I’m back, sort of

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamond c

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I’m back with out really being gone. I’ve had some physical ailments for the last few years ( degenerative right ankle ) . And have had to really baby it. I’ve been able to keep working, but haven’t done much else. About 3 weeks ago I had a full ankle replacement. The Doctor says that I’ll be better come spring than I’ve been in 20 years. ( this has been a 33 year battle). So when the weather breaks in the spring I’ll be back working with my 2 mini donkeys, pleasure driving till cold weather in the fall the dragging fire wood after the snakes and ticks are gone for the winter. At least that’s my plan for now.

My Dr said 4 weeks no weight, 4 weeks partial weight, the work my way to full strength. My problem is, I have a tremendous amount of scar tissue from over all the years, and th skin doesn’t want to knit back together. Right now I’m 3 1/2 weeks in and although I’m still non weight barring I have practically 0 pain. Id recommend to go for the full replacement and be done with it.

That doesn't sound too bad, but 8 weeks is a long time if you have animals to feed. Being pain free is a huge plus though!

Ok , here it is Monday 1/1/24. That means it’s the day before my 3rd surgery from the plastic surgeon. It’s supposed to be the last. After this one I’m supposed to be on the mend. I know that nobody here really knows me but I guess you can say I’m nervous. I’ve never had anything like this done. I’m sure everything is going to be okay. I know that they do this stuff all the time. I guess that I’m just looking for a few extra prayers. Anyway that’s my update for now .

P.S. believe it or not this muscle flap and skin graft is supposed to be outpatient, but so was the last 2. Paperwork and administration got in the way with the others, so we’ll see.

Because of paperwork snafoos I did not have surgery today. At this point we are not sure when it will be. We are hoping for thursday, or Friday at the latest. The major hang up at this point is because it’s a new year getting the insurance company to approve it. My question has been for a long time, when did the insurance company start dictating how we care for our health and wellbeing, and how we drive. But I’m gonna stop now and climb down off my soapbox before I really start to rant.

It is such a hard thing to face surgery and then have the rug pulled out from beneath you because of administrative procedures.

Things will come together and in the meantime, as Standards Equine states, “We’re all pulling for you!”

Latest posts

Back