I'm new with lots of questions!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Julie~

Reaction score
Hello

I just became a member here. I've checked out lots of the old posts and lots of people's websites.

I have been looking into getting miniature horses for a couple of years and want to do everything correctly.

I also have a hundred questions and would appreciate it if some of you could help a newbie.

My first question is:

Is it necessary to put your minis away each night into a barn with a stall? Can you just have a run-in shelter outside instead?

Thanks

~Julie~

Welcome from NH.

I put mine in each night but not till late (7pm). I believe that some here on the forum do leave theirs out all night with a shelter.

Hi Julie and WELCOME from Indiana!!!!! :saludando:

This is a great place to learn with some great people.

You only need to provide shelter for them our of the elements and cold wind, if the horses so choose. So yes, a run in shed is fine and is used by many.

I have a run in shed for my girls, 3 and 1/2 sided and keeps them cozy.

My show horses and babies are stalled at night, to make sure boss mare does not keep them from coming in!

Again, Welcome!

My horses are out 24/7 with run in sheds. The only time I stall them really is at meal time and then it's only a few that are stalled. During show season, that can change because some should wear neck / throat wraps (I was lazy about stalling them this past season though). I think if at all possible, it is usually healthier in both a physical and mental sense for horses to have as much "outside" time as possible with shelter available but not forced.

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Julie and welcome from VA. My horses are in run in sheds also. The only time they come in to stalls is the show horses when they need to be separately fed and conditioned.[/SIZE]

You will love it here!

Lyn

Hi and welcome from Florida!

I agree with Jill, though due to our nasty thunderstorms, mine are in more then out during summer thanks to bugs and storms.

However They would much rather be out then in and often say so!

I end up keeping the opposite stall time then most. Out all night, and in all day. Though once we have to start blanketing due to the cold, that will change back as I Hate muddy blankets!

Hi Julie! Welcome to the forum from Southern Oregon! :saludando: My horses are usually out 24/7 with run in sheds. The only time I barn them is when the mares are close to foaling and during show season for the show horses. My guys definately prefer to be out in groups!

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes!

I can't believe the number of messages on this board, how do you all keep up?

I should have mentioned that I live in Ontario, Canada. I have two Rough Collies and a Lab, whom are my current "minis." I've done obedience and dog shows and hope to get a couple miniature horses in the spring. I'm a woodworker, cabinetmaking specifically, and live in the country on a lake, with 8 acres of property.

~Julie~

Welcome from Texas!

All of mine except the stallions have free run. The only reason they don't is that I don't have separate paddocks for them, so they are on a 12 hour out/36 hour in schedule. If I had space, they'd be out!

In the spring my mares with foals come in at night, but only to protect them from the neighborhood dogs. Once they are about two months old, they go out 24/7 unless it's nasty out. Everyone else can come and go as they pleasse!

Lucy

Welcome from Montana.

I currently have 4 minis; 1 stallion and 3 mares (another mare coming next week to make 5 total).

My stallion has his own pen with run-in shed. One mare has her own pen with run-in shed (she's on a special diet) and two fillies have a big paddock with access to run-in; the two fillies go into separate stalls twice a day for the concentrate portion of their meals, otherwise they share hay in the big paddock.

I have put up dog-proof fencing (or as dog proof as possible - 6x8" mesh panels) around all mini paddocks, including the gates (found one spot not dog proofed, my dog found the hole
default_rolleyes.gif
: ).

This forum is great and so helpful.

hello :saludando: welcome to the forum from southern califorina!
default_yes.gif
:

all my minis have stalls and an adjacent walk-out area open to them 24-7. each has their own stall, which are all in a row, and their back doors open to the little paddock, which has no dividers, so they can all play together. we have the separated stalls so they can have some privacy and not eat each other's food, but they go in and out of their stalls all day. i think they all sleep inside because i find shavings on them in the morning. the only time i lock them inside is when it's raining, because my smart little ponies stand outside looking at me like "AAAH it's raining, it's going to eat me. HELP!" they could just go inside themselves, but no, none of them thought of that! so when it rains, they all stay inside. other than that, they get the run of the place.

welcome again. i know you will love it here on the forum!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

Welcome from south-central wisconsin!

Our horses are out day and night in run-ins. They do come in for grain to be fed but go out again when they are finished.

Show horses are in during the day but go out in the evening to play.

jennifer :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome from Ohio!
default_smile.png

My mini's are stalled at night. They go out at 10am and come in at 6pm. During the summer if its really nice outside (meaning no rain/mud) i will bring them in for an hour in the morning to eat and then an hour at night to eat. I think it is easier to have stalls for each horse but i can see how have 30 horses would be trouble to put in and bring out. by the time you get them all out in the morning it would be time to start putting them up for the night lol.

First of all a big howdy :saludando: from the bluegrass state of Kentucky.............. We have five big dry lots that our horses are divided up into. Each dry lot has a nice three sided shelter. I do bring our horses in when a bred mare is about 30 days from foaling, when we have an ice storm or when it is very cold, rainy & windy............... Added - the show horses are stalled at night during show season..

[SIZE=18pt]I WOULD LIKE TO WELCOME [/SIZE]

GetWellCard.gif
[SIZE=18pt]FROM ONTARIO[/SIZE]

We also raise rough collies.
default_wink.png
:

Hallo and welcome from sunny England.

None of my horses are stalled except when I am showing.

At present only four have sheds- all the rest are out 24/7 and no-one has died of hypothermia yet.

Mind you I live in a pretty temperate area- dry and cool and no snow for the last three years.

When we did have a really deep fall of snow- about twenty years of more ago we also had a HUGE shed for the Minis- and would they use it??

Not a chance.

It fell down form lack of use.

The last field shed blew away in 1987 in the only Hurricane England has had in living memory and I never rebuilt it.

Mine preferr the outdoors life, each stallion has his own paddock- they are the only ones with access to indoors at present.

rabbitsfizz, no snow for the last three years, I am moving close to you. or can I send the snow your way
default_wink.png
:

I just hate the thoughts of winter :cold:

Hello from Nebraska. I have nine minis and four run in sheds. I do have a barn that I can shut at night if needed, for my four weanlings, otherwise they have free run.

Latest posts

Back