Growing Tail out! any Tips?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to use MTG on my horse tails. It conditions well and it destroys the fungus that lives in the base of the hair. I love the stuff!

Don't cut it.
default_biggrin.png

On another forum I go to, some were recommending virgin coconut oil.

Leslie

MTG and if its long enough, braid it up and wrap with vet wrap over the winter, I wrap all my show horses tails up and they are full from the tailbone to the tip and it helps for them to get longer if braided, and don't wrap too tight with the vet wrap. If they are ichy and rubbing I use MTG and the baby oil and Listerine and do the same, braid up and wrap.

Someone once told me about Listerine and baby oil - but what is the ratio and is there anything else included in the mix?

Thanks!

I use Scope and baby oil in a 50/50 mixture. I think the listerine mixture is the same.

Arlene

MTG and if its long enough, braid it up and wrap with vet wrap over the winter, I wrap all my show horses tails up and they are full from the tailbone to the tip and it helps for them to get longer if braided, and don't wrap too tight with the vet wrap. If they are ichy and rubbing I use MTG and the baby oil and Listerine and do the same, braid up and wrap.
I am interested in doing this to my mare Bonny. She is going to be in a parade next May, and I would love for her tail to look nicer than it does. Her tail is gray on the bottom and is stained from her urine. I have tried everything to get the stain out. The best thing I have found so far is manure digester, it has enzymes to eat the urine and manure. And it hasnt hurt her tail.

I have thought of cutting the tail and starting from scratch with the braiding and wraping. I dont know how fast a horses tail grows per month but I have 8 months....

Do you unwrap once a week and re wrap? How exactly do you do this?

I kind of do it like coventry lane farms. Except, I loosely braid from the tail bone down. Then I rewrap/braid the tail back through itself. I then wrap it with vet wrap. I take it out after a week and let it loose for a day. Then rebraid it up again. I did this in the fall with my buckskin and by the show season in May, his tail was nice and full. He had a scrawny tail at the bottom. I would wash it once a month becuase it got pretty caked with dust. Everytime I braided without wrapping, they would pull their tail out and make it worse.

Bonny- I use this stuff call WOW mane and tail whitener (think you can get it through American Livestock). After 2 days for spraying this on their white tails, they were sparkly white.

I guess I am one of the unlucky people that had bad results with the MTG. It burned my horses tail bone and made it scab, flake and itchy. It also smells horrable, is oily and attracted dirt when hog horse does his daily wallering.
default_unsure.png

This is Billy's tail when I got him in March. For some reason it was blunt cut right at the bone.

126-2649_IMG.jpg

This is his tail a couple weeks ago. It's hard to see, but it has grown to below his hocks. Other than having a bath or two, I have done nothing to it.

IMG_3136.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]However you decide to put your horses tail up, be sure NOT to wrap clear up to the tail bone. Leave room for the wrap to move when swished, or hairs will break. Never wrap the tail bone with vet wrap or the ties that come on some tail bags. A friend of mine did and cut off the circulation. Her horse had to have surgery to amputate the tip of the tailbone due to this and infection setting in.[/SIZE]

So you dont wrap above the tail bone? Can anyone post a pic of the tail wrapped?

Keri, I will look into that product. Thanks!

I have tried just about every homade or commercial remadie out there.Nothing worked to par except Cowboy magic and Mtg. Heres what I do:

Wash with Quick color

let dry COMPLETLY! Ive had MOLD grow in a wrap b/c the tail was wet

Braid neatly

Put Cowboy magic on

bag and tie

leave for 2 weeks then Mtg and re braid.

After another 2 weeks, wash.

Many moons ago, when I showed Quarter Horses, and long before they had products like MTG or Cowboy Magic, the old cowboys would rub bacon grease into and around the tail bone. The tail was not wrapped, but 3 or 4 braids were done so the horse could swish flies. That bacon grease seemed to work magic back in those days. Anybody try it now????

40 years ago when I was a riding instuctor at a girls camp the camp director put bacon grease on cuts, etc. the horses might have. Worked quickly to heal and protect - had forgotten all about that.

LOL, wow, forgot about the bacon grease thing!

The black horse in the pic appears that another horse or a goat ATE it's tail off. They do grow back fairly fast and to keep mine from becoming thin on the bottom, etc... they get the bottom of their tail trimmed when they get their feet trimmed, to make sure they are not stepping and walking on it- especially if they back up and step on it- it rips out big chunks.

I have a stallion that has a white mane and tail... I never wrap his tail, but I do use the Quick Silver shampoo... after a couple of shampoos his tail is sparkling white!

I have seen some gray horses who are still turning color and have somewhat of a mixed tail- dark at the top and sort of white at the bottom. I have never seen any that were truly 'white' at this stage in their tail and often APPEARS to be dingy or odd colored, but it is not because of being dirty, it is just the true color still in the tail.

I want to braid there tail, and wrap it. But I'm afraid that I'm going to do it wrong. there is this horse i show against that the person wraped the tail to tight, and it cut off circulation and got gang green and they had to amputate it.

They would be out in the feild most of the time, can i still wrap it?

WELL, I've always used tail bags before then I thought I'd be smart and use vet wrap..... WRONG. I put it on they're tail bones and I about lost they're tails.

BIG chunks came out. I had to take one horse to the vet cause I accidentally put one wrap on to tight and it cut into her tail bone. DUMMY!!!! I felt horrible.

NEVER will I do THAT again. So now I put the MTG on they're tail bone and braid they're tail and then I lift from the bottom up they're tails up about 6-8" then vet wrap it. They still have enough of flies but it's up off the ground and out of the elements and OFF the shavings. My shavings in their stalls seems to eat they're tails, I don't know if anyone else has experienced that or not. But that's why I started the vet wrap, plus the dang tail bags kept falling off. They'd get the tail bags caught on a tree, or a laying down limb or whatever horses do to get them off. TJ

Latest posts

Back