Long over due Topaz update W/pics!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping the move went well.
default_yes.gif

Ahhhh. Thanks for the heads up on the gut! I thought it was a wormy belly! Still on mare and foal grain (14% protein I think) grass hay in the day and alfalfa at night.

The girls loaded up well until they saw the ramp closing then there was a little more chaos until they found the hay again. It was a bit of a challenge getting out... Charm doesn't like trailers much... She will load but then wants to get right back off (even if that means a 32 inch mini going under my BFs 31 inch inseam... Nope.. No story there! ;) ). I think Topaz trailered better than Charm but then she doesn't have any negative experiences. Charm was excited to get to the new place, see grass tall enough (in the back field where we unloaded) to get lost in and still having Topaz at her side. When we loaded I think she thought that one way or another it was going to be weaning day. Charms head swung happily about checking out the new diggs on the way back to her stall. She LOVES the Dutch door with a framed cattle panel top. Topaz just went along with everything with an " OK, whatever" attitude!

Pics soon!

So, while not intentional Topaz had dinner in her stall tonight while momma ate out in the field... They are getting much ore comfy being separated. Now if only I could afford the pretty little paint filly that just came up for sale! lOL!

So hows everyone settling in to the new place - any chance of some pics?

LOL!! Brilliant! Nothing like looking someone straight in the eye when talking to them!

Ok, found one of my cameras... Need to check the battery but will try to get some new pics tonight.

Just got more grain, I messed up... The mare and foal is 16% protein and then they have grass and I have gone back to all alfalfa hay. Is there something else I should be doing about that belly?

She is all fluff again so I am going to try and clip her a little more efficiently this time! LOL! She is halter broke now and will mostly stand "tied" provided no one makes any loud noise. She is desensitized to everything under the sun but noise. Had her walking on a tarp the other day, had the tarp all over her, flags, new horses, cars, trucks, balls.... Haven't found anything that bothers her for more than a second or two! Love this little filly!

Oh - I love umbrellas, pom-poms and water obstacles, too!

Love that head shot and looking forward to the next batch.

It sounds as though you are doing a great job with her - well done!

Not sure what your winter weather is like but I dont think I would be clipping her again. She is obvously growing her coat ready for the coming bad weather - mine all started several weeks ago, such a shame to see all those sleek shiney mnis turning into furry little beings but a necessary need if they are to survive the winter.

Cant wait for the new pics.
default_yes.gif

It looks like it is going to be a cold winter but we have a lot of heat and humidity right now
default_sad.png
. I got the clippers out and she trotted right over and put her head in my hand! I think she will have plenty of time to keep growing fluff as long as Grandam doesn't go too crazy. Last year winter didnt come until nearly spring! I was walking barefoot in December!

Forgot the camera last night
default_sad.png
I wanted to get pics of her and the new Big... Forgot it again this morning... Afternoon chores? Third time is the charm?

.............................. and the new Big ............??????

A Standardbred. He was started to race but bowed two tendons. He was retrained as a 4H show horse but was injured again this past year and is consistently sound at the walk can be sound at the trot lightly on the right surface. Will attach pics... Ms. Topaz would not stand far enough away from the camera... Bringing backup tonight!image.jpg

Oh what a handsome lad! How exciting - what are you hoping to do with him? Looking forward to seeing the whole of him.
default_yes.gif

Beautiful head and those eyes are like looking into his soul! Just beautiful, and I'd like to see all of him, too!!

I want to consult with my old vet to get more information on bowed tendons first. But... He is great with kids, has given beginning horsemanship/riding lessons, trails, parades... And he will pull a cart.

He was SO cute when topaz came to meet him at the fence (she is the only only of the horses to talk to him so far). He turned his side to the fence and lowered his head as low as it could go and purred. Topaz squealed and ran off. Poor guy was heart broken!

Anyway... For now he is a light riding horse that will do lessons and parties. He will also be part of the tutoring program. He smiles and says yes and no on command. ;)image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

What a pretty boy!!

That's so cute about Topaz. Hopefully she will warm up to him, so he has a little friend to purr with!

I had a DUH moment today... You aunties had mentioned the problems that come from weaning a baby without a buddy. Can you share some of those? My TWH cross has a bunch of crazy behaviors around her relationship to my QH mare and I am wondering if it is the weaning thing... Also looking for leverage on the boyfriend for bringing home another horse when the new big was not planned for!

Also, can more than one mini share a stall if they are buds? I got mats to fit a 12x12 stall and still need more to cover the floor in the stall I am thinking of.

Latest posts

Back