i want a dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:saludando: Yes you should have married an animal lover. There is no middle ground here because you will never be happy without a dog and he will never be happy with one.

Hubby was in here when I saw this post, read him the header and I said 'go out and buy 2' He said thats about right LOL

If you are able to take care of the dog, have a place for him/her and can handle the monetary things, well then GO FOR IT!!!! You are an adult. Period.

My big question would be does he get your permission to do things? If yes, does he listen?

There are certain things in a marriage that should be a 'no you cant' , no you cant have an affair, no you cant hit me etc. But the little things like this, that dont have any weight on the relationship, no, these dont carry the weight of being told no.

As long as he does not have true HATRED of dogs he can be warmed up to the idea but if not you and the potential pet are better off not doing this. I've seen men who hated cats and purposely harmed them. The relationships ended although the animals took the brunt of it while it disintegrated.

Pups are going to be messy and chew and do, well puppy stuff that can be incredibly aggravating even for the most ardent pet lover so perhaps adopting an older well-mannered dog might be the best thing to give him a better experience than he'd might get otherwise. People get rid of perfectly good dogs for some pretty selfish reasons so I don't think it'd be too hard to find the perfect mature dog for your family.

Sorry....but in my experience as a breeder I have found that if EVERY member of the family

doesn't want the dog - it ultimately doesn't work.

I will never place a puppy in a home now where I haven't met the entire family and they are

ALL in agreement.

A couple of times I sold a puppy (siberians) to Dads that came with kids and no wife, only to

find out later that the wife wasn't there because she didn't like dogs. Neither home worked out, I'm

sad to say.

Shelley
UMMM this is how we came to have the shepherd dog
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: the shelter worker "thought" she had the perfect home for him finally and turned out the hubby didn't like dog's............I am fortunate to be married to an enabling hubby :bgrin :bgrin so anyway we have this really dorky dog just because he was on his last homing attempt his other alternative was the needle.

THANK YOU ALL...youve given me lots to think about........

i will keep you posted..

i did have a chat to him.... he says its the poo in the garden.and it jumping on visitors that he doesnt like................so i told him, i would train it not to jump up, and i,d pick up poo..

i really think it would be great for the children to have a dog........i,ll keep working on it!!!!!!

I have an idea for you!

I yard break ALL of my dogs! I can't stand poo in the garden either!!!!! And jumping dogs... don't get me started! I expect my dogs to be VERY well mannered. Laughs. My husband sounded just like yours. But, now he is the one that I fight with because he thinks it is cute that my husky jumps up on him! URGG! Still, there was a time that he was totally against dogs in the house. I proved to him that I expected the dogs to come in and lay down and not beg or be rude in the house. Well, years later he has slacked off and now he has a dog that sleeps on the couch! I don't like it, but I will say that he has come a long way from being anti dog. It just had to be his way to do so.
default_wink.png
:

You need to get the rules that you want the dog to live by established BEFORE getting a dog. You need to make sure that your hubby's feelings on the rules are understood and that you will follow those rules. Sounds like he doesn't hate dogs, rather he hates the way most people tend to let dogs behave. And it may also be the breed that he doesn't like. Make sure to ask him what kind of dog he would like if he had to have one, and then see if it is something you can live with as well.

Promise to take the dog to obediance classes with you and your hubby present. This way everyone will be on the same page.

Next, yard break your dog. I know this can be done as all of mine (accept my hubby's newest one) have been trained to go in one corner of the yard. You can even teach an older dog that you just got to do this. But, it must be worked on from the moment you bring that dog home to have any hope of success, and you have to be willing to walk the dog every time it needs out. What you do is walk the dog on a leash (I use a retractable) every time it needs out. NO EXCEPTIONS. You walk the dog to a designated spot every time. If the dog tries to stop and pee, keep on walking to that spot. Eventually, they will learn not to go anyplace but there. It is done just like housebreaking. And after a while you can take the dog off the leash and just walk with it to the right spot. And then years down the road you may even be able to turn your back and not go with the dog if you have a fenced yard.

Another option would be to fence off your garden so the dog can't get out there. Or maybe make a fenced area strictly for the dog (very large kennel) where your dog can be kept when you are not with it at home.

And I agree with the others. It is much better to get your husband to agree to have a dog. It is better for you, him, and the dog.

Good luck, and see if you can strike a bargin with your hubby that will make you all happy.

Can I make a suggestion? Puppy classes, obedience classes, rally-O, agility....give your pup a job and something fun to do and take hubby along with you so he can take part in making your puppy a well rounded individual! Participating in dog events has been so much fun for both my husband and I...the comaraderie and bond we share with our dogs is awesome! When we bring out the collars, leashes and sport bag and the girls know they're going to class....they yip and get so excited!!! Just an awesome feeling! AND the socialization will reflect at home as well as in public. When we went on our road trip to Oklahoma a few weeks ago, we enjoyed our trip and the hotel rooms tremendously. Good luck to you and that new pup whever it may be. :bgrin

My husband was not an animal person. 35 years later...... and LOTS OF horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs etc. (you name it we had it) he has changed his mind as it was me or the animals and me. Of course I keep an extremely clean home so there is no reason to B***H and moan about anything and the animals are very well trained.

I wish you luck as I could not live my life without my dogs.

I thought of this ad......change cat to dog.

husband-or-cat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OHHHhhh hhh that ad is TOO funny!!

I wonder if your hubby really hates dogs since you had 2 when you got together. How was he then? Did he gripe and ignore them? Or was he kinda ok with them?

I could not imagine life without my critters. Lost my first heeler and told myself I was going to wait a few months before getting another. Well that only lasted a few weeks LOL

I do wish you the best or luck!

Latest posts

Back