Locked Stifle out of nowhere

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoahG

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I unfortunately bring more bad news about Aggie. This morning her stifle was locked and it took several backing attempts to unlock it. This was when she woke up from a standing nap. Her stifle has never locked before and she has never had any joint issues until now. After moving around it moved and flexed fine. No heat or swelling around the stifle, and she tolerated me touching it, though felt slightly apprehensive about letting me touch it for the fist time.

This comes right on the heels of her nose stinking again and learning her gum has a fistula in it and that the socket never completely healed, causing a new infection. Vet wants her to go back to the hospital for debridement of the socket and filling it with a special bone cement. I can't seem to catch a break with this girl.

Going to contact the vet tomorrow regarding the stifle. Are there any alarming concerns related to a locked stifle that any of you have experienced with minis? Also any treatments that any of you recommend?

As always, any advice or input is greatly appreciated,

--Noah

Last edited:
Oh Noah, bless your heart and poor little Aggie! I've never encountered anything that you're dealing with (*knock wood*) but I would imagine some x-rays of the stifle to see if there's an identifiable mechanical reason for it is a good call.

Sending healing thoughts your way!!

Hello Everyone,
I unfortunately bring more bad news about Aggie. This morning her stifle was locked and it took several backing attempts to unlock it. This was when she woke up from a standing nap. Her stifle has never locked before and she has never had any joint issues until now. After moving around it moved and flexed fine. No heat or swelling around the stifle, and she tolerated me touching it, though felt slightly apprehensive about letting me touch it for the fist time.

This comes right on the heels of her nose stinking again and learning her gun has a fistula in it and that the socket never completely healed, causing a new infection. Vet wants her to go back to the hospital for debridement of the socket and filling it with a special bone cement. I can't seem to catch a break with this girl.

Going to contact the vet tomorrow regarding the stifle. Are there any alarming concerns related to a locked stifle that any of you have experienced with minis? Also any treatments that any of you recommend?

As always, any advice or input is greatly appreciated,

--Noah
Oh no! I'm sorry Aggie is having more issues. I can't offer any input but know I'm sending healing prayers to her.
A big Aggie fan!

Oh no! Poor thing. My experience with stifle issues is that they aren't usually that big of a deal. Exercise is supposed to be the big fix, and if she hasn't been feeling good she probably hasn't been getting as much of that as usual. Hopefully your vet doesn't think it's anything to worry about.

I’m sorry Noah and Aggie. You both have been through a lot. No experience here with locking stifle other than a horse at the barn. I just remember that it was a manageable issue.

Keeping you all in thought as Aggie has her dental procedure! 🙏 Hugs to Aggie and an extra hug to Winston!😍🤗

Latest posts

Back