Alaska minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhondaalaska

Reaction score
Hi are any of you in Alaska?

I just got my first little mini mare.

I want to teach her to pull a cart, she was trained once years ago

And she seems to remember how to raine just fine.

I have looked and can not find any mini groups up here.

Thank you

I know someone in Alaska that has a miniature. I'm not exactly sure where in Alaska but I'll reach out to her.

I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to LB. Cant help you I'm afraid as I'm in the UK, but I hope someone can put you in contact with other mini owners not too far from where you are based.

Meanwhile can we see a picture of your new little lady plus a few more details about her please.
default_yes.gif

Hi i just got my little Diva this month. she is 11 yrs old. her papers say 36 inches but i am sure she is taller

. i finely found a farrier to come to do her feet for me as they need trimed pretty bad. i am enjoying having her. she has a sweet personality but has a lot of bad manors that we are trying to correct.

i hope to be able to get a cart for her next year. untill then we walk alot. my husband is glad because it gets me walking

, i have trouble walking due to pain so this makes me do it even if it is only far a short amount of time each day.

i will try to post a picture of her. my avitar is her as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi i just got my little Diva this month. she is 11 yrs old. her papers say 36 inches but i am sure she is taller

. i finely found a farrier to come to do her feet for me as they need trimed pretty bad. i am enjoying having her. she has a sweet personality but has a lot of bad manors that we are trying to correct.

i hope to be able to get a cart for her next year. untill then we walk alot. my husband is glad because it gets me walking

, i have trouble walking due to pain so this makes me do it even if it is only far a short amount of time each day.

i will try to post a picture of her. my avitar is her as well.

]photo.JPGdiva3.JPG

She is so pretty. I hope you have many hours of enjoyment with her. Keep us up to date as to what you are doing with her.

thanks i will. i am new to minis and havnt had a horse since i was a kid so i am re learning most things.

she is such a piggie that i am getting her a slow feed hay bag so she doesnt gobble her food so fast.

she is always hungry and even after she eats she thinks she need more.

Hi from Michigan!

Shes a pretty girl, enjoy here! You definately found the right place for questions and answers! Lots of nice people on here with some great advice! I know they helped me when I first got into minis and still help me now! Lol! I read everyday and always learn something new! It's great here!!

Good luck with her!!
default_smile.png
And welcome to the forum!!

Hi there! From Michigan too!

Sorry cant help ya from here. I did live in Alaska for 9 years and did'nt know anyone who owned a mini back then. Just pack horses. Im glad you found a farrier up there as Im sure their rare. Good luck finding someone and CONGRATS on your girl!

Not sure where your from... BUT of the looks of it, Twin View Farm in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area on craigslist has a mini. They might be able to help you if your not far from there.

Sandy is great, we ride at her stable. She helped me on the amount of hay per feeding, Winston her mini is so cute too. Everyone at twinview has been a great help. If I have to go anywhere I will board Diva there. Although she is a wood eater
default_sad.png
trying to fix that. She hates the rain so when it rains she eats her barn, hoping slow feeder will help that as well. For now I try to get her out of her barn and paddock as much as I can so she is not so board. I have even put her blanket on her so she can go out in the rain for a while. She realy hates the rain. I don't need to mow my small yard any more, she has done a great job doing it for me. Although she does not like the moose in her barn or in her yard. It was so funny to see the little bull run from her when they met. Neither knew the other was there.

I have never seen a moose run so fast up hill before. Last year at her old home the moose got into her hay and she had to watch them eat it. They were starving so the lady I got her from just let them eat. I don't think she likes to share her food. She is learning not to grab food from me when I feed her. I am making her back away as I fill her bag and the only let her come up when I. Say ok. She bit my daugter going for the hay so I am being strict with her about waiting for her food. Diva chalanged my daughter but not me. But then she only has 100 lbs on me and over 150 lbs on my daughter. We are working together to train her. It is so much fun . My daughter has got her to give her her feet now and sometimes on command even. She takes diva for long walks and trots because I can not do it. I go out and do small walks with her till I hurt to much and have to come back. I can't trot her at all. We share Our little Miss Diva.

Diva is really pretty and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with her BUT I want to see the moose. Please post a photo of the little bull moose.

ok I am trying to put up a picture of the little bull from early spring befor he got his antlers.\

moose-8x10.jpg

porcipine-8x10.jpg

Hi my husband helped me measure Diva yesterday,

I thought that she had out grown her papers, but we measured her to her last mane hair instead of her withers and she is 36 inches instead of over. The vet said she was over but she measured to the withers. Diva has fairly large withers as well but her mane goes almost to her back the flat part. So I am glad she did not out grow and is still a mini
default_smile.png

Hi!! From Minnesota!! You have for sure come to the right place for answers!!!
default_smile.png
my mini mare that was in foal this spring was getting close to foaling and the people on here just walked me through it since it was my first foaling and now I have a beautiful little filly! She is my avatar!
default_smile.png
she is getting dark points on her legs and face now, but I just love her!
default_smile.png
You will have fun with her! I just taught my mini mare to drive this summer, it was alot of fun and I had to almost make my own harness to teach her to ground drive, then got a cart and harness and now we drive all over!
default_smile.png

Hi kay56649

you have a pretty baby

I am training my mare to ground drive now. We have a harness that I had to adjust to fit her. She is an odd size had to make the girth and the cuppler smaller havn't put the breech on yet . I got another bridle as well , so I have one with blinkers and one without now.

I won't put the check on that came with is as everyone here says it is bad for her. That is fine with me we have a lot of hills so she will need her head to pull anyway. She hates the bit when we put it on, but once on she is ok whith it. We can't wait to get a cart for her.

Hopefully next year we can if not lots of walking time

Latest posts

Back