Big Dilemma really need help....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossbuck Farms

Reaction score
On your auto water systems. We are installing them in our barn and don't know what hieght to put them at. Our biggest guy is 16 H our littlest guy is 28". No one has designated stalls.

Can I see pic's too. It will be put in spring.

I'm thinking you will want to designate stalls, at least for some. If you have one low enough for the 28" horse, it will probably get stepped on/in and broken by the 16hh horse. If it were me doing it, I would have some stalls for the biggies with the appropriate height for the waterer and some for the minis. I don't see a one height serves all situation being possible.

Our automatic waterers are quite low, since most of them are the "double-sided" type, which work wonderfully for a divided stall. We only need one waterer that serves two stalls. I'd guess the waterers' heights to be about 24". They've worked great for all sizes of miniatures, from tiny weanlings up to the nearly 38"-ers. And I've had full-size horses in these stalls too, with no problems, but I do agree that for full size horses you may very well want the waterers a little higher.

Thank you for the suggestions. Desinating stalls just don't work here. The reason why is because if I mix them up every couple days we have no more behavior issues at feeding time. I know it sounds dumb but it works I think we shoot for 24".

Mixing them up to cuts down on boredom. Most of our stalls have windows except a couple so eveyone gets a great view every couple days. I know this sounds stupid.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't sound stupid....you have to do what works at your place, with your horses. I am getting ready to install the auto waterers, too. I hadn't thought about the height issues. We have minis and quarter horses, and two of the big horses like to paw in the horse tank. I might have to put in two. I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks for raising the issue! Linda

The waterers we have are 24" tall and I think they would work for any size horse. Ours are made for cattle and really can stand up to a heck of a beating, the last owner of this farm had as many as 70 head of beef cattle that would beat up on them and they're still in great shape.

KJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back