Minis under 30"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is distocia? Thanks, Wendy
Distocia is when the foal either gets stuck during the birth or dies before birth. Either way, the mare has to have help geting the foal out, and the foal is always dead. The vet has to come or the mare has to be taken to the vets. Expensive bill follow.

Also, the mare keeps pushing and straining, and the by now dead foal, can break through the mares uterus. When it does that, she is dead too.

To me, just not worth the risk.

Like Charlotte and Frank, when our family started out with the minis it just seemed obvious that our objective should be for "the smallest most perfect." Early on though the truly correct little ones were extremely hard to find and extremely expensive, so as many others have mentioned we went with smaller stallions and taller mares, picking up a few smaller mares along the way too. The only problem foalings I've encountered were with two 33" mares. I've foaled out a couple mares in the 28" and under range and several under 30" and never had a problem. Of course most of these mares had some impressive birthin' hips on them, and if I'm ever concerned about their size then I have our vet check them out.

I've noticed that the top notch little horses still command big prices, and that some of the biggest and best farms use tiny studs to compliment their ultra-refined amazon mares, but that many people remain reluctant to deal with the little mares. I guess what confuses me about this is that we know that it's not so much about the height of your mare as it is about how roomy she is inside. That said, I've retained a couple smaller, more refined mares and the combination of petite size and slight build has me concerned. Finding a stallion that matches them in both size and refinement has been hard; the prices on them are always impressive, and I've still been beaten out at least twice now.

As for showing, all of our stallions have halter points in AMHA, but their classes were often so small that they had to beat the big guys and get a Grand just to get points. These days the taller horses are getting so extreme that that's pretty hard to do. I've started bringing some taller girls in to rework our small program and add better neck and length proportions. I truly admire the breeders that have already done this. To me, breeding a proportionate under 30" horse is a real challenge and a real accomplishment.

I love the little ones, when you get that horse that is beautiful in preportion and still under 30", they are stunning, IMO that is.
This is my 28" mare that is coming 5 in 2009. LR Scouts Miss Image. She is an L&D Scout grand daughter and was Honor Roll Champion as a yearling, Reserve as a 2 year old and two time top ten at world. She also has two open supreme championships as well as in amateur and youth.

This picture is straight out of the pasture in July 2008. She has not been worked at all for two years.

littlemiss.3446510.jpg

One of my other mares is also coming 5 in 2009, Honeysuckle Knoll Sundances Analisa, multilple top ten Honor Roll and Supreme Champions

This picture is also right out of the pasture with no work in 3 years. I love the necks on these two mares and they come by them through breeding, not sweating.

analisa4.jpg

I have another mare that is under 30" but fat right now as she is due to foal in early March, then we also have an under 30" gelding that we plan to show next year as a sr gelding 30" & under.

Your two mares pictured are absolutely STUNNING.........I'm surprised no one else has commented on that. They are an example of what minis should be..........ie, taking them out of context and not knowing how tall (or short) they are.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the original subject.....regarding breeding under 30 inch mares........People do it and do it successfully - speak to long time breeder, Tony Greaves of Lil America, who is the KING of doing it, IMO.

I feel it takes a person who knows conformation to successfully choose a small mare that has enough room in the body, a good hip, and a wide pelvis........to have a little girl that can birth a foal without too much difficulty.

As for me? We've done it successfully and we also had some heartbreaks. I won't do the heartbreaks as long as we can help it. Now we are going a different direction and are very happy with the decision.........

Dystocia (not distocia) litterally means difficult birth. It can happen in any species of animal and can be caused by many different reasons eg. foal not positioned properly. If a mare is having difficulty and it is not treated quickly and properly then yes the foal, the mare or both can die. It is generally associated with smaller animals as they lack the space a larger animal does; However, there are many small mares that have foals with ease and large mares that encounter problems. As someone who is breeding or looking into breeding you just have to be more aware of these issues, know the signs and have a plan laid out if an emergency happens.

MinimomNC your mares are beautiful! I do love the little ones but my driving mare is 33". My yearling show filly is only about 25.5" now so may not even see 30!

Cheers

Masako

Dystocia (not distocia) litterally means difficult birth. It can happen in any species of animal and can be caused by many different reasons eg. foal not positioned properly. If a mare is having difficulty and it is not treated quickly and properly then yes the foal, the mare or both can die. It is generally associated with smaller animals as they lack the space a larger animal does; However, there are many small mares that have foals with ease and large mares that encounter problems. As someone who is breeding or looking into breeding you just have to be more aware of these issues, know the signs and have a plan laid out if an emergency happens.MinimomNC your mares are beautiful! I do love the little ones but my driving mare is 33". My yearling show filly is only about 25.5" now so may not even see 30!

Cheers

Masako

Oops your right, I was writing so fast that I did not even pick it up that I was spelling dystocia wrong.

I love the little ones, when you get that horse that is beautiful in preportion and still under 30", they are stunning, IMO that is.
This is my 28" mare that is coming 5 in 2009. LR Scouts Miss Image. She is an L&D Scout grand daughter and was Honor Roll Champion as a yearling, Reserve as a 2 year old and two time top ten at world. She also has two open supreme championships as well as in amateur and youth.

This picture is straight out of the pasture in July 2008. She has not been worked at all for two years.

littlemiss.3446510.jpg

One of my other mares is also coming 5 in 2009, Honeysuckle Knoll Sundances Analisa, multilple top ten Honor Roll and Supreme Champions

This picture is also right out of the pasture with no work in 3 years. I love the necks on these two mares and they come by them through breeding, not sweating.

analisa4.jpg

I have another mare that is under 30" but fat right now as she is due to foal in early March, then we also have an under 30" gelding that we plan to show next year as a sr gelding 30" & under.

Your two mares pictured are absolutely STUNNING.........I'm surprised no one else has commented on that. They are an example of what minis should be..........ie, taking them out of context and not knowing how tall (or short) they are.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the original subject.....regarding breeding under 30 inch mares........People do it and do it successfully - speak to long time breeder, Tony Greaves of Lil America, who is the KING of doing it, IMO.

I feel it takes a person who knows conformation to successfully choose a small mare that has enough room in the body, a good hip, and a wide pelvis........to have a little girl that can birth a foal without too much difficulty.

As for me? We've done it successfully and we also had some heartbreaks. I won't do the heartbreaks as long as we can help it. Now we are going a different direction and are very happy with the decision.........
What is amazing about minimom's mares (say that three times fast!) is their legs are so elegant and thin, I think they look leggy--yet they are tiny! They look like beautiful Arabs!

Raven
raven2007worldshowbackdrop1.jpg

WOW! Very nice 28" and under PROVEN show mare! I'm impressed!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif
Thank you very much Dawn. I consider that quite a compliment considering the quality and success of your horses!
default_worshippy.gif

As for Sue's comments about it being easier to win in the small classes, well it is true there is less competition in numbers. But I, along with many other breeders of the under 30" horse, have multiple grand and supreme halter horses that are WELL under 30". There are hundreds, if not thousands, of over 30" show horses that never see a grand, supreme or a top ten in their entire show career. It's about quality, not the size. A great horse is a great horse regardless of its height.
default_yes.gif

Raven
raven2007worldshowbackdrop1.jpg

WOW! Very nice 28" and under PROVEN show mare! I'm impressed!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif
Thank you very much Dawn. I consider that quite a compliment considering the quality and success of your horses!
default_worshippy.gif

As for Sue's comments about it being easier to win in the small classes, well it is true there is less competition in numbers. But I, along with many other breeders of the under 30" horse, have multiple grand and supreme halter horses that are WELL under 30". There are hundreds, if not thousands, of over 30" show horses that never see a grand, supreme or a top ten in their entire show career. It's about quality, not the size. A great horse is a great horse regardless of its height.
default_yes.gif
Parmala,

I agree that a good horse is a good horse.

There are many horses that are World Champions that may otherwise not be anything if they were larger, because they are not usually as well balanced as a larger horse. But, if you have a really well balanced one, not only would you be winning that class, but many others as well, beating the larger horses. Take Tinny Jeanni for example or Buck Echo. It is harder for the little ones to win Grands and Supremes becuase there are so few that are well put together. When you own one that is, HOW FUN!!

I have several under 30" mares ranging from 28" to 30". I've not had any more problems with them delivering foals than their bigger counterparts. However, as has been pointed out, if there is a problem, there is less room to try to manipulate and reposition the foal.

My smaller mares are some of my favorites and in order to continue to breed the 'smallest most perfect horse', I will continue to breed them!
default_smile.png

default_yes.gif
I really like the way you think Parmala.

I share and appreciate the amount of effort and love that goes into achieving Grands, Supremes, and Champion of Champions, especially for the small ones. What an honor it is and no one can take that honor from you or your horses. The little ones work hard and deserve it!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the nice comments about my girls, I do love them alot. They are both coming 5 and we will try to breed them next year. We tried this year and Mother Nature said they just weren't ready. That's ok with me, I really don't care if they have babies or not.

As for easier for the small ones to win, my black pinto mare, LR Scouts Miss Image has gone Open Supreme twice as a 2 year old and only 27 1/2" tall. She beat out 34" stallions in taking her Supremes. She has also take Supremes in Youth and Amateur. Analisa has taken Supremes in Amateur as well. All it really takes is a judge who looks at the tiny ones as equals to the taller ones and places the best horse first, not the tallest horse first.

I absolutely adore the tinies and am going to breed my little Whirlwind as soon as I can find a good husband for her. One that I feel comfortable using. I do believe any mare can have troubles during foaling. As a matter of fact I have my eye on a little stallion as I write this along with two fillies. Just waiting to see what is going to happen with my daughters hip before I committ to more work. May have to hire someone to come in and help if she needs a hip replacement.

I personally love all horses, tiny right on up to draft.

I absolutely adore the tinies and am going to breed my little Whirlwind as soon as I can find a good husband for her. One that I feel comfortable using. I do believe any mare can have troubles during foaling. As a matter of fact I have my eye on a little stallion as I write this along with two fillies. Just waiting to see what is going to happen with my daughters hip before I committ to more work. May have to hire someone to come in and help if she needs a hip replacement.

I personally love all horses, tiny right on up to draft.
How big is your little Whirlwind? What is size are you looking for her "husband"? There is a very interesting comment from Little America Farms about breeding the little ones. It's in the section about breeding fewer minis this year. (cutting back). They have 250 horse and are expected over 60 foals--rather experienced! Lots of differant opinions are what makes the (mini)world go around!

I have 4 30" and under.....one of those is a new stallion that I just bought myself for Birthday/Christmas. He is coming 3 and is 27". I am very excited for him to arrive. He will be on my 09 show string.

Trigger-1-390x225.jpg

Next is my 5 yr old mare, she is 27".

123_2355-275x206.jpg

Next is a coming 3 yr old mare, she is 29".

126_2633-301x216.jpg

and my coming 2 yr old homozygous stallion, he is 28" ( I posted him for sale on sales page this week).

131_3139-303x229.jpg

Luvin those lil ones
default_wub.png

My Whirlwind is 28" of pure beauty! I am looking for a stallion about that size but am in no hurry. I'm just taking my time. - I do currently have my eye on one really nice little guy so we'll see what happens.
default_wink.png

My Whirlwind is 28" of pure beauty! I am looking for a stallion about that size but am in no hurry. I'm just taking my time. - I do currently have my eye on one really nice little guy so we'll see what happens.
default_wink.png
I JUST AGAIN HAVE TO SAY ABOUT YOUR JEWEL
default_wub.png
GOSH SHE IS PURDY!

I have 4 30" and under.....one of those is a new stallion that I just bought myself for Birthday/Christmas. He is coming 3 and is 27". I am very excited for him to arrive. He will be on my 09 show string.
Trigger-1-390x225.jpg

Next is my 5 yr old mare, she is 27".

123_2355-275x206.jpg

Next is a coming 3 yr old mare, she is 29".

126_2633-301x216.jpg

and my coming 2 yr old homozygous stallion, he is 28" ( I posted him for sale on sales page this week).

131_3139-303x229.jpg

Luvin those lil ones
default_wub.png
All are really pretty! I just love your new stallion! What a handsome, smooth dude!!!

default_wink.png
She sure is a beauty! I have recently bought my first stallion, and am sooo excited! He won't be delivered till end of April, as he is breeding mares down South first. April seems so far away! Good luck on Whirlwind's possible suitor!!!

Latest posts

Back