Billy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad Billy is ok, peanut had a dental on the same day! He has a tooth that will need to come out at some point and I am dreading that. Cappy had his out in March, they had to go through the sinus to get it and Peanut's tooth is the same tooth. Dental problems are no fun to deal at all. Did you keep his tooth? I kept Cappy's.
How it Billy doing now, eating OK?

And what did the Tooth Fairy bring him????

Attachments

• cappystooth.JPG
    cappystooth.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Dire predictions from the vet. I really need to get his weight down. He has been 260 before (vet didn't like that weight either). Why can't I just have a nice, fat pony!
I hate to keep him penned up. He likes to stand on the porch and look at himself in the windows. I'm wondering about getting a large mirror and attach it in his pen. Maybe he would feel like he had a friend. Maybe a mirror from an old dresser.
Billy has lost some since being with you, right? It may take longer for him. You are doing great with him. don't beat yourself up. It will come off.

Yes, I kept the tooth. It was cracked in half so it is not intact. Thank goodness it was a bottom tooth!
Billy has gained since I've had him. My healthy pasture is the culprit. I just can't seem to bare to keep him penned up on a dry lot. Our road trip messed with my routine; I'm trying to get back into it: a while in the morning to graze, dry lot, a while in the evening, then dry lot all night. Hay bag.
Yesterday he was uncomfortable with the tooth-thing. No piles all day! In the evening I saw him drinking and he put his whole face under water. My husband helped me, so I rinsed his mouth with salt water using that calking gun looking device. A dose of banamine. I'm going to rinse his mouth again this morning. Vet told me I didn't need to do anything; he would be fine. But I am afraid of infection.
Two piles this morning so I am happy.
What an ordeal. Also, I noticed there was a new tech help. She was holding his tongue, and did not release it while the vet was getting different tools. Maybe his tongue is sore also. I did not say anything; things are tense between me and the vet after Dapper Dan.
The two bottom pieces are the root and the top piece is half of the tooth. The other half broke in little pieces so I couldn't keep it. They thought I was weird for keeping the tooth.

Attachments

• billy's tooth2.jpg
    billy's tooth2.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 0
Yes, I kept the tooth. It was cracked in half so it is not intact. Thank goodness it was a bottom tooth!
Billy has gained since I've had him. My healthy pasture is the culprit. I just can't seem to bare to keep him penned up on a dry lot. Our road trip messed with my routine; I'm trying to get back into it: a while in the morning to graze, dry lot, a while in the evening, then dry lot all night. Hay bag.
Yesterday he was uncomfortable with the tooth-thing. No piles all day! In the evening I saw him drinking and he put his whole face under water. My husband helped me, so I rinsed his mouth with salt water using that calking gun looking device. A dose of banamine. I'm going to rinse his mouth again this morning. Vet told me I didn't need to do anything; he would be fine. But I am afraid of infection.
Two piles this morning so I am happy.
What an ordeal. Also, I noticed there was a new tech help. She was holding his tongue, and did not release it while the vet was getting different tools. Maybe his tongue is sore also. I did not say anything; things are tense between me and the vet after Dapper Dan.
The two bottom pieces are the root and the top piece is half of the tooth. The other half broke in little pieces so I couldn't keep it. They thought I was weird for keeping the tooth.
I think any kind of dental work bothers them more than we think. Peanut was sore after his float and the packing they put in his periodontal pocket and I gave him banamine. He also didn't make many piles yesterday so I gave him a mash with oil. This vet gave him both Ace and Dorm to sedate him and sometimes I think the sedation slows their gut down, of course I have no proof of that but who knows. I'm also rinsing his mouth, but with a solution of diluted chlorhexadine and h2o per the vet.
Cappy still has dental impression packing in the socket from his ordeal, that comes out next week. They had to use it as his socket communicated with the sinus. Been a long seige!

Give Billy a pat from me.

I think any kind of dental work bothers them more than we think. Peanut was sore after his float and the packing they put in his periodontal pocket and I gave him banamine. He also didn't make many piles yesterday so I gave him a mash with oil. This vet gave him both Ace and Dorm to sedate him and sometimes I think the sedation slows their gut down, of course I have no proof of that but who knows. I'm also rinsing his mouth, but with a solution of diluted chlorhexadine and h2o per the vet.
Cappy still has dental impression packing in the socket from his ordeal, that comes out next week. They had to use it as his socket communicated with the sinus. Been a long seige!

Give Billy a pat from me.
Yes, I was thinking the sedation may have affected the gut. They had to give him a little more, but it wasn't too bad as he was wide awake the whole time, just calm.
I thought of the chlorhexadine, but I'm thinking the saline is best at this time. He seems to enjoy it now. I'm rinsing three times until all the green slime runs clear. While he was there, I wish I had asked to have a blood panel done. All this talk about livers has me nervous...
Poor Cappy!

Does anyone know if such a traumatic experience, such as having a cracked tooth and then the extreme extraction, can trigger a lamanitic episode? Billy is just not himself. He is not laying down, but he's not moving far from the corral when I allow him out to graze. I took him behind the golf cart last night--with his boots on --and he seemed fine with that. I am just paranoid at this point after the vet scared me about his weight.

Any stress might cause a fluctuation in his blood sugar and that might cause an episode, but I would think that would be a rarity. Are his feet warmer than usual or does he have a digital pulse? Does he have a temp? Any funky smell coming from mouth or nostrils that would indicate an infection that would make him feel down?
You could always soak his hay for a few days as a precaution and hose his feet.
Fingers crossed he's just tired from the procedure. Keep us posted.

At last. Finally noticed no breath odor and no chewed grass. Hopefully that is the end of the bad tooth.
He is really showing improvement after the Adequan and now on joint supplement. I just ordered a new supply of the supplement; 30 oz, $77 with shipping. Luckily it lasts a looong time.
Good to hear he is better! Can I ask what supplement you use?

Latest posts

Back