Can intestines mimic fetal movement?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
I was going on the assumption that Megan had lost her foal about a month ago. She looked trimmer and her udder went down quite a bit, but not all the way. Yesterday I was brushing her and I put my head on her back and put my arms around here in front of her flanks, where you'd feel a baby. I pushed some, and felt something moving in there. I did it a couple of times and definately felt something moving. I checked her udder and it is still smallish, but I expressed clear amber liquid.

Her former owner told me before that the last time she had a baby she did this, and had the baby within a couple of weeks. That was about a month ago. Her latest due date is the first week of May. She's not huge at all.

What do you think? Can regular digestive processes mimic a baby? Do intestines feel like that? I felt around on the mares that aren't pregnant and didn't feel any movement...

Let me know your thoughts, please.

Thanks,

Stacye

Have you had a vet out to recheck her since you thought she lost the foal? This would certainly clear up any curiosity.
default_yes.gif
:

Stacye,

I am thinking this is one of your new mares that you are talking about. The change in location to your place and a change in feed programs could very well account for the change in her belly size. Going from a lower quality feed ration to one that is better balanced and using higher quality feeds can certainly reduce her visable gut.

We have a mare we thought might pop in late Feb is still hanging on and her gut is no larger now than back then. However we changed from feeding lower quality first cutting hay to much better 2nd crop grass about March 1. Her gut shrunk a little and she has not made much progress viasbly toward foaling. The foal appears to be fine but some days we can't feel a thing. Some times muscle twitches can feel like a foal. She had some swelling in front of her bag and some filling in her bag, but that has gone up and down some since then.

Mark

I am thinking this is one of your new mares that you are talking about.
You would be right, Mark. I just don't know what to make of her. Could she still have something in her udder if she's lost the foal a month ago? This movement is not muscle twitches, I don't think. It's deep and rolling. I want to think there's a baby in there, I really do. Even had someone else feel, and they said that it is a real possibility.

Have you had a vet out to recheck her since you thought she lost the foal?
No, I haven't. I was not up close and personal with her until Sunday afternoon. Normally it's been just a neck scratching session and a quick brush off and hoof cleaning, usually rather quick. I just had Sunday to enjoy with them and spent lots of time with her. I think that may be a good idea, though. My vet does not have small hands and arms though, and can't palpate minis, is there anything he could tell me that I can't feel for myself?

Stacye

Megan tells me she is pregnant! Congrats!

Bonnie

I think just for the record that the answer to your question is kinda.. I have seen horses not bred and when watching them eating or feeling there flanks at that time you feel something kinda fluttery although not the same as a foal moving but if you havent felt alot of foals moving the "look" can be decieving as well as the feel sometimes.

I have one here I cant tell for sure yet either she is not really comfortable with me hugging on her belly or feeling her she will tolerate it most of the time but is so tense and nervous I havent gotten much feel yet.

Opps I just see now right under me here that well it will be over me once it posts... that Bonnie said YEP she is a mom CONGRATS

Also for the record had she lost the foal at this stage you would have seen it laying somewhere.

I have a little mare named Magic that is the same way........not sure if she is pregnant or not. I know what day she was bred on because she was bred in hand. Her sister is getting bigger but Magic looks slim one day and then the next she looks bigger.......Makes you wonder. I hope she is, she lost her last foal last year and I think a new baby would make her feel great......

Good luck with Megan hope you have a healthy baby soon.........

Megan tells me she is pregnant! Congrats!Bonnie
Oh, Bonnie THANK YOU!
default_wub.png
: That is wonderful news. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Now I can start thinking of more baby names!

Also for the record had she lost the foal at this stage you would have seen it laying somewhere.
That's what I thought too, Ashley. I walked the pasture real good. Never saw buzzards or anything, and she didn't have any physical signs of having delivered.

Stacye

Stacye

If she never showed signs of aborting, and you never found a fetus, I would pretty much guarantee she didn't abort..........

Latest posts

Back