Feeding Hay in Pellet Form VS. Bale Form

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I used to have a small hay barn for my square bales for my pregnant mares but my father has needed to claim it for some of his important stuff for work, so now I will not have a place to store the hay like I used to. My main question is, I am thinking of just feeding my four pregnant mares pelleted alfalfa hay twice per day up until their 290 day mark and then three times per day from their 290 day mark and on.

They live in a dry lot and I have mineral/salt blocks for them as well and I can scatter some treats around their paddock during that time to induce "searching and foraging" activities to prevent boredom.

My question is, what is the % of body weight that I would have to feed this pelleted hay which will most likely be ALFALFA pellets.

Comments, thoughts & opinions appreciated!

I'm not a fan of pellets or cubes, but a nice alternative is chops. Check out TNT Chops, they come in alfalfa or timothy-alfalfa. I have had great success with them. I feed 1#/100# of bodyweight like the bag suggests and I am very happy with how my horses do on them.

I am not a big fan of pelleted feeds as an only feed for most horses. Horses are built to eat little and often. A lot of horses tend to bolt their feed when it comes in a pelleted form. If I were forced to feed pelleted hay, as I have been occasionally with elderly horses, I would want to give it in smaller quantities several times per day - a twice daily feeding schedule would not make good sense to me. Horses need to consume an average of 3% of their body weight in feed per day so if you are feeding only the pelleted hay you would give it at 3% of their body weight and then adjust accordingly to how they are keeping their weight.

I would use TNT Chops but no one around here carries it.

Just some additional information added above and here as well - I soak the hay pellets to prevent choke, etc.

I know they are meant to eat little & often throughout the day but right about now it is the only option I have for them at the moment so will have to do what I can do. Pelleted hay is better than none at all. . . .

EDITED TO ADD:

Just found out from hubby we still have a few round bales at my neighbors so I will probably be able to give them handfuls of hay throughout the day but by no means will it be the % they need so they will still need to be supplemented with pelleted hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get hay cubes? If you plan to soak the pellets, you could soak cubes, and they would get more chewing satisfaction out of cubes. And, if you can find timothy/alfalfa mix it might be a better fit, depending on your horses. I have a couple I can't give straight alfalfa too, so try to find the mix or grass pellets (I do have baled hay, but the quality isn't there this year).

There are other brands of chopped bagged hay, so you might be able to find those. Our local TSC now carries "Hi Fiber" from Lucerne Farms: http://www.lucernefarms.com/feeds_forage.shtml And, Triple Crown has Safe Starch, a chopped hay product with a balancing pellet in it (if its available in your area, TC also has bagged chopped hay). Check out their website: http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/products

I've been feeding 1/4" alfalfa pellets for 20+ years. I've never had any problem with them whatsoever. They are the main staple of my horses' diets from foals to show horses. However, I do feed some other form of hay daily as well. Either cubed or baled as horses do need long stem fiber for proper gut function. There are many forms of hay out there if you shop around.

Horses are grazing animals and need the roughage. I dont feed pellets. I had a Mini mare get impacted on them once. I have had many vets over the years tell me that horses need to have the roughage that they were meant to have and stuff to chew on, or they are not very happy animals. Their food is gone in 10 minutes and then that's it. Also, with the way that pellets are processed, I have to wonder how much food value is REALLY in there vs. feeding 'real food'?

Will your neighbors let you put more bales there when the ones you currently have are gone? If so you should be able to give them a decent amount of real hay along with their pellets to give them something to chew on through the day. Just get a couple of large garbage cans and stuff them as full as you can to drag the hay home, or fill as many feed bags as you have room for in your barn so you're not going back and forth so often. A couple of busy snacker hay bags will help make the hay last longer to ward off boredom.

Could you purchase a tarp-style garage or shed to store your hay, with pallets to keep the bottom row off of the ground?

We have an Arrow metal shed that was intended as a tool/storage shed, but we ended up using half of it to store 6-8 3-string orchard grass bales at a time. It means more frequent trips to buy hay, but we don't pay a whole lot more than we would for local grass straight from the field. I wouldn't like to store huge amounts of hay in a metal structure, but for small amounts it works well (and we're in a VERY wet climate).

FarmTek has a huge variety of tarp-style hay storage.

Another option would be to stack your hay on pallets with a huge tarp covering everything (weighted down to keep it from blowing off). I'm guessing that in South Carolina you don't have to worry about snow load. We stored hay this way in rainy NW Oregon, putting down a floor of pallets, covering that with a tarp, then laying down another layer of pallets. The first layer kept the hay from absorbing ground moisture, while the second layer kept the hay off of the tarp, thus preventing sweating. Perhaps you could build something like this against the outside of your father's shop to give one solid wall.

I've always heard that while you should feed (total) 3% of their weight, and that a MINIMUM of 1% of their weight should be in long-stem fiber. If you follow this, you could you could supplement a base of regular hay with pellets and mimimize your storage space.

Do you have any cotton gins around you?

What I do here is stack my hay on pallets, and then cover it with a module tarp that I got from work. (I work at a cotton gin)

The module tarps are heavy and if you stack the hay till it is only about 5 ft high, the module tarp will completely cover it. Module tarps are about 8 ft wide by about 20 ft long on top and also have sides.

We have been feeding alfalfa/bermuda pellets for years very successfully. They contain everything they need. We feed psyllium daily to keep everything moving. We also will give them a handful of grass hay at lunch time for roughage. Not a fan of hay cubes.

For the sake of your horses' health, PLEASE find a way to feed a decent amount of decent quality hay daily! As others, even those who routinely feed hay pellets as a major part of their horses'daily feed regimen, have said, horses have evolved and are designed to take in small amounts of forage that requires thorough chewing, and thus SHOULD HAVE hay in some reasonable form daily. I am an STRONG believer that it is vital to horses' health that they get to eat long-stem fiber in sufficient quantities. It is not ONLY about nutrition; it is also about the 'experience' of grazing,or the simulation of grazing that comes by feeding HAY, which at LEAST requires the horse to chew, chew, chew! Not getting that time-consuming and evolution-dictated experience can and so often does lead to other health issues for the horse; that is a huge part of the serious drawbacks of not feeding SOME form of quality hay! Ulcers from stress, destructive habits, whether self or surroundings-destructive, like wood chewing,cribbing, and the like, are MUCH more likely to develop in horses that finish their feed in 10 minutes(as HG so correctly noted!)...when they are in a dry lot, they are almost certain to try to find something to satisfy that 'foraging need' after that...often something detrimental to them or their surroundings!

Yes, it may help to soak hay pellets; it is most likely safer for the horse, and probably slows down the consumption rate. Another option might be to feed some well-soaked and WET beet pulp every day; you can research the maximum percentage of their total feed intake that would be safe to feed, as beet pulp should not be TOO HIGH a percentage of their daily fare...and I would personally recommend beet pulp PELLETS instead of shreds; pellets make take longer to soak, but the 'bits' they break down into are smaller and less likely to theyselves lead to a choke or impaction. That said, I strongly advocate that horses STILL should get a decent amount of hay every day! Several very good suggestions have been made (I like the slow-feeders--they are a great idea and really help slow down the hay consumption RATE when used correctly); surely you can choose from among those, and come up with a way to provide your mares with a way of feeding that will satisfy their genuine nutritional needs in every way possible.

I want to add...I have a 28 YO mare who now gets only a 'complete' senior feed(TC Senior, which *could be* the only thing she eats, according to the mfg.),1/4" alfalfa pellets, and once daily, good WET soaked beet pulp pellets. She has had regular tooth maintenance for many years. She is at high risk for choke from trying to eat hay in any quantity sufficient to maintain her; hence the pellets. She will not TOUCH soaked hay pellets, or even, soaked hay, so that's not an option. For now, she is maintaining good condition, and at her age, she doesn't 'stress' as much as a younger/more 'sensitive' horse might over the fact that she is finished with HER 'hay' long before everyone else(she is fed separately, as are all but two of mine), but she can SEE them still eating! I try to help her all I can by feeding three times daily, giving her a small handful of alfalfa LEAVES a couple of times daily, splitting her hay pellets AND her Senior between two feeders, and sometimes giving her half, then the other half a while later,and putting large rounded rocks in her(ground-level, w/ mats underneath)feeder to'slow down' her consumption rate.I feed her pellets as her major 'forage' source ONLY because it is my ONLY choice for her; I would NOT do so for any of my other horses.

Margo

Although some horses do fine on pellet-only diets (especially "special needs" horses such as older horses with no teeth, horses prone to impactions or have scar tissue in their esophagus or whatever) I would highly recommend finding SOME way to feed SOME hay in addition to a bulk pellet diet.

Pellets are hay which is chopped up very fine and then extruded into shape. They are chopped even finer than hay cubes. Horses GREATLY benefit from having LONG STEM FIBER for optimal health. It will help prevent ulcers, digestive troubles, and think about this too: You will need to float their teeth more often if their chew time is reduced so greatly.

I agree that a tarped stack of hay might be a good option for you.

Andrea

I've always heard that while you should feed (total) 3% of their weight, that 1% of their weight should be in long-stem fiber. If you follow this, you could you could supplement a base of regular hay with pellets and mimimize your storage space.
That would be a MINIMUM of 1% of their body weight in long stem fiber.

For the "grazing experience," my horses get actual grazing in a grassy paddock of their very own. I have to limit the amount of time they are on it and I have to adjust the rest of the diet to allow for this, but they are very happy critters. If you have someplace your horses can actually graze, I agree that it really is a great thing for them mentally and physically.

I hope I am misunderstanding when I read hay pellet. Are we talking hay chopped very fine and compacted into small "pellets" or cubes?

Pellets are NOT forage no matter what they are made off and cannot replace the function of hay for proper gut function.

That would be a MINIMUM of 1% of their body weight in long stem fiber.

THANK YOU, Lori! That is what I meant -- I left out a critical word, so I'm going back to change my original post.

THANK YOU, Lori! That is what I meant -- I left out a critical word, so I'm going back to change my original post.
You're welcome!
default_biggrin.png

Well I finally found a place that has some okay hay for the girls. Its not the best but better than most aroundy area. FYI I was not talking about ALL my horses going on a PERMANANT pellet or cube diet. Only those that could not have fescue such as my pregnant mares.

Thanks for opinions and help. I have a great hubby who us donating his shed to store 25 square bales at a time and even though its not the best coastal its not bad either.

Thanks.

Tractor supply carries a bagged hay, I have used it its Timothy and Alfalfa. You could also feed beet pulp once a day to add to their fiber intake.

Karen

Latest posts

Back