has the vet drawn any labs and checked her electrolytes and liver function? It always worries me when they go off their feed this long that they'll get the hyperlipidemia problem.
This is what I was thinking too. I sure hope not but definitely worth checking into. Good Luck with your mare!

Last edited by a moderator:
But what can we do if it is hyperlipemia? Vet didn't do the blood work this morning and I am not sure why not. We have a mare about to foal and are caught between a rock and a hard place. Hospital is 2 hours away.

Back