Dolly's Due Anyday (I Hope) Foaling Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple more, sorry, the first one was about two weeks ago and the second was maybe 3/4 weeks ago. My camera doesnt give me the date until I download from my phone (at least I dont know how to get it).
default_unsure.png

Let me put them next to each other. Sorry!

dolly5.jpg

dolly6.jpg

dolly3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple more, sorry, the first one was about two weeks ago and the second was maybe 3/4 weeks ago. My camera doesnt give me the date until I download from my phone (at least I dont know how to get it).
default_unsure.png

Let me put them next to each other. Sorry!
Okay, middle pic is the oldest, first pic is second oldest and third pic is newest. I dont see much change???
default_no.gif

Well I see a change! In the last picture I am sure the area just to the front of her teats looks slightly more 'pouchy' than in the other pics (especially the middle one).
default_yes.gif

ok so you like to confuse us
wacko.gif
new_rofl.gif

Here they are in order and I definitely see progress

3/4 weeks ago

/monthly_02_2012/post-44389-0-48181700-1329158714_thumb.jpg

2 weeks ago

/monthly_02_2012/post-44389-0-97795500-1329158702_thumb.jpg

the newest pic

/monthly_02_2012/post-44389-0-50170200-1329158763_thumb.jpg

Look how her nipples have changed,1st pic they are crossed over, 2nd pic she has one nipple high than the other and in the 3rd pic they are aligned. Also look how her bag (area around the nipple) is getting longer.

I would say a month at the most.
aktion033.gif

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out how all this works! lol! I do see the changes your seeing.
default_aktion033.gif
A month would put her at 370+ days....is that possible? I bred her in hand and the last breed date was March 13, 2011??? I'm showing her at day 337 today. Am I calculating wrong?
default_new_shocked.gif

ok so you like to confuse us
wacko.gif
new_rofl.gif

Here they are in order and I definitely see progress

3/4 weeks ago

/monthly_02_2012/post-44389-0-48181700-1329158714_thumb.jpg

2 weeks ago

/monthly_02_2012/post-44389-0-97795500-1329158702_thumb.jpg

the newest pic

/monthly_02_2012/post-44389-0-50170200-1329158763_thumb.jpg

Look how her nipples have changed,1st pic they are crossed over, 2nd pic she has one nipple high than the other and in the 3rd pic they are aligned. Also look how her bag (area around the nipple) is getting longer.

I would say a month at the most.
aktion033.gif

No, your calculations are spot on and I am sure that now she has started to bag up she will do it quite fast. Some pregnancies last longer than others and even though it is normal for mares to go at 320/330 it isn't unheard of to go as long as 360

I'm going to hope sooner than later, but I know she'll go when shes ready.
default_yes.gif

I'm ecstatic that you pointed out the changes to me! I feel like I can really say we are waiting on baby now and not, the I'm not positive stage!
default_aktion033.gif
Thank you!!!!

No, your calculations are spot on and I am sure that now she has started to bag up she will do it quite fast. Some pregnancies last longer than others and even though it is normal for mares to go at 320/330 it isn't unheard of to go as long as 360

NOPE!!! No such thoughts! I had a mare who routinely foaled on day 365 from her breeding date! JUST LIKE CLOCKWORK!!! Drove me crazy the first and second years -- and then I just figured it out and it was delightful KNOWING when the baby would be coming.

I sold that mare a few years back to a friend, with the mare bred. I told her what date to expect the foal and she thought I was crazy! She started writing and calling and wondering if I had the breeding dates wrong! NOPE! I said that I told her she would foal on such-n-such a day, and not a minute before! Lo and behold -- exactly on day 365 as predicted!!! Beautiful, healthy foals -- everytime!

So, if she goes 350 -- you're not "done" yet -- you could still be waiting!
default_laugh.png
Well that's good to know! I think!
default_smile.png
she sure seems to be hanging in there! And not getting a bag! Still producing white fluid from the left side of her bag and honey colored from the right side. I'm trying to be patient, I really am!!!! Lol!

Any body else willing to share how many days your girls have gone, please do! Might make me feel better and will help take my eyes off the monitor!!! Lol!!!!
default_smile.png

NOPE!!! No such thoughts! I had a mare who routinely foaled on day 365 from her breeding date! JUST LIKE CLOCKWORK!!! Drove me crazy the first and second years -- and then I just figured it out and it was delightful KNOWING when the baby would be coming.

I sold that mare a few years back to a friend, with the mare bred. I told her what date to expect the foal and she thought I was crazy! She started writing and calling and wondering if I had the breeding dates wrong! NOPE! I said that I told her she would foal on such-n-such a day, and not a minute before! Lo and behold -- exactly on day 365 as predicted!!! Beautiful, healthy foals -- everytime!

So, if she goes 350 -- you're not "done" yet -- you could still be waiting!
default_laugh.png
great advice!!! thanks Diane! helps me out heaps too!!!

Well that's good to know! I think!
default_smile.png
she sure seems to be hanging in there! And not getting a bag! Still producing white fluid from the left side of her bag and honey colored from the right side. I'm trying to be patient, I really am!!!! Lol!
Hang in there Shayna!!! maybe try not milking her? until she gets a big udder?? just a suggestion...? I used to do it for weeks befroe Suzie foaled and she was SO sick of me feeling under there after!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

great advice!!! thanks Diane! helps me out heaps too!!!

Hang in there Shayna!!! maybe try not milking her? until she gets a big udder?? just a suggestion...? I used to do it for weeks befroe Suzie foaled and she was SO sick of me feeling under there after!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
Ok, good point. Is it bad to milk them? Thanks Cassie!

some say it is, I milk mine but only when they have a full bag and many other signs of being close.
smile.gif

I know last year was the first time I used milk strips, but I used them on the girls when all the other "signs" were in place for foaling.

For me, if I had been testing for weeks and weeks without all the "signs" in place, it would have driven me crazy! But that's just me!
default_yes.gif
Oh this is do hard, to me all the "signs" are there but the bag. I've tried not to worry about the bag, because the bet said she could foal with no bag and then she would bag up. Have you had any experience with this?
default_smile.png
Thank you so much!

Oh this is so hard, to me all the "signs" are there but the bag. I've tried not to worry about the bag, because the vet said she could foal with no bag and then she would bag up. Have you had any experience with this?
default_smile.png
Thank you so much!

Some say that milking them can break the seal which could let in infection but there are many of us that have done milk tests and there has been no problem. I will continue to test mine (reminder to myself to order a new block of Foal-Time)

There are 2 possibilities that spring to mind.

1) some mares will foal and then bag up (rare but can happen)

2) Has she been on Fescue? either in the field or in her hay?

If she has been on fescue you need to tell your vet asap.

Hope this helps.

Can we have some new pics please?
biggrin.gif

I will get new pics posted and if no baby by Saturday morning, we have an US appointment.
default_smile.png
I am out of patience and need to know! Lol!!!

painthorsekrazy said:
1329400215[/url]' post='1448064']Oh this is do hard, to me all the "signs" are there but the bag. I've tried not to worry about the bag, because the bet said she could foal with no bag and then she would bag up. Have you had any experience with this?
default_smile.png
Thank you so much!
I'm the exact same with penny lol
rolleyes.gif
Mares!

Eagle said:
1329402615[/url]' post='1448075']Some say that milking them can break the seal which could let in infection but there are many of us that have done milk tests and there has been no problem. I will continue to test mine (reminder to myself to order a new block of Foal-Time)

There are 2 possibilities that spring to mind.

1) some mares will foal and then bag up (rare but can happen)

2) Has she been on Fescue? either in the field or in her hay?

If she has been on fescue you need to tell your vet asap.

Hope this helps.

Can we have some new pics please?
biggrin.gif
Shayne I do milk my mares but from now on will be doing the same as Renee!! Making sure the udder is full then testing... My new fola time strips should be here soon!!!
aktion033.gif
Smartie knocked the last remaining ones of Suzies kit in the water!!! Grrr
rolleyes.gif
Lol yeah would love to see some pics... Please let us know how you go with the us??? Would be VERY interested to know what it says...

Have you felt any movements?

I'm the exact same with penny lol
rolleyes.gif
Mares!

Shayne I do milk my mares but from now on will be doing the same as Renee!! Making sure the udder is full then testing... My new fola time strips should be here soon!!!
aktion033.gif
Smartie knocked the last remaining ones of Suzies kit in the water!!! Grrr
rolleyes.gif
Lol yeah would love to see some pics... Please let us know how you go with the us??? Would be VERY interested to know what it says...

Have you felt any movements?
I think I've felt movements, but it could just be me. LOL There hasnt been anything that makes me sure she's bred other than producing fluid, quite a bit actually even though you've seen the pictures of her bag. I had a freind whos a vet tech look at her and she said she is defiantley bred, but I am just going to take her for an US to be sure. It's cheap enough and will give me peace of mind that all this waiting is in fact going to pay off.
default_yes.gif
I should of done it a long time ago! Maybe she'll just have it before Saturday and save me a trip! That would be awesome!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_new_multi.gif
default_please.gif

Any body else willing to share how many days your girls have gone, please do! Might make me feel better and will help take my eyes off the monitor!!! Lol!!!!
default_smile.png

My dates won't help
default_new_rofl.gif
All mine have foaled between 310 and 330! So nice of them to not keep me waiting
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

But each mare is different so you never know, even when you've had them for a long time you can't rule out the unexpected.

On the milking issue I also don't milk until many other signs are in place and then if I get very clear liquid I don't bother testing it, I might not even try the next day! I really only use it to get that "foaling in next 24 hours" test so I can be even more on stand by then previous nights. Although not all my girls will let me test so 2 of my 3 foals were tested by just feeling the udder (which almost cost me my head a few times from Lyric's mum
default_new_rofl.gif
)

I love the milk test but I do think it's making some people a bit blind to other signs. I learnt a lot more this year then last when I couldn't rely on it and didn't have the foal alarm on for 2 months (I wanted my sleep!!) so I got very good at reading the udder.

Latest posts

Back