High Hopes Miniature Horse Auction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmequine

Reaction score
Just wonder if anyone on here attended the High Hopes Miniature horse sale on October 17 in Oklahoma? I was interested in the buyer turnout and prices.

Thanks!

Just heard from one person who went to sale. said a horse sold for $35. ugh. Her horse no saled, but then later sold it for 800. Wish i could have went, I would've seen a lot of consignors I knew. Polly had a few nice babies entered.

Anybody with a price list?

I will email the lady who contacted me and see if she does.

Thanks! Mark trimmed the feet on all of the weanlings that Polly sent to the sale and he said they were nice babies. $800 sounds like a decent price...that is the thing about a sale, got to have two people bidding against each other to raise the price. I always tell my consignors to know what they need for their animal. Just because it does not sell in the ring does not mean there is not someone there willing to pay your asking price.

I am glad that I put the $100 minimum bid on my sale this fall though. I know that is not much but it is a lot better than selling horses in the ring for $35.

I was there but did not keep track of the prices. I can tell you, the 2 horses that sold for under $100 were skinny, starving, little things. Surely the people that bought them are going to love them and FEED them. I just cant understand why some people dont think these little guys need FOOD! I dont know who consigned them or bought them.
default_sad.png

Viki

1. $350

2.$575

3.$210

4.$150 PO didn't give price wanted

5. $400 PO " " " "

6. $250

7.$400

8.$450

9.$450

10. $435

11. $450

12.$350

13. $550 PO wanted $1000

14. $350

15. $425

16. $575

17. $450

18. $450

19. bidding stopped, PO wanted $1000 (wasn't close)

20. $300

21. $450

22. $500

23. $350

24. $375

25. $375

26. $325

27. $425 PO wanted $800

28. $300

29. $300

30. $825

31. $350

32. $400 PO wanted $700

33. $425

34. $275

35. $250

36.$725

37. $250

38. $225

39. scratched

40. $275 PO wanted $750

41. $625

42. $425

43. $700

44. $300

45.$750

46. $200

47. $275

48. $350

49.$1350

50. $250

51. $200

52. $400

53. $125

54. $175

55. $275

56. $375

57.$300 PO wanted $2000

58. $150 PO wanted $500

59. $250

60. $775

61. $350 PO wanted $1500

62. $425

63. $150

then skipped to number

68. $250

69. scratched

70. $175

71. $375

72. $300

73.$325

74. scratched

75. $200

76. $175

77. $175

78. $250

79. $175

80. $200

81.scratched

82. $125

83. $185

84. $100

85. $100

86.$110

87. $30

88. $175

89.$80

90.unassigned number

91.$75

92. $75

93. $45

94.$75

95. $350 PO wanted $600

96.$350 PO wanted $750

97. $550

98. scratched

99. $550 PO wanted $1000

End of sale

Sorry, I usually have the results up the day of the sale but didn't have time.

I did bid on a mare that I hoped to bring home but didn't get her.

Mary

Thanks for the prices! Overall really not too bad all things considered.

Were there many people at the sale? I would like to get an idea of how many people go to this sale as potential bidders. Thanks!

There were quite a few people at the sale. I don't know how many for sure, but the bleachers were full; lots of people standing and still more in the stall area looking at horses. That sale is usually quite well attended.

The prices were about as I expected them to be. Most of the horses were of average quality. A few could be considered bargains. Surprisingly though, people still bring in dirty, hairy horses with absolutely no grooming done before going into the sale ring! Those horses never bring as much money as those that have had some grooming. A head/neck clip and some hair off the lower legs could easily bring $100 or more per horse! I just can't understand why people don't try harder. A little more effort could bring in a lot more money!

Most of the horses were bought by a group of 4 gentlemen who were taking them to Mexico. For those that were there Buyer 881 and one other were the Mexico buyers.

I believe 3 of the 4 colts that Ann (Polly's trainer) brought went to Mexico. I was bidding on a couple but let them go as I wanted double registered and I could have afforded to hardship them with what I was willing to give at this time, considering I was wanting to keep them as stallion prospects.

They were also the buyer of almost all the fillies. If the lot went below $400 for the fillies and mare they were probably the purchaser as they would stop most of the time at that price. They would go up to max of $225 on the colts.

I would have to go back to my catalogue and look but I believe they bought well over 20 horses.

I heard some people talking about these gentleman and horses they had bought before, but it is hersay and I will not go there since I don't know it to be fact.

I was there for nearly the whole sale. Overall, the quality of horses was much better than at the Chickasaw sale, which had a whole lot of what I consider culls and several terribly skinny horses. There were only a few really ugly (in my humble opinion) horses at Guthrie. Most brought fair prices, considering the current market.

My friend Leesa bought what might have been the best stallion in the sale: Top Contenders Red Baron. He is a red leopard appy, 4 years, old, with two AMHA Reserve Grand Championships and already green broke to drive. He's A/R registered though he measured just a hair tall for AMHA. The owner PO'ed him at $400 but sold him to Leesa for $650 before he left the sale ring. We're going to finish his driving training this winter and he'll be on Leesa's show string next year. So be sure to watch for him. He's a really pretty boy!

Pat

Vicki

I know the lady who bought the two starving colts and she will give them a wonderful home and make sure they get lots of good food, a vet check up, hugs and kisses. She will more that likely re-home them but not until they are healthy, fat and sassy. She just felt so sorry for the little guys. It was very sad to see them walk into the ring. If I was not at my limit I might have taken them home too--such a shame to see babies in this condition.

I was at the sale the entire time, too. I was a bit disappointed in the prices, but not surprised.

I took a few horses that I loved very much but hubby said if horses come in someone has to go out. I just bought a couple of driving filly prospects from Riverdance so some hard decision had to be made.

What I was most happy about was that both of my geldings went to what appears to be great homes. My tiny little chocolate palomino went to a lady that takes her minis to handicap camps. That's perfect for my little guy. A few treats and children to fawn over him and he thinks he is in heaven.

The my stunning bay gelding with a nice trot went to a gal that by the end of the sale had become a friend. I have no worries about the home he went to. They have children and he would make a perfect youth gelding.

Was I happy with what they sold for?

The stud fee on the chocolate palomino was $500. I had him gelded and he was totally current on his fall vaccinations, hoof trimming and worming. (All my horses were) I had trimmed him and he was cold, so I insisted his new owner take his blanket with him. That means that I had about 1000 dollars in him this year. He sold for $375
default_sad.png

So, no, I didn't make nearly as much money as I had hoped for, but that isn't nearly as important as feeling confident that they went to people that will love and take good care of them.

Besides.....you know how to make a small fortune in the mini horse business???

Start with a large one.
default_laugh.png

Barbara Kilkenny

Thanks Davie, for the info on the colts! When at first there were no bids, I about panicked thinking they would go back to the person not feeding them! I'm so glad they are with a caring person now!

Viki

Was the catalgue listed somewhere on line? I see their site but no numbers that go with them.

B

My friend Leesa bought what might have been the best stallion in the sale: Top Contenders Red Baron. He is a red leopard appy, 4 years, old, with two AMHA Reserve Grand Championships and already green broke to drive. Pat
Congrats to Leesa! I really like the looks of the Red Baron stallion when I saw him on the sale website.

Thank you Becky!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are a lot of minis headed to Mexico? I know of a lot more headed that way too? in all parts of the country, the minis are headed over the border.

I hope and pray that most are going to be resold to good homes but I suspect they are more than likely going to the Mexican Rodeo--
default_new_argue.gif

From what I've heard not a good place to be--I had a friend tell me about the Mexican buyers who come up to the Arabian sales to buy the cheap ones -- was told they take them back for the Rodeo --they love the Arabs because when the tie them down they will fight back-- that was more information that I wanted to hear. I can't even stand to see bull fights due to the inhumane treatment they receive, thinking about what would happen to a horse at one of their Rodeos makes me want to be sick.
default_smileypuke.gif
default_nono.gif

It just makes my stomach turn when I see a huge trailer with an open top pull up and start loading horse after horse onto it. I was unaware of Mexican buyers when I took horse to my first auction as a seller. I had taken a couple of my horses and cried when I saw my two boy--a young colt and mature stallion place on one of these trailer with no disregard to who was next to them--stallion next to stallion or mare w/foal. Lots of squeeling and kicking and those people didn't care--made me want to yell and scream at them but nothing I could do they were already paid for. I went back to the office and asked who that was loading the horse on that trailer and something needed to be done--was told it was a gentleman from Mexico and the horse were going there and since he paid cash there was nothing they could do.

That incident alone made me very cautious after that and I always ask who the bidder is that has the bid before I decide to let one of my horses sell. If I don't think it will be a good home I PO the the horse and take him/her back home.

Other option, minis don't weigh that much but the slaughter houses are still open down there. Not much profit in it with minis but I know they go there as well.

I heard some go to a Mexican "game farm" and I shudder to think of what they do with ALL those cheap mini colts on a game farm in Mexico. Truck load after truck load is a bit much for me to believe it's a petting zoo for the kids!

I feel sick.
default_sad.png

What makes me sick the most, is breeders that KNOW who's buying their colts so cheap and they don't care. Let's keep breeding so many to make money, because we can always get rid of the culls where it won't reflect on our breeding program! UGH!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back