Keeping tails clean

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quentin Waltz

Reaction score
My little filly, 18 month old Miffy, always has a yucky tail. When she wees she holds it up a bit but doesn't hang it to the side out of the way and just pees all over it. Any tips for keeping it cleaner? Can she wear a tail bag all the time? Surely not? Any tips gratefully received. Screenshot_20231119_192711_Gallery.jpg

I'd absolutely get a waterproof tail bag for her. For the winter, I'm putting pony tails up in braids wrapped in cohesive bandages. There's no flies or buggies around now to bother them anymore. Keeps them clean and away from the snow that could break the tail hairs in ice.

I know some horse people do use tail bags consistently and just take them off every so often to clean/brush and reset the bag. Its good to make sure it won't be easy for her to catch the tail/bag on something that could rip it off.

Coincidentally I was just reading about hair care in the gypsy cob world - to protect their glorious manes, tails, and feather the owners will oil the hair to prevent dirt and stains from sticking. Not sure how well it would work with urine but that might be something worth looking into. Cob owners take hair care very seriously!

At the end of the day I think that is just life with a mare, although my boys have some yellow staining and grime on their tails too. When concerned with aesthetics upkeep cannot be avoided - nothing will replace time and elbow grease. I certainly see a lot of tail washing/care in my future!

My little filly, 18 month old Miffy, always has a yucky tail. When she wees she holds it up a bit but doesn't hang it to the side out of the way and just pees all over it. Any tips for keeping it cleaner? Can she wear a tail bag all the time? Surely not? Any tips gratefully received. View attachment 50828
My little filly, 18 month old Miffy, always has a yucky tail. When she wees she holds it up a bit but doesn't hang it to the side out of the way and just pees all over it. Any tips for keeping it cleaner? Can she wear a tail bag all the time? Surely not? Any tips gratefully received. View attachment 50828
I have the same problem with my gelding not lifting his tail up when pooping & his tail is always yucky! He has a really, really thick tail that is banged short - wonder if his tails too heavy for him to lift to poop or if he’s just a lazy little 💩er!!!?

I have the same problem with my gelding not lifting his tail up when pooping & his tail is always yucky! He has a really, really thick tail that is banged short - wonder if his tails too heavy for him to lift to poop or if he’s just a lazy little 💩er!!!?
They can definitely have a problem lifting with a heavy tail. Hairy cob owners will cut out a section of the underside of the tail so it still appears full and long but reduces the weight significantly. It would be well worth a try!

They can definitely have a problem lifting with a heavy tail. Hairy cob owners will cut out a section of the underside of the tail so it still appears full and long but reduces the weight significantly. It would be well worth a try!
Thanks @DB Minis I will shave some of his tail from underside of his dock & hope that works. He has such a beautiful tail but looks awful with dried poop through it 😢

When my granddad was rais minis we had a stud that we would wash condition and braid. Then we would put it in an old sock and tie it off at the base of the tail bone. We kept it that way for ever. At last measure the part that drug the ground was just over 7 ft long . My point is it stayed put up for years with no problems.

Latest posts

Back