Selling woes...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickette

Reaction score
OK, well, first things first...a few years back I decided I was dead set on learning dressage. I wanted to show, but my horse will never be a dressage horse. Well, I take that back...my horse and I will never be a dressage team. ...He's short. We look awkward together. And then there's the whole idea of an Arab doing dressage. It just wouldn't work at any shows around here.

Then my mom bought a Thoroughbred mare. I was terrified of her. I'm so used to Nike, so used to having a complete pushover beneath me, I'd forgotten what it was like to be on a horse that had much better ideas than you did, and would gladly show you how much she'd rather do things her way. It wasn't that she was just stubborn or anything, she was strong. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not what I was used to. She's also a rescue. (not a racehorse, an abuse case). So we had some trust/respect issues. But we grew to respect one another. However, she'll never be a show horse, either. There's just too much damage already done. But you can tell she could have been great. So, we decided we'd breed her. I'd start learning on Nike, then by the time the new baby was done with her training, we'd be ready to go on together and learn and show.

That was the plan...

it didn't work.

College took over, I didn't have as much time as I thought I would have. Things at home got stressful with family issues popping up, and it just wasn't working.

So, I put her up for sale. It broke my heart, but I had to. I wouldn't be able to give her the time she deserves.

Right away we got a bunch of inquiries, only one serious one. The lady was perfect. She had experiance, trainers, a nice barn, and seemed to be an overall kind person. Her mare was a rescue, (who looks a lot like my mom's TB). Anyway, she was going to come with a trailer. Then a few days before she was coming, she called to say something had come up, she needed to help a friend. We said fine, and kept talking to her via email. She was coming up with shownames, the works. Then she was going to come again, and she called the morning that she was supposed to come and said that her trainer told her to hold off, that her mare needed some more work, etc. It aggravated me, because that's not something that just comes up. That's something she should have known about. But I don't know. Something might have. Who knows...

So, the sale continued. I put her on every available site, put up signs locally, etc.

No one.

Finally, we got a couple of emails, people who seemed very interested....and they were...until they realized she's not APHA. It says on her sites that she's not registered, but...I guess it didn't click.

Then someone south of us wanted her, we had shipping arranged and everything, and all of a sudden he dropped off the planet.

Nothing again. Not for a while.

Then a man in Fort Worth wanted her. He called, seemed interested, wanted to put down a deposit. But something about him was wrong. I don't know what it was, but something bothered me about this man. He may have been a perfectly wonderful person, but I just didn't want to sell to him. I broke down crying about it.

But...what do I do now? Just sit and wait? It's been a while already. I don't have a problem with her staying for my own selfish reasons, but there's only so much I can do for her...

She's fantastic, the best filly I could ever hope to meet, but...no one seems to see that but me...

DSC01989.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010070.jpg

DSC01984.jpg

DSC01986.jpg

A few older ones:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/MiK...y/P10102541.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/MiK...P10102621-1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/MiK...sk/DSC01101.jpg

and some photos of her sire:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/MiK..._op_340x600.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/MiK...ew_203-6-07.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/MiK...ew_12-30-05.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/MiK.../brewshead1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Price her way up with also B.O. & you need Patients :lo

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain. I never in my life had so much BS in trying to sell a horse as these miniatures.

I have had more checks bounce on me that you cannot imagine.

I most definately have tried to work with people on payments and prices but I'm at the point now where I am fed up. I can't believe that I have been so jerked around. I have ads up and then taken down and then back up and down again. sheesh!

If it was just a matter of money, it would be easy. But in my case, it's a matter of good HOME first. That is not so easy to come by.

Ok this is what I have decided to do in the future:

All deposit checks are going to be non-refundable.

I don't HAVE to sell any horses in the first place and I'm in no hurry.

I'm going to bide my time and when I least expect it, the right buyers will come along.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time selling your mare. But honestly, I'm not surprised. With fuel and feed prices going up, a lot of horses aren't selling. When it comes to selling a horse its all about presentation and determining the type of buyer who would want that type of horse and gearing the ads towards them.

Since it's not really clear in your post, I'm going to assume that the horse pictured is the filly from your mother's TB mare. Who are you trying to attract? The backyard trail owners, dressage, western pleasure, hunter/jumper, etc? What are her specs (age, height, breeding, registration, training, etc.)? And what is her price? You may think she's the most beautiful horse in the world but others may not. So, you have to take off you barn glasses and really evaulate your mare to determine the most attractive ad and price for her.

Selling horses is all about how you present them to the public.
default_wink.png
: And believe me, every single one of us is a little barn blind when it comes to our own herd.

Thanks for the advice, y'all. Honestly, looking at her I think she'd do great in HUS, but I'm not sure. And yes, the grey mare is the TB. She's 14 months, 14.3 hh, PtHA eligable, not registered, $1350, negotiable. She'll do nearly everything I've ever asked her to. I mean, the horse industry is suffering around me. And there are a few great stables around here that do mostly 3day, but other than that, it's quarter horses and every gaited breed you could imagine.

Ditto what Marty said!
default_wink.png
:

To weed out tire-kickers and "feet draggers", immediately ask for a 30% non-refundable deposit.

We all know the mini market is down -- the big horse market is even worse.

Without exception, folks want the price significantly reduced, when it gets down to brass tacks.

My favorite excuse for price reduction -- my kid is paying for the horse

STICK WITH YOUR GUT FEELING, better to wait, then a perfect home will pop up outta the blue.

BTW, your horse is downright gorgeous!
default_wub.png
:

If what you say is true with regard to training level, your horse will sell itself.

I don't have too much to add other than agree with what everyone else is saying.

But really wanted to say your mare is very pretty and is the pattern that I love. I'm not big on a lot of white.

I hope you find the right buyer for her soon.

Kim

The horse market is down, and your going to have a few disadvantages with your filly. Please dont take this offensively, because she is gorgeous.

She isn't registered. Since she is eligible I would register her now. The longer you wait the more expencive it usually gets, plus it will help her sell easier.

She is still a baby, so she dosent have any formal/under saddle training. I would work on getting her ready to be saddled. There are a LOT of things you can do without riding her to prepare her for a career later.

You are marketing her as a HUS horse, but she dosen't really have the height that most people look for in a HUS prospect. Even though she is still young she probably wont ever grow to the heights they want.

From the looks of her sire I would assume he is a halter horse? That's also going to turn the hus people off because she isnt specifically bred to be a hus mount.

I would have a recognized trainer take a look at her and see what they think she is most suited for.

I barrel race and I know that a lot of us will pay as much for a registered horse as a grade horse (we dont show in breed shows usually)

If you could send her to a trainer for a month to do some ground work (maybe ground driving in halter etc)

you may have a much easier time selling her. I know that there are always people calling my trainer or stopping by to see whats for sale in the barn. People come to her wanting to know i she knows of horses for sale.

Trust me, I know how you feel. About 2 years ago I had to sell my 5yr old AQHA mare. she was registered, had real nice bloodlines for her discipline, was broke at 2, and was lightly started on barrels/poles at 4. She wasnt rushed into anything and didnt have any injuries, but starting the pattern later than some horses actually hurt her value to some people. They wanted a horse that had the pattern down, I just wanted a horse that would be sound later in life. It took a while, but I finally sold her to the right home. after eadvertising etc. I probably got around $1200 for her, but atleast it was to a good home.

She's definately gourgeous, but I'm going to have to agree with mydaddysjag - she has things that are not going for her...selling a young horse is so hard because a) They're usually a dime a dozen (up here you can get a nice reg'd QH or paint two year old for $500 no prob) b) because people know they'll have to put even more time and money into getting them trained. Not being registered will definately be a disadvantage to her, as usually the HUS that she'd be into is the QH-style. Open Hunter might not like her because first off it's all about jumping, and second (at least here) most circuits do not like color.

I'd say just be patient, maybe get some pre-riding training into her, and if you can register her now. Having a "registerable" horse rather then "registered" can really change things. Good luk!

Well, I know some Fjords and some Arabs...that are kicking butt in Dressage. One of the Arabs I knew,,small..14.1 hands..was cleaning up when hubby was Stationed at Miramar.

Just because they aer not in fashion...doesn't mean they can't do well.

Even the Blc Ice mare I have for sale...gaited or no...she has the talent to do high level dressage...also know one Icelandic that does very well, his name is Johan.

I am also trying to sell a riding horse...excellent blood lines, conformation to die for and a good mind. She is just young & green. Any other breed of horse I can sell in 2 months..but not Icelandic's for some reason.

So understand what you are going through. There are a lot of horses for sale out there. I figure when the right buyer comes along......though it might be awhile.

Have you placed ads at places like Horsetopia..one of the better priced ones..and Dream horse?

Prices are way down.....part of this is the slaughter issue...no slaughter, no base prices. Sorry thats the way it works in livestock commodities.

I also don't understand your arab issue as i know someone who now has her supreme legion of merit on an arab in dressage. Yes it took some time and she now has a sport horse sire who is desirable......but it can most definately be done.

your mare is cute and I hate to say this but unless she is being campaigned where I live if she were under saddle and doing well you might get 1000...for a quick sale 500.

Basically if you aren't using them and out there in the discipline you are selling in you will not get top dollar, just my 20 year experience
default_wink.png
:

Wow, I missed a lot! OK, let me catch up. Thanks SO much everyone, for your advice! I really appreciate it!

I'll try to get her registered as soon as I can, I figured that would help, but my mother disagreed for some reason (don't remember what it was, though).

She is ready to go undersaddle, as...she's already had one on before. (It's not like I worked her hard in it or anything, I just put my lightweight AP on her to see how she'd do, and she didn't complain).

(and that's as far as I've really gotten a chance to read, I have to go feed before they tear down my fences, lol.)

Part of the key to selling horses is to figure out what the horse would be BEST at and play up it's potential (if it's a young horse... all it has is POTENTIAL... trained horses you market as trained). Trained horses you can provide pictures/video of the horse actually doing what the buyer will do with the horse.

I agree fully with comments made above... Arabs can most certainly perform in dressage but the individual horse must have qualities that lend itself to dressage. With your horse's breeding and conformation, I don't really see it suited to dressage because her sire is a "halter type QH" which are not noted for qualities that a dressage horse should possess: extension, elasticity, and a nice upright neck to carry the head properly. Dressage people are very picky about the conformation and movement the horses have... the horse must be very athletic firstly and secondly must have the proper temperament for it (while dressage horses cannot be super flighty, they must have some "drive" to perform and not be lazy and mellow like QH tend to be).

Who knows though, every horse is an individual, regardless of breed.

I also agree that if your horse isn't going to fit the mold of a HUS, it will be more difficult to sell her as such.

As a buyer, I know when I am looking for a "Nationals quality pleasure driving mini" and see a horse that might be country pleasure at best, I don't inquire or look any further if that initial impression wasn't good enough. Those first impressions when you advertise are crucial.

Your horse isn't priced very high, but here in California we have higher prices for horses. Either train her and ask for more or sell her for less if you have to move her fast.

Selling horses is an art form I think, and I have found that above all it takes LOTS of time and patience if you want to find the right buyer.

Good luck,

Andrea

I had excellent luck on AgDirect and Dreamhorse for sale sites for big horses... my lovely PMU filly did not mature above 13.3 hands and I made the difficult, sad decision to sell her.

Had a lot of inquiries but the right folks came along - they wanted her for an event prospect, which she would do well at. She proved herself worthy when the folks came to look at her - in a snowstorm with high winds. The mare was quiet for their rider and behaved like a lady through grooming, different riders trying her out and they accepted an offer close to my asking price. They were very happy with her when they got her home - I hope that she continues to please them as she did for me.

I have had horrible luck selling minis in my area - most of my sales have been out of state.

Your mare is cute - I like her coloring but agree with some of the other posters that she may not have the type and build for a HUS prospect. Putting more training under her belt will help and expanding her training to see what discipline SHE likes...having a horse that likes his or her job helps sell them to the right buyer.
default_yes.gif
: Plus, registering her will make her more appealing to buyers - after many years in horses, unless they have papers, I am not buying but that is only my current preference - I have owned some wonderful grade horses over the years.
default_yes.gif
:

Be patient and keep working with her and the right buyer will come along - after coming out of a nasty winter, I was surprised I moved two horses in January and February - traditionally the worst months to sell horses in upstate NY in a soft market.

Trick training her wouldn't hurt - a horse that is eager and responsive to his/her handler endears him/her to future buyers... they become companion animals as well as recreational vehicles (I hate to think of horses in that manner but some folks do).

Good luck,

Denise

Silversong Farm

Also going to agree w/ everyone. A few more thoughts, ... put more weight on her, she looks a little weedy, might just be her stage, but a well fed baby looks more appealing. Pull/neaten her mane, and take pic's w/ out you in them, and get ones of her moving. As I refuse to saddle anything before they hit three, backing her now would not impress Me, but I do realize many find that sort of thing to be okay and prefer a started horse, even if it's only long lining w/ tack on. JMO. Good luck! LoL I do like her color though, she reminds me a little of my now yearling filly, Jazzy.
default_smile.png
SassyandJazzy077.jpg

I tell you, if I had the $$ and a place to stash her, I'd be soooo interested
default_smile.png

It is a buyers market right now, I've never had such a time moving a big horse. You've had good suggestions - I would absolutely go ahead and get her registered and get some really great photos, maybe a short video. I sure feel your pain - I have two APHA mares for sale, one is a World Top Ten HUS with a filly at her side by an AQHA World Champ, and I'm getting inquiries on dreamhorse but so far no real buyers. I am about to lease her out for a season, just to get her moved out of here for awhile. Be patient and be persistent, someone will come along that's right for her.

Jan

Latest posts

Back