Jumping Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
I purchased a mare that has jumped before, I did not have much interest in it, but this morning I was working with her and was curious. I used 2 cement blocks and a board about 1 ft off the ground trotted her to it, told her to jump and she flew over it. My 8 yr old son was watching and is so excited and wants to show her as a jumper, the two of them has already bonded, and he does claim her, so I think it would be good for him to do (as I think he is to young to drive, and halter is boring for him). How do I determine how high she should jump, she is 32" tall. I have found some plans to build him a set of jumps, just need to know what is safe for the both of them, and if anyone has any tips on safety or any articles I would appreciate it. He is still building his confidence with the horses and I want to make sure he is safe. Thanks!!!

Our minis all love to jump and probably get as excited as your son did! The main thing with jumping (or anything) is to work them up slowly. I would start most minis on cross rails so they get used to jumping in the middle but that may not be an issue for your mare. I would set up several jumps about 15 feet apart if you plan to show. And vary the pattern, the distance between, and the jumps themselves (as long as they are safe). Start with a foot or even 18" and work up 2 or 3 inches at a time (over days, not all at once). If the mare has any trouble - refuses or knocks them down - go back to a lower height. With training and conditioning she should be able to jump her height of 32' or even higher. Be sure the ground offers cushioning (not frozen or paved) and don't overdo it on any one day or overall.

There is a book at Small Horse Press on Training Miniature Performance Horses (Hunter Jumper and Halter Obstacle) by Jennifer Alisia Garrett, a forum member and a JUDGE. It explains the difference between hunter (based on form and consistent gait) and jumper (based on faults) too.

Have fun!!!

Latest posts

Back