Area shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would show more at AMHR shows if they had:

• Total voters

ruffian

Reaction score
I've been to 2 AMHR Area shows this year, and both were disappointingly small. Our local shows are larger. IMO I think it's because of the 1 judge/3 points. I think exhibitors feel that If the judges like your horses, you're fine. If they don't, you're out.

Thoughts?

I don't think my AMHR area (area 7) even HAD an area show this year ?!? How much smaller than THAT could be disappointing?!?

Most of the people I talked to that did not attend the Area VI show was because there was only 1 judge. If they like you, well that's great. If they don't, that's too bad. Hard to convince people to pay all of the money to show and drive there for just one person's opinion (I don't see the 3 points changing that). I think the majority scrapped the Area VI show and decided to go to the Cedar Rapids show this past weekend instead. More judges, better facilities, run amazingly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the ASPC/AMHR Club of North Texas was the first club in Area V to offer two judges, One for the Miniature Division and One for the Shetland Division. We always tried to

hire a Congress Judge for the Shetland division and an AMHR Judge for the Miniature division. This year's Area V show, which is being hosted by te Miniature Horse & Pony Breeders of Oklahoma will be having two judges as well. There were two reasons why we chose two judges...one, as you stated, if that judge didn't like your miniatures or Shetands and two...the number of classes now in those area show bills, some are now over 500 classes in a three day period. Waaayyy to hard on a one judge show.

I had heard of the great numbers at the Area 6 show, which was around 206 horses. I wouldn't call that a small show, when in Area 3 I think they had around 120. Yes, Area 7 didn't even get one this year and probably because there wasn't a club that could afford to put one on. Even for our club, the NTx club, we have run well over $30,000 through the

budget to put on a nice show for everyone to enjoy. There's so much that goes on behind the scenes. If you've not ever been on a show committee, I challenge you to volunteer to help and see what planning one is all about. Trust me, it can be an eye opener to make an Area show a "mini" verson of our National Congress or AMHR National Show.

Karen

Most of the people I talked to that did not attend the Area VI show was because there was only 1 judge. If they like you, well that's great. If they don't, that's too bad. Hard to convince people to pay all of the money to show and drive there for just one person's opinion (I don't see the 3 points changing that). I think the majority scrapped the Area VI show and decided to go to the Cedar Rapids show this past weekend instead. More judges, better facilities, run amazingly well.
Agreed - I was at both. And really, I don't think I'll go to another area show, because of the single judge. It was great for my horse that he liked, but if that judge doesn't like the style of your horse (especially in driving), you are out of luck. The Cedar Rapids show with 4 judges was great (and HUGE). And the judges had different preferences, which I also liked. I'd rather take a chance at 1 judge preferring what I have and getting a single set of points of 4, than the risk that the single judge WON'T like me, and losing all 3 sets.

I had heard of the great numbers at the Area 6 show, which was around 206 horses. I wouldn't call that a small show, when in Area 3 I think they had around 120.

Karen
There were some BIG classes at the Area VI show - I'm guessing the 206 was both minis and Shetlands? There were some good size mini classes, particularly gelding halter and country driving (same thing in Cedar Rapids, by the way). Seems like people are maybe gelding more, or showing geldings more - which is a good thing to my mind. . . and lots more performance horses, which I also love to see!

Yes, when we post numbers that's the total number of miniatures and shetlands showing at a show. 206 is a good number for an Area show. There will always be some "local" shows out there that will also have good turnouts at them with those numbers. Here in Area V we average anywhere from 150 to 225 at any one of our shows held in our area but I do know that we are fortunate to have an area where you can just about to to a show any weekend somewhere in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and travel to Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Tennessee, and as far away as Iowa and Illinois.

I havent been to a show yet this yr, But will in July to Midland. I prefure 34" and unders that have a harder time compeating in the ring now of days since the new trend. BUT I also hate driving in unfimiliar areas so I tend to stick closer to home, then drive many hrs for 3-5 classes.

I like more then 1 judge so at least I have a better chance to place then a 1 judge who maybe into only 1 style and over look the rest. It has happened before to me and not much fun once ya realize the whole show was a waste of $$$. I even keep track of what judge(s) to show under or not, that way its not a big waste for me. At least with more then 1 judge, if it is a name who I wont waste showing under, and the other judge is not on my list, I would still consider going just because I would still have a chance.

Otherwise cant wait to go and see how my lil mare dose this yr! Plus see my daddy since he lives near Midland.
default_smile.png

I'd be a bit more inclined to go if they had more than one judge for each division. Having a separate judge for the ponies does me no good as I don't HAVE any ponies! And if the Mini judge doesn't like my guys I'm SOL for the weekend.

But, we normally go to the Area V show anyway, it's always fun and I do like all the people I show with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't often attend area shows due to locations most of the time, but if its in driving distance I'll go. Went to area 4 this year and I think it had a pretty good turn out both minis and shetlands.

IMO this is a national show for your area, this is the next best thing for local exhibitors who may not attend Nationals. So one placing IMO is good enough. I don't want it to be like another local show, if you get 3 judges then combine the placings like they do at Nationals, plus AMHR/ASPC provides the ribbons and I'm sure they will not like the idea of giving out 1 or 2 more ribbons. I also liked the way the schedule was how the show started on Friday morning and the individual classes and the Shetland Futurity classes was held instead of waiting hours at end for the obstacle and jumping to get done and over with. It was a better show that way.

I did question as I haven't thought about it before and this may help bring in more minis to show and also keep more minis sustained in the futurities but why do they offer shetland futurity classes but not the minis?

I had heard of the great numbers at the Area 6 show, which was around 206 horses. I wouldn't call that a small show, when in Area 3 I think they had around 120.
Never said the Area VI show was a small one
default_smile.png
Just said that the people that did not attend did so for the reasons I stated. I am sure the same reasons go for other Area shows as well.

I haven't attended (exhibited) since 2008 (I think; maybe 2009) as I think the one judge/three points is not a good idea. Although I have to say the last one I exhibited was under judge Belinda Bagby and I find her to be unbiased as to type when she's judging even though she may have a bias as a breeder/exhibitor herself. So not complaining about my last experience, just saying in general, that's the reason I stopped showing at them. But not all judges are able to set aside their own biases, imo. It's human nature and requires a conscious effort to do so; not easy for everyone.

Please understand that I am NOT I am NOT trying to bash any judges or state that any are biased, but simply as humans we all have favorites in anything - food, cars, horses - and it's human nature to gravitate towards those things we like. I am simply trying to get some info before going to the Registry with any suggestions, if it seems reasonable, about the shows.

Shoot. I would love to show at more sanctioned shows that I could possibly get more points on my boy, but there is only one Northern Illinois show. Wish there were more and surprised that there is not. I don't own a trailer so I have to beg borrow and steal rides to shows and they have to be reasonably close. So no matter how many judges, I'd show more if I had more shows in my area.

Latest posts

Back