new mare Rosie due any day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaturehorselover

Reaction score
I just got a new mini today, she is 7 years old and named her Rosie
default_smile.png
shes bagged up quite a bit and shes really thin for her size :/ hope her foal is ok

20140516_205236.jpg

20140516_205224.jpg

20140516_205215.jpg

IMG_20140516_092641.jpg

IMG_20140516_092738.jpg

What a pretty girl!!!!! So glad you added the pictures!! She's lovely!

Looks good, but you're right. She could use some more weight on her, but I know she'll be just fine under your care!

How tall is she? Do you know when she might be due, or who she's bred to??

A VERY pretty girl! Congratulations!!

PS. I'm going to delete the duplicate thread, so we can all follow one thread!

Last edited:
Ok aha thanks
default_smile.png
shes due any day she was a rescue so don't know exact due date ( always the fun part) but she is 38 " shes bred to a paint stud thats all the info the girl sent me :p

As a 38" girl, she's going to be able to pack away quite abit of feed. My 38" girls get 7-10# feed daily, depending on the season; mostly hay/forage, they just get 1/2-3/4# low carb feed. [They get a little more if pregnant or lactating.]

She doesn't look bony, just a tad thin for a pregnant mare.

Beautiful gal!!

Good for you for taking this gal in. Cant wait to see her with a bit more groceries. She looks "thin" to me. Then again my girls are pretty round lol

It's hard to tell in pictures sometimes. Yes, if her backbone is prominent she would be thin, and needs protein to build up her top line. Since she's pregnant, a good mare and foal feed should provide the protein she needs; or another option would be to add alfalfa to her diet.

Yes she does look pretty underweight poor girl, but I'm sure you will soon get her sorted. Just be careful not to overdo the food too quickly, but a good quality mare and foal food alongside grazing during the day and plenty of soft hay while she's stalled at night should help her right now. After she has foaled you can then up her feed to the full amount as she will need it to keep her new baby fed. And as she looks so close to foaling, dont forget to watch her 24/7 from now on.

I dont suppose that her previous owners stuck to a worming programme (from the look of her!) so make sure that you have an Ivermectin wormer to hand ready to give her within 12 hours of her foaling - or do any of you other Aunties here think this might be unwise considering that she may have quite a worm burden?

She's a very pretty little girl - congratulations and good luck!!

I think Ivermectin would be the thing to do once she's foaled, as Anna said, the best time is within 12 hours of foaling.

A good mare/foal feed starting now, should help her along, some alfalfa and make sure she has something to eat over night, as she'll be happy to chew her hay all night, and it will be good for her.

She's looking good! A few more good rolls should get baby a bit more forward, and she should be ready to go. The udder looks good, and could totally fill at foaling, so I'd keep watching her very carefully, and not leave her unattended.

She's so pretty!

Here is her LAST YEARS foal aha put in big so people don't think she foaled already :p she had a colt produced from the same stud
default_smile.png
hoping same coloring but filly would be nice
default_smile.png

received_m_mid_1400000311696_6c2e69864059d4a962_0.jpeg

Awww, cute little guy!! What a beautiful mare and I hope she has a safe and uneventful foaling!!

Latest posts

Back