Country Pleasure Driving Class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen this clip before, very sad.
default_no.gif

I've also seen this clip - it's been around a while but still terrifying. The best thing if you are in this situation is to go to the center of the arena - under MOST circumstances the loose horse will run around the outside.

If possible - let the loose horse run itself out without trying to stop it or slow it down. that's what changes it's course.

I think it was determined if I am remembering right that a nest of bees got disturbed and stung the first horse which set off the chain reaction you see in the video

That was the most nerve racking video I've seen!

I do believe that the video was from the Pavillion at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. I watched the Miniature Horse Show in there.

Does anybody know how the horses came out of the ordeal? And were they NSH?

The whole time all I could think about was the cost of all of those harnesses and carts! Those poor horses!

I haven't posted in many years, but this prompted me to post. I remember that, and it was the scariest thing I have ever seen. Many friends in the ring, one got knocked out.
default_sad.png
. It was at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, probably about 10 years ago.

It was an Arabian show. I believe all the horses were fine. Several people got hurt, but nothing permanent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freezin Cold B

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that horse in your avatar!!! Just wanted you to know...
default_wub.png

I haven't posted in many years, but this prompted me to post. I remember that, and it was the scariest thing I have ever seen. Many friends in the ring, one got knocked out.
default_sad.png
. It was at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, probably about 10 years ago.

It was an Arabian show. I believe all the horses were fine. Several people got hurt, but nothing permanent.
Its nice to see you.

I would think that there would be nothing scarier than this incident.

Its nice to know that everybody was okay (or not hurt too bad).

I've never had to deal with a situation like this, and I certainly hope that I never have too. Even with minis it could cause a lot of damage. However, I think they'd run themselves out earlier.

I do find the comments on youtube to be rude. I do think that the situation could have been handled a smidge better, but who can say that they could have done so? With a half a dozen scared Arabians who believe their carts bit them instead of bees, I think a lot of us would have done the same in this situation.

I most certainly hope these horses and people got a good amount of rest after this disaster!

Oh my goodness, have watched this before, but watched it again..

Just do not know what else they could of done, sure was upsetting and people say they will try not run you over, will try to avoid things, but my goodness, when they go off, you never know.

I seen a miniature get spooked at one of our horse shows many years ago, one owner was disciplining their horse just as they came out of the ring & set another horse off with a child sitting in the cart,

waiting to go into the ring.

So so lucky it did not run into anyone, horses or any vehicles, a man stopped the mini just in time from hitting a truck. Amazed this young girl held on to the reins but had no control.

Always wondered if that child still went into driving,

I know that day she did not.

Very scary, and sure hope that all that where involved could get back into driving.

I sure know it would be very difficult for me to get into a ring and drive again if something like this would happen.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Freezin Cold B

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that horse in your avatar!!! Just wanted you to know...
default_wub.png
Thanks. He's my Arab gelding, bred, born and raised with us. He's 23 now, but back in his prime (when that pic was taken) he won multiple Regional championships in halter and hunt. His only foal was even a National Champion.

Its nice to see you.

I would think that there would be nothing scarier than this incident.

Its nice to know that everybody was okay (or not hurt too bad).

I've never had to deal with a situation like this, and I certainly hope that I never have too. Even with minis it could cause a lot of damage. However, I think they'd run themselves out earlier.

I do find the comments on youtube to be rude. I do think that the situation could have been handled a smidge better, but who can say that they could have done so? With a half a dozen scared Arabians who believe their carts bit them instead of bees, I think a lot of us would have done the same in this situation.

I most certainly hope these horses and people got a good amount of rest after this disaster!
This was the first time I heard about bees being the cause.

The scary thing is, my mom said this wasn't the worst she'd witnessed. Back in the 70's she saw a horse come up over another driver. The driver ended up paralyzed. Actually, the last horses owner was disabled (that's why she ended up sitting in the middle of the ring after her cart got hit).

This happened right around the time we were starting to get into driving the minis. My mom had never driven the Arabians (because of the bad accident she witnessed talked about above). I've only seen her drive the minis twice. Once was in the 80's because my grandpa made her, and once was to qualify me for Worlds two years ago.

What carnage
default_new_shocked.gif
The last horse that was down, what happened there?
Bobby Hart came in and lassoed it.

There is something about watching this kind of thing that just reduces me to tears. I realize now, based on the replies, that this happened 10 years ago, but I can only imagine how terrifying it was for everyone there that day. Glad to read all involved suffered no permanent injuries.

If I remember correctly there was quite a lot of controversy surrounding this video- I shall not go into it as it is all hearsay- but the bees thing is relatively new, I think. I cannot see any proof of this happening, you can see just the one horse getting more and more worked up and then, well, it is understandable that the others got spooked too. My hat is off to those who not only got their animals into the centre of the ring but a few even got them out of harness- did not do a lot of good, as a horse cannoned into them, but they were in a much better position to defend themselves. Not one person "dropped" their horses and ran- they all stayed with them.

We had an extremely experienced horse (not a Mini) just lose it at a big rehearsal for a show, and went over backwards onto his cart. His driver slipped down (deliberately) under the cart, to avoid him, and six stalwart Kings Troopers had him sat on, cut loose and lifted free so quickly you would have thought that that was what we were rehearsing!

He was OK, but shaken, as was his driver. She took him straight home but he did drive again, I am happy to say.

Latest posts

Back