Time to learn about FRAME OVERO and Lethal White...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jodi,

I would test that colt for LWO if his parents have not both been tested. Mom's blue eye makes me wonder if she carries LWO.

IF that is negative, then I'd say he is either sabino plus splash, or just plain sabino.

Either way he is a doll! Love that face!

How funny that you crossed those two colorful parents and got a minimally marked chestnut! But he has just the right amount of white! I like!

Thank you!
default_smile.png
Think we will have him tested, it's worth knowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frame face white - The shape of frame face white is "middle heavy". Frame face white wants to be wider in the area between the eyes and the nostrils than it is between the eyes and between the nostrils.

Frame, though described in most literature as a simple dominant is actually an incomplete dominant. It needs two copies to fully express - in this case that means a Lethal White foal. One copy of the Frame gene needs the assistance of another pattern to turn it on because it simply isn't strong enough to penetrate on its own. It is nearly impossible to find a "framed" expression level Frame pattern horse that is just Frame - sabino is the gene that normally assists Frame to express though splash can help also.

Frame wants all 4 legs to be solid. If there is a white leg, that indicates another pattern is present. (Again, it is nearly impossible to find a horse that is frame alone with complete "framed" expression).

Frame will not put white on the belly - that is a characteristic of both sabino and Splash.

Genetically speaking "tovero" is a nonsense word. All it means is a horse that is tobiano + one or more of the three patterns that fall under the blanket term "overo". (Overo has no meaning genetically either).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input, Lewella! I'm breeding my sabino mares to my minimally marked frame stallion in the hopes that the sabino will help to 'pull' the frame pattern out in the foals.
default_smile.png

Well here is my minimally marked LWO carrier. He is also EE.

Oak Parks Hawks Resurrection is affectionately known as Scotty. He's my wittle wub.

scotty2.jpg

I'll be crossing him on mares with other patterns in hopes of some nicely marked foals.

Hey Dona, I'm really not sure, but did upload some pictures of his parents. I would appreciate anyone's ideas on what color he is too.

Here's Mom: She has one blue eye.

100_0211.jpg

Headshot to show her blue eye, but it's a little dark, sorry.

100_0210.jpg

And here is Daddy. He is not blue eyed.

sonnyg6-1.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Jodi
Well, the sire appears to be a Palomino Tobiano (from what I can see). With the dam being grayed out....it's hard to tell. You can't really see her markings. But, as Lauralee said, with her blue eye, I would have either her, or her colt tested for LWO.
default_yes.gif
:

Here is my LWO Stallion Cohn's Exotic Echo, he has one brown eye and one blue eye.

echoforsite.jpg

Here is our lab tested minimal frame. Jones Call Me Phoenix

Both eyes are brown and the only white he has is the blaze.

phoenix.jpg

Here is a lab tested frame filly. Valley View Hawks Hypnotic.

she probably has somethign else going on.

Both her eyes are blue, with one being dark blue.

hypnotic3.jpg

and another lab tested frame. Valley View Hollywood Hawk, both blue eyes

hollywoodsept.jpg

I must say these topics are very interesting.

Lewella, you are very knowledgable, I am learning alot from your posts.

Latest posts

Back