Suggestions for the care of a newborn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
My first foal is due next month
default_aktion033.gif
and I was doing a google search on supplies and care, and there is so many variations, I have read about newborn vaccines, enemas, and worming. So I thought I would ask here, What is the standard newborn care techniques that go on in your barns?? Thanks!!!

wow, so exciting.
aktion033.gif
I am by far an expert but here is what I do. i vaccinate my mares a month before birth this way the foal is covered for the first 3 months so I don't have to worry and by then they are much stronger. I always keep enemas in and usual give the first after an hour, if all is well that is enough but sometimes I have to continue until everything starts working correctly. One of last years colts didn't poop alone for a week
new_shocked.gif

I worm after 4 weeks.

hope this helps, there are loads of experienced people on here that will help you more. Good luck.
rolleyes.gif

I set a small table outside of my foaling stall, and this what I put on it, my copy of Blessed Are The Broodmares, a printout from Scott Creek miniatures on foaling presentation. (Both have been read and reread) A small pair of fingernail scissors, just in case it's a red bag. A pair of forceps, just in case the cord doesn't break on its own. Two sterlized slip nose dog leashes, just in case a leg is mal positioned I can slip them on the leg presented. A small painters bucket so I can fill it with warm water to scrub up if needed. Bentidine solution for the umbilical stump. I keep a baby enema on hand, but only use it if needed. I also keep a 60cc syringe, ( cut off the end and insert the plunger into the cut off end) just in case I need to milk the mare, and a smaller syring in case I need to feed the foal collected milk.In my fridge, I keep banimine that I got from the Vet to give after delivery as third stage labor is hard on the mare, and I don't want her to hurt the foal. I stock up on lubracant, such as mineral oil, just in case I need it. When I notice the mare in first stage labor I wash her udder and female parts, wrap her tail and leave her alone. I watch her from a monitor. When she gets really restless or starts going down alot I go to the barn and try to watch where she doesn't mind me being. If all goes well, I break the amniotic sack if it doesn't break on its own, and leave the mare to bond with her foal. After she arrises I give her the banimine have Hubby hold the foal so I can treat the navil stump, you can use batidine or alcohol, my Vet likes alcohol because she says it dries the stump quicker. Then I look and see what sex we have, check the mouth for cleft. If the eyes appear to be red from delivery I will apply some teramyacin eye ointment. Then we leave the stall and watch from the outside. If the foal can't find the udder I will go in and assist by milking the mare alittle and applying the milk to the teat, I'll have Hubby hold the foal under the mare with mouth toward the teat and with the milk on my finger try to get the foal to nurse from the teat. If that doesn't work, I will milk the mare and feed the foal with the syringe. They need to get the colostrum in them within the first two hours or they start to get week. I now this is long, sorry, Congratulations on your new baby. Post pictures.

I forgot to add, I worm the mare the day of delivery just in the case of threadworms. I don't worm the little one until they are three weeks old and then panacure, just a drop, just to prevent round worms. Never had a problem with them. I am jealous as we don't have any babies due this year.

We give the mares a combo vaccine about 30 days pre-foaling. Dry the foal and help it start nursing after it is born. Check the birthsack to be sure all has come out and we dose the mare with banamine orally after the placenta has passed. We deworm the mare with IVERMECTIN the day of foaling (pretty much at the time we dose the banamine). I think that's very, very important for the foal that the mare be dewormed w/ ivermectin soon after foaling. We do give a (warmed) baby enema to be sure everything has passed. We keep the baby's stall with either straw or soft hay as bedding for the first week or so (vs. shavings or sawdust). Use betadine on the umbilical stump 2-3x a day for the first few days.

Edit to add, we do have the vet come out between 12-24 hours post foaling to do an IcG snap test and a basic "well foal" exam and an exam of the mare.

Check this thread out for some recommended foaling kit supplies: http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=105836&st

Last edited by a moderator:
I encourage vacc'ing the mare 3-5 weeks prior to foaling. Most foals are born between 10p-2a, I like to be called 8a that morning for an appointment between 10a-2p (about 12 hours post foaling). I do not vacc the foal, I do give the first sodium phosphate enema then and I have the owner give 2 more warm water enemas (put warm water in the tube I just used) that evening and tomorrow morning. I like to have the foal outside within 24-48hours depending on weather. I don't really mind cold, I try to avoid wet.

I do not encourage iodine on the navel or feet.

I do try to keep owners, neighbors, and little kids away for the first 24 hours. Let Mom and baby get acquainted, there will be time for pictures later.

I like owners to have Banamine, Rompun, Dexamethasone, Bute, Oxytocin, and Pen G on hand, but it depends on the skill level of the owner and call before using any of them.

Dr Taylor

Wow lucky you! You must be very excited. Keep your foaling kit close. I also like to keep traffic of people in the barn down so mom and foal can bond and rest!

Where is Robin she has great advice always. She must out with Pooka
default_yes.gif

LOL Lisa
default_laugh.png

I've been having big troubles trying to get on & stay on line.

Oh that stinks. Everytime I see the weather I think of you and hope you are OK no pun intended

We have the 'normal' foaling kit stuff and the 'oh crap we need to go in' one both ready. regarding lubricants, we use to use the different jellies (KY), but our vets at UCD use sterile petroleum jelly, so we buy 6-10 of those at the dollar store and use one per foaling (if needed) and toss after.

Mares - vaccinated and trimmed 3-4 weeks from due date. Ivermectin after foaling along with a bit of banamine if she's acting at all crampy. Give her hay.

Foal - treat cord stump with Nolvason solution. Dry foal. Check sex and bite. Give Foal Response. Milk dam if she's a maiden and feed foal. Blanket.

I don't routinely give an enema if I see them passing meconium on their own after they've nursed. If not we'll give a warm water one (using a child's enema not adult size). I stay with the mare/foal until he/she is successfully nursing and has passed meconium.

Check that the placenta is intact and the cord for any abnormalities. Bag it to be buried.

Sleep. : )

Latest posts

Back