Boarding single mini challenges?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It looks like we're going to be moving overseas next year. Of course, we HAVE to take our mini with us :)
But, I'm concerned about how he'll do being a single horse herd after spending his whole life with at least one other horse.

We'll be boarding him there, so there will be horses on location, but not likely pen buddies.

Question:
Who is solo boarding your mini?
What challenges do you have?
Any lessons learned to share?

THANKS!
Robert

Mine is by himself in his own paddock, with horses on either side, and he seems 100% happy - to the point that whenever I think maybe I should get him a buddy, I wonder if it would make him LESS happy! He seems to really enjoy having his whole palace to himself. He came from the Amish via an auction and a dealer so as far as I can guess he was always in with other horses. He plays with his neighbors over the fence (well, they reach over to play with him), runs when they run, and seems totally unworried when one of them leaves. YMMV of course but in my one-rat study, all is well.

Mine is by himself in his own paddock, with horses on either side, and he seems 100% happy - to the point that whenever I think maybe I should get him a buddy, I wonder if it would make him LESS happy! He seems to really enjoy having his whole palace to himself. He came from the Amish via an auction and a dealer so as far as I can guess he was always in with other horses. He plays with his neighbors over the fence (well, they reach over to play with him), runs when they run, and seems totally unworried when one of them leaves. YMMV of course but in my one-rat study, all is well.
My little guy also has fence-buddies on 3 sides (5 big trail horses, 3 mini-donkies, 2 mini horses). I didn't think about him already being used to fence-buddies. He does love to visit with them. (yep, the "big boys" reach over the top of the fence to visit LOL)

I would think you would be more likely to face challenges moving him overseas than just him not having turnout buddies. When I bought my mare she went from a herd of 20+ to all by her lonesome and she loved it. She didn't mind me adding a stallion later, but she was happy to see the back end of him when he left. Currently I have 3 and each one has his or her own pen, and that worked fine until weaning time.

Goodness what a dedicated owner you are! We have one who is penned by himself. The reason is he's only got 1 eye and it was damaged so his vision is very minimal. For his own safety, he has his own place. He's paneled within the mini paddock with his own little shelter and access to the auto water. He still interacts with all the other animals, mares on one side of the fence, the littles on the other, but we know he's safe. The trouble is that he doesn't get as much exercise on his own so he's perpetually fat.

It looks like we're going to be moving overseas next year. Of course, we HAVE to take our mini with us :)
But, I'm concerned about how he'll do being a single horse herd after spending his whole life with at least one other horse.

We'll be boarding him there, so there will be horses on location, but not likely pen buddies.

Question:
Who is solo boarding your mini?
What challenges do you have?
Any lessons learned to share?

THANKS!
Robert
Hi Robert, I board my mini at a local barn that has total of 22 ponies consisting of welsh, GSP’s, yearlings, 2year olds & broodmares. My mini has a small paddock to himself but prior to me getting him he was turned out as a companion to yearlings & 2 year old warmbloods. Where he’s boarded now became a challenge of who he could be turned out with, if he could reach in to water troughs, hay feeder etc, if fencing was adequate height so he wouldn’t escape, that there wasn’t too much grazing or hay available etc. It ended up better all round for Citi to be in a small paddock on his own with hay fed in slow feed hay net, water he can reach in to but can still see other horses, ponies in other paddocks. He has his own mini sized shelter & he has a hay ball & also a tug toy ball (thought these might entertain him but he’s quite happy & has developed his own little routine as to when he naps, eats hay etc & seems happy enough. Citi was only gelded when I got him at 6 years old & he’s now 8.

He’s finally going to hopefully have a job & go in training as a driving mini - I’m totally nee to the ‘driving world’ but very lucky to be boarded at a barn that drive their ponies single, double & quad! So I can learn to drive with one of their ‘school ponies’ while they guide me through the process of working with Citi on the ground, in hand, then dragging tire etc before putting him to a cart. I’m excited to see how we get on & hope he enjoys having a ‘job’.

I did board Citi at another barn for a few months where he was turned out with another mini & next to paddock where my daughters full sized horse was turned out. I honestly think that the bond between Citi & I has got stronger since he’s been turned out on his own & he seems more relaxed & happy.

Good luck with your move & I’m sure your mini will settle well

Latest posts

Back