Driving pony conformation concern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPR

Reaction score
We found a well trained driving pony that my husband likes. but he is post legged in back. Now I'm concerned about him becoming unsound. Would joint supplements prevent a problem, or perhaps boots with the cushion it them? Or should we just not drive him very far? How much would be reasonalble for a pony like this? Would 2 times a week in the summer month be ok, for about 4 miles per trip? He has no problems at this time and is about 7 or 8 yrs. old.

Being post-legged puts a lot of strain on the stifles and yes, could break him down much faster than a more conformationally correct animal. Also, I have noted that post-legged horses are awfully uncomfortable to ride in the cart with (the cart bumps up and down a lot) as I drove a couple Belgian draft horses that were horribly straight in the stifles. It was not a pleasureable ride.

Are you mostly walking these miles? Walking will not be as detrimental or uncomfortable for you or the pony. Trotting will be the much rougher gait for both of you.

Joint supplements don't neccessarily prevent a problem, it just eases it once it's begun (at least my vet recommended that for a horse that had an injury but no arthritis in the joint yet) so save your money on the joint supplements until the horse has an issue.

I don't think boots would help this issue much either.

Only you know what is a reasonable price for this type of animal in your area. Horses are so individual, that is why the price varies and is negotiable most of the time.

Don't know if that helps you any.

Andrea

I didn't notice the ride being rough. We have only put down a deposit on him. He isn't paid for yet or picked up. I'm thinking now, that we are paying WAY too much for him.

Joint supplements don't neccessarily prevent a problem, it just eases it once it's begun
Actually, it has been proven that joint supplements can slow the progression of joint disease if given regularly. It can also improve the healing if given before, during and after an injury. The #1 joint Dr. in the US (okay......so I can't remember his name right now.....got a lot of things on my mind today) gave a lecture on joints and joint therapy at the veterinary conference here in Michigan. They've done some extensive studies on joint supplements and discovered that they are indeed beneficial for use in prevention. In fact, at this point he recommends any horse in training be put on joint supplements after the age of 4 as future prevention.

What they ALSO discovered tho' was very disturbing. They did some extensive studies numerous joint suppliments and found that several of them had NONE of the chondroitin or glucosamine that was listed on the label. 80% of the others had less than what was listed on the label and a few had more than was listed on the label. There was only one oral supplement that cotained the amount of product that was listed on the label and that was Cosequin. Because these are "supplements" they're not under the same regulations as drugs are so you never know what you're getting exactly. The only way to guarantee that what you're giving your horse is what is on the label would be to give an injectible joint supplement such as Legend or Adequan.

Thanks for the info on the joint supplements. That's too bad that we can't trust a label.

I consulted a horse conformation expert about this pony (sent in a photo) and explained that we would be driving him 2 to 4 miles per week when in condition. She said that for this little bit of work, he should be just fine.

I'm thinking now, that we are paying WAY too much for him.
I feel the price should reflect this condition. If you feel it did not then I would renegotiate the price with the seller. These supplements most likely are not cheap.

Latest posts

Back