Measuring Feed Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you measue feed out ahead of time if your husband feeds the horses? Or does he know what to do? F

• I have to measure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He/she knows what to do.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm the only one that feeds the horses, they are all mine so they are my responsibility. [besides, he's too busy with feeding cows, heifers, bulls and maintenance on the place to worry about the horses.] He will throw hay and fill water buckets, if I'm going to be gone.

My hubby does all the feeding, AM/PM... all I do is watch weights and tell him if he needs to change anything, I also do the graining, if any.... but he fills the wheelbarrows for me! :bgrin

I'm the only one that feeds the horses, they are all mine so they are my responsibility.
That is true here too; but I surely do make sure he knows what-all to feed when I am gone to a show or whatever...
default_yes.gif
:

I'm the only one that feeds the horses, they are all mine so they are my responsibility.
That is true here too; but I surely do make sure he knows what-all to feed when I am gone to a show or whatever...
default_yes.gif
:
Well, I do have a feed chart posted in the feed room that states how much concentrates everyone gets and when (I have it memorized, but put it on the wall anyway); so he wouldn't be totally clueless.

My hubby knows what to do and CAN do it.....it's just a matter of GETTING HIM TO DO IT!

I had to live in Austin, TX for 7 weeks for my job a couple years back. He HAD to do it. No choice. Now he's looking at having to do it again while I'm home.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Measuring feed......heck, he can't even remember some of their names and I only have 5 in the barn.

I goofed and thought the vet was due out today to give boosters to 2 of the minis but it was yesterday and worked all day. It worked out that my SO happened to be here and the vet asked for his help. The vet couldn't even get the names right and he wasn't sure of one of them. But they got the shots into the right ones. I would of liked to been a fly on the wall, he never leads them all he does is once in a great while give them a pat.

I have the info on a dry earse board in the barn. I just need to change the amounts when anything changes.

I also have a dry erase board not only with complete feed instructions but my cell, home, vet's and farrier numbers, last deworming dates etc. Anyone would be able to take care of my horses on a moment's notice.

I've worked at a farm that used a dry erase board. I thought of using one of those. My husband is gentle and cares about them but dosen't feed them if I'm around. I am due to give birth in early February and I have been fretting over him feeding. He has only done it a few times in the past and everything has been measured out for him. I am contemplating between premeasuring 2 weeks worth of feed along with the dry erase board or just the dry erase board. He is smart but I'm a worry wart. I hope I can get out there earlier than 2 weeks but just in case ~I always prepare for the worst.

I also use a dry erase board, and on it have (like Shirley)

Vet numbers

My cell number

Husbands Cell number

2 horsey friends, (that know my horses) home and cell numbers

And in BIG letters

WHEN IN DOUBT....FEED GRASS HAY

We never know when something might happen, (I have had a couple of ER runs and had to stay overnight in the Hospital in the last couple of weeks) and my number 1 worry was.......to make sure the horses were fed correctly. I knew they would be fed....but my feed area WAS in such disarray...it was a MESS. I knew who/what everything was for, but no way could anyone else figure it out. So...... It is now orderly and EVERYTHING is clearly labeled....even the Hay. (my Dad still doesn't know the difference between Alfalfa and Grass...but hey....he's 85....LOL)

Sue
default_smile.png

i don't have a dry erase board but i have a typed list in a dry place in the feed barn. it's on the computer so it can be updated when needed, and very specific with morning and evening feed, and even a "map" of the pens and stalls and who is where
default_smile.png
of course the girls and i don't need it but i leave it out there just in case. as for my husband, he cannot fill buckets with pellets (because of the dust) and cannot touch hay at all, he has HORRIBLE allergies... however once the buckets are filled he can wet them and help feed, and he does help me whenever he is home in time (although usually, the girls feed at night when they are home - they still have to do visitation at their dad's regularly - because i feed EVERY morning...)

Guess I'm one of the fortunate ones..........Larry and I work as a team. We try to feed together when he's not on the road and we discuss changes in feeding together.......(and occasionally argue.... :lol: )

MA

He knows what to do, but hates to do it! I also keep it written down and posted in the barn as a just in case...in case neither of us could feed for a reason and I had to call someone (a friend, etc) to help out.

Harvey actually feeds the horses at least as often as I do, and yes, he knows how to measure it
default_yes.gif
: We talk about the horses and adjustments that may be needed. They may be in my name, but they are OUR horses
default_wub.png
:

Since you asked about signifigant other I had to say that I have to measure BUT that said that only applies to my husband. My daughter AND my granddaughter could take over in an instant if anything happens to me and I have a grandson who with exception of medication could do a fine job so hubby doesnt need to know. He does water hay and cookies so they wouldnt starve.

I also have a dry erase board not only with complete feed instructions but my cell, home, vet's and farrier numbers, last deworming dates etc. Anyone would be able to take care of my horses on a moment's notice.
i don't have a dry erase board, but I do have two pages pf clear instructions so that if anything happens to me someone, anyone, can step in at a moments notices and take care of our animals.

I think it is VERY important for anyone with animals who have specific dietary needs to have a plan of action in case something happens to them.

Latest posts

Back