Growing Tail out! any Tips?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said in mine, braid below the tail bone (loosely). Then wrap that hair. Don't wrap the tail bone. I don't wrap tight. Forgot to add how I wrap. Once you've braided the tail back through, wrap the tail around in the middle with vet wrap. Then bring the vet wrap through the loose hole (just below the tail bone), and then wrap under. So you would wrap the braided tail portion vertically. Then bring your vet wrap back around horizontally and finish wrapping. This way, the vet wrap won't just slide off if they are in the pasture.

I'm talking this tail is 2-3 inches from the tail bone! it's that short. Donkey generally keep there tails short, i cut it, hopeing the tail colors would blend in, because aura has a Red and Brown color tail, and it looked really weird, so i cut it back to the show cut, hoping it would grow in, but it didn't. That's why i'm asking.

Don't cut it.
default_biggrin.png
Actually, cutting the tail will promote growth
default_smile.png
. I take off just a tad to help promte growth...less then 1/4th an inch every once in a while...

I dont really do to much with my tails....when it gets closer to show season i will get a on a regular MTG/wasing rutine on a weekly basis but right now i will just MTG or cowboy magic and brush the manes/tails to keep tangles ext out every now and then when i get time. I cut about an inch or near so off the tail in spring to get the dirty muddy part off and then just a little bit from time to time following.

I don't know if Tami and Chesa did anything else with Doc's tail other than braid it and put it in a tail sock, but I think he's got the prettiest tail ever:

doctail.gif

I'm keeping it braided and in a tail sock, I plan on taking it out for brushing, rebraiding etc.. All my other horses have decent length of tail too, most of them touch the ground or longer, only thing I do is trim them up in the winter to keep it from dragging the ground in the snow, brush them out, and then when I clip in the spring I also trim the ends on manes/tails

On the MTG are you just suppose to put it on the tail bone or else where too? If so where else on it, the back part of the tail where the bone is at? I've just been putting it on the tail bone. Thanks, TJ

I always put it on the tail bone and the base of the mane. You can run it through if you want but it will get all over the horse. I leave it on 24 hrs then wash it out.Follow with a good conditioner.

Donkeys do NOT grow long tails!! There hair is corse and would not do well braided! Just put MTG in it and leave it alone.

Also, I put MTG all over the tail- and its worked.

Donkeys do NOT grow long tails!! There hair is corse and would not do well braided! Just put MTG in it and leave it alone.
Also, I put MTG all over the tail- and its worked.
I see that, lol. I just want her tail colors to blend in.

Trim the tail during the "Dark" of the moon....hair growest fastest then. Don't laugh...this REALLY works!!! I do it faithfully
default_smile.png
This also worked well for me when I was showing cattle and wanted a nicer tail to tease and fluff, so I would think it would work for your mule. Also, for cheapies like me...sew a button on a tube sock, cut a buttonhole, slip over the braided tail and button thru a braid at the base of the tail bone.

I use Cowboy Magic and braiding after applying and then putting it in a tail bag or sock, and I did this with my horses forlock and it grew at least an inch!

Over the winter I don't do anything with their tails. Not even brush them. I pick out the occasional stick that will get tangled up in them but that's it. I had a wrapped tail get the bottom broke off, about 5 inches straight across the bottom one year at a show. Our two year old gelding looked like a young yearling. I guess it got hung up in the boards of the stall and he pulled til it broke off. We were lucky it wasn't any worse than it was.

Edited to add, I do not really want a full fluffy tail for showing. I like a long smooth tail without a bunch of fly aways at the top and one that the judges can see the legs and how the horse walks without it looking like I am trying to hide something with a big tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trim the tail during the "Dark" of the moon....hair growest fastest then. Don't laugh...this REALLY works!!! I do it faithfully
default_smile.png
This also worked well for me when I was showing cattle and wanted a nicer tail to tease and fluff, so I would think it would work for your mule. Also, for cheapies like me...sew a button on a tube sock, cut a buttonhole, slip over the braided tail and button thru a braid at the base of the tail bone.
Interesting, and i like the idea of the sock!

What an AWESOME idea on the tail bag. Considering I've tried EVERYTHING else. I'll have to try this. Whoa this is totally cool!!!!! Thanks to the great idea.

TJ

Latest posts

Back