Hoof abscess or laminitis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes then, most of the time if your horse suddenly looks like it broke a leg it's an abscess. They are incredibly lame and it's super scary the first time you see it. Usually they burst out somewhere and the horse is just as suddenly almost totally better. Possible the rock caused the abscess, or possible the rock just got lodged in the hole from when it burst. Your farrier can probably tell you. Also, you might want to call the farrier instead of the vet for this one. Not all of them handle stuff like that but a lot of them do.

Difference between this morning and afternoon are night and day. Aggie's walking almost normally again, and when I let her and Winston out in the arena she didn't want to get caught. Thank you everyone for the advice and knowledge shared. I'll keep an eye on her but I think we're in the clear.

Attachments

• 20240310_170218.jpg
    20240310_170218.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240310_165940.jpg
    20240310_165940.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm so glad to hear that she's feeling better. I'm in agreement. Laminitis is extremely rare in rear legs, but common in front as @chandab said. The stone you found it not likely to have caused any discomfort in that location because it's in the hard wall, not the soft sole or frog. Abscesses will often come out of nowhere and progress rapidly where the poor dears don't even want to toe-over to walk. But if you examine Aggie around the coronet band, you'll likely find a small opening where the infection has drained out. They follow the path of least resistance - thus breaking in the soft skin, not the wall or sole. You'll notice a small hole grow down as the hoof continues to grow. A good soak in warm water and epsom salts is a great idea, and a poultice can be made with sugar and betadine or iodine. That's what my vets always recommend. Sounds like you've got things well under control.

Latest posts

Back