PlayTime Minis - 2014 Foaling Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Anna, that sounds horrid. The weather is certainly 'changeable' here and warmer, so I hope something figures out for you and those horrid storms pass quickly.

Anna, I'm so sorry. Seriously, I think wet, damp cold weather is worse and much harder on the horses than just straight cold and snow. It's 22 below this morning and the winds are whipping. Everyone is in the barn and won't be going out today and tonight is supposed to be around 25 below. The sun is out today and that's a huge plus but the winds are very high so that's a drawback for sure.

I'm starting to think there is no perfect weather anywhere this year.

Madeline is doing well and hopefully no baby soon. I won't be doing photos until we go above zero as it's just too cold.

Hang in there Anna and I'll try to send our snow to you.

Oh you poor ladies.....Sara and Anna ...both very different weather but both sound awful.

We did finally get snow from the storm that passed last night

about 6-7 inches and very cold for us about 20 degree high - 20-40mph wind today and 4 degrees low tonight

but we only have 1 more day of below zero temps they say 40 for Sunday

Man....I so am in a hurry for spring

OMG Anna and Sara your weather patterns sound just awful!! I don't like it when the weather is wet, windy and cold, just plain miserable! But bitter cold is not much better either and -22 is beyond bitter!! I always seem to have a difficult time on the cold rainy days, let them out or keep them in????
default_unsure.png
Like yesterday we went to Charlottesville (about 30 mins away) to go shopping, the bad weather wasn't suppose to move in until the evening. Well luck have it the cold rain began and by the time we got home it had changed to snow. They both were wet but seemed to be just fine, I brought them right in as it was feeding time. They were happy and gobbled their grain right up and then on to their hay!! So I am a worry wart!!
default_thud.gif
Today was very cold here in Va only about 22 for the high with lower wind chill temps. But after hearing your weather stories I can handle it.

Anna and Sara I do hope your weather turns for the better!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
Let's all pray
default_pray.gif
for an early spring!!!!!!

Thanks Misty's Mom. We are hanging in there. 25 below this morning but the good news is it's the last below zero day for a while and supposed to get up to 19 today so that will feel like a heat wave. I worry about cold, wet weather too. Don't worry about snow but that rainy, wet sleet worries me. I have run in sheds but the horses will just stand out in it so if I know we're having a wet day in the cold weather, I leave everyone in. I'm sure they'd be fine but I'm like you Misty's Mom - I worry.

WOW! 25 below in Missouri? Yikes! It's 58 degrees inside my house this morning. I hate heat, so I relish these 'cold' days in Florida -- haven't turned the heat on yet this year. But at 25 below, I know I'd give in. Now, it's comfortable in long sleeves, jeans and my fluffy slippers! LOL

I'm still in Vermont Diane although leaving soon. I got delayed by an illness which kind of left me weak and drained. I went out this morning and it isn't so bad. Wind isn't blowing and sun is shining so not so bad today as yesterday when wind was whipping. I've been dreaming of heading to Florida though.

Well, please have a VERY safe trip from Vermont! I kind of envy you seeing the wonderful beauty of winter having spent most of my life in the crisp snow of the Adirondack Mountains....something I miss here.

Diane, it is beautiful for sure and if I didn't have the horses, I wouldn't mind it but it's really hard to get out and do things with them during the winter and we all just try to get through it and winter here means snow on the ground through April although it does get warmer. Just rather be somewhere I can get outside and work with the horses and not be coping with such extreme cold with my old bones.

Well, I finally got pictures of Madeline and here they are.

2014january5thwarmermorning 008.JPG

2014january5thwarmermorning 010.JPG

2014january5thwarmermorning 011.JPG

2014january5thwarmermorning 012.JPG

She's not as lopsided as she looks in the last photo. We were in the snow and she was shifting her weight. Any thoughts?

She's looking great Sara! Nicely shaped tummy and a developing udder - a late Jan/early February foal???

Oh and I know what you mean by 'old bones' LOL!! The only time I feel really warm at the moment is when I'm in bed - lovely fluffy duvet plus a heavy blanket covering it, not to mention the two dogs, one either side of me holding the covers down to 'cocoon' me - great unless I need to hop out for a night time loo visit, they of course refuse to move and I have to try to wriggle out of what really amounts to a very tight sleeping bag!! I wont even mention the various cats that I squash/disturb on my crawl across the bed to reach the floor, plus of course there is always the fun/challenge of actually managing to get back into bed again after a loo visit!! In spite of the bed being a super king size, it seems that I am only allowed to occupy a space of approx 2' in width - good job that I am easy going and have a sense of humour, but quite frankly, I will put up with anything as long as I am WARM!!

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell Sara - hope you are feeling better now.
default_yes.gif

Anna, sounds as though we sleep the same way
default_yes.gif
I'm on feather beds under my duvet and surrounded by warm whippet bodies. They get so toasty warm when they are under the covers and wow, do I ever sleep well at night even though like you I'm always half off the bed being pushed by whippet feet.

I'm so glad you think Madeline is looking good as she's so tiny and a maiden. She's such a sweet mare too.

Well, I have another baby coming late spring early summer as I just purchased Arrow Woods Fannie from Toni Reece. She's bred to HSF Orion Star, a grandson of Orion Light Vant Huttenest and she's sired by NFCS Egyptian Kings Sultan and a Toy Horse dam so I'm excited to be adding these lines to my farm and I love the mare. Here's her photo.

_horse1_3078.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a pretty girl!!! Should be a beautiful foal, and another one we'll all look forward to!!

Oh Sara, she's beautiful - what a great addition to your herd! Can I ask if you mean Toy Horse rather than Toy House? Just interested.

Anna, yes Toy Horse. Typing so fast I goofed and thanks Diane and Anna.

Another question! Is that the British registered Toyhorse prefix or the USA stud that also calls itself Toy Horse? I'm sure it will be the US stud as you typed it as two separate words!! Was just getting interested as I might have known some of her ancestors.

Hope you are all keeping warm with this terrible cold weather - we have been watching and hearing all about it over here. Absolutely dreadful!

Anna, it's the British ToyHorse. I'm just made it two words due to spell check. Here's her pedigree for her dam - Toyhorse Princess Sukeena; dam's sire is Toyhorse Cwmhen Emperor and dam's dam is Toyhorse Ruskin Sue.

Oh brilliant - we are related!! Well I mean our minis are. LOL!! I have a Cwmhen Emperor mare - she's 21 or 22 this year (sorry but I get muddled over the oldies ages when the year changes!). She has been one of my best brood mares, giving us all daughters and only one son. She is in foal for this year for her last foal - we had the oportunity to use an outside stallion with her and just couldnt resist it, seriously hoping for a colt this time. Her dam is Park View Lady Kate so no relation on that side of her pedigree to your mare's dam. My mares name is Toyhorse Princess Chapella and I know there are several pics of her on my old foaling thread on here - which I shall have to get up and running again soon for the May foalings - I will go and look for a pic and let you know which page it is on to save you searching - easier for me too instead of searchng through my computer pics or photobucket!

OK Pics of Chapella and her last foal (2010) plus one of her daughters are on page 53 of my thread which is on page 2 of the threads here if you want to have a look. Her daughter Karis is actually marked/coloured in a similar way to your new little girl - well I think so!

Anna, so EXCITED about being related to you!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Sorry I haven't answered sooner but we've been having terrible weather roll through here daily. Lots of ice storms and that means no computer access for me. I'm off to look at your photos now.

As to Madeline, no photos until this weather clears up somewhat which I hope is soon. It's been a long winter. Not so much snow but so bitterly cold and lots of ice. How has it been in your parts of the country?

your new mare is beautiful Sara

We used to own a stallion that was a grandson to Toyhorse Little Limelight

Eagles Ring Toyhorse I'm Smokin

I loved this boy and kept him for 3 years

showing him (he was my show partner) he did really well in pinto

but alas he got too tall for our breeding program

He was homozygous for tobiano and a beautiful black pinto

The only foal we ever lost was his first as we bred 1 mare to him before we sold him

It was a black pinto filly.......and a hip lock that I couldn't get unhooked in time
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back