Frame Overo and Splashed Owners Please share your photos :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am sooo confused! What happened to Tobiano and Overo?

I was recently told that my mare, whom I thought was a Tobiano is most likely a splash something because she has a blue eye?

Her name is La Vista Project Runway, her sire is OMP Dazzling Dark Destiny, registered as a solid black and her Dam is Bantams Supreme Dream, registered as a Bay Pinto.

So... what do you think she is?

1020_140_0771.jpg

Aspen fuzzy.JPG

And now my gelding... Would he be considered a splash as well?

biggie2.jpg

biggie1.jpg

biggie3.jpg

Biggie.JPG

I am not a colour or pattern expert but since my foal was born i have been doing a lot of research lol I think your mare La Vista Project Runway is Tobiano but has something else as well to cause the blue eye. Her markings match the description of Tobiano quite well.

'They are identified by their white legs and solid colored head'

'The Tobiano (pronounced: tow be yah' no) coat pattern usually involves some white on all four legs and rounded white spots on the body with sharp, clean edges. The head of the horse is usually colored'

(I could be wrong though as im still learning about pinto patterns lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
KLM- I think the general consensus is that blue eyes are from splash. There is now a test for 3 forms of splash and on another thread it was very clear that not all blue eyed minis test positive for those splash genes so there must be another gene that isn't tested for. Or else there is something else other than splash that causes blue eyes. We have a mare posted somewhere on this thread that is negative for splash but has 2 lovely blue eyes.

I think it is also very common for pintos to carry more than one pattern - tobiano, splash, frame and/or sabino. Overo tends to be confusing and tovero even more so!! I think your lovely mare and gelding each carry both tobiano and splash. The gelding might carry frame (lethal white gene) but as a gelding it isn't critical to know.

Thanks guys. I will test my mare, because I am going to breed her, and I think just for the fun of it I will test my gelding. Either way, they are nice to look at with those eyes!

Targets Mom, Is your mare with the blue eyes Alamos Sirs Toffee Snow the one that tested negative? Your mare is my gelding Aunt. CC Call Me Sir is his grand-sire. My gelding is Samis Big Wheels by Alamo Buckeroos High Hat. That must be where those GORGEOUS eyes come from.

Love your mare by the way!

Yes, our mare with the blue eyes that tested negative for splash is a CC Call Me Sirs daughter "Toffee" so she and your gelding likely got their blue eyes in the same place. Also on this thread is her 2012 colt Clyde, also with blue eyes that people said must carry splash because of his facial white which "falls off the end of his nose". Thanks for the compliment. I love both your mare and your gelding!

KLM, I would definitely say your mare is tobiano and splash, same with your gelding who looks to be sabino as well. I would not bother with the splash or sabino tests. Testing for frame is always a great idea though if you are breeding
default_smile.png

That gelding is very nice!! I am so glad we are getting more and more really good geldings,now, it is very heartening. I would agree that he is Splash and Sabino, at least, and since he is a gelding there is no need to test him. The mare is Tobiano base, with added Splash (a splash of Splash, in fact
default_yes.gif
)

As to what happened to Tobiano and Overo....well, we just got more educated about patterns, I guess! Overo is a waste of time really it only means "all patterns except Tobiano" and was used before we had tests to describe horses that looked alike in pattern, so it has been outgrown.

Thank you again. I love both of them. I have 4 other mares that I think I need to test now as well. I am loving this forum, great people and very educational!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Christmas Parade 010.jpg

Any recommendations for places to test? How do I test? Does it matter if I use mane or tail hair?

I use animalgenetics.us I believe most their tests run around $25.00 a piece.. I use mane hair, it tells you how they want you to collect the hair and how much you need for the test.

543279_3101076085912_176529614_n.jpg

Wanted to share the only picture I have of my guy. I will get more eventually :p

I think Rowdy is the only horse in that pedigree that might be contributing frame, so any of his progeny could too. Of course I am not 100% certain, especially without photos. But Gold Melody Boy, Buckeroo, Little King Supreme, and Komokos Little Hussler have never been associated with frame to my knowledge. I would still test to be sure, especially with Rowdy in there.

I think Rowdy is the only horse in that pedigree that might be contributing frame, so any of his progeny could too. Of course I am not 100% certain, especially without photos. But Gold Melody Boy, Buckeroo, Little King Supreme, and Komokos Little Hussler have never been associated with frame to my knowledge. I would still test to be sure, especially with Rowdy in there.
I don't own the stallion, but my new girl Erica (Erica's Can't Touch This) is in foal to him... She is Rowdy bred and frame, since she produced a loud bay frame colt by Erica's Taker (who is neg.).. So I'm a little worried now that I realize both are Rowdy bred..

I think it was another thread where someone was worried about lethal white in a mare already bred. Even if they are both LWO+, you still have "only" a 1 in 4 chance of getting a lethal white foal. Is there any way you can have the stallion tested to remove any worry at all?

I would like to know if there is any other know names that are LWO positive other then Rowdy.

My stud has rowdy and he is Neg for LWO gene.I recently bred him to my mare who always has rowdy.I wonder if she is positive for LWO but in my case it would be okay since my stud is neg.I have heard of folks breeding LWO TO LWO because it is 1 to 4 chance,but me I wonder want that change
default_sad.png
.I hope your mare will have a nice foal.Test your mare then if she is neg all is good.

Lucky c your mare sire is my mare's grandsire.My mare's dam is half sister to your mare same sire.
default_smile.png

Back