Howdy from Alaska!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie German

Reaction score
Howdy from Alaska!
I am fairly new to the world of Miniature Horses and am so in love! My first mini was purchased without my knowing she had laminitis. We struggled to make Skittles comfortable for two years at which point we turne her over to the owners of the rainbow bridge. After days and days of tears we rescued another mini who has a damaged trachea from reaching through fences trying to reach water and food. She was wild as a March hare but is now as sweet as they come. I have added a delightful, if not a bit naughty, filly to my collection. She is healthy and as delightful as they come. I look forward to learning all I can from this group. My biggest question right now is what can I do with a pony that has just turned one? She leads, backs, comes running when I show up and is learning to move off when I ask her to do so. Thank you for teaching me all you can.

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7822.jpeg
    IMG_7822.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2834.mov
    19.8 MB
  • IMG_7061.jpeg
    IMG_7061.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7040.jpeg
    IMG_7040.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Babies are loads of fun and very naughty. You can start any of the work you would do for obstacle class with a yearling. Sidepass, pivots, poles, walking trotting and stopping when you ask. And of course there is probably lots of work to do on the basics...tying, picking up feet, clipping, loading into the trailer, that sort of thing. And the hardest thing for me, practicing resisting the urge to bring her in the house.

Welcome @Maggie German, greetings from the great-white-north of Alberta, Canada!! And thank you for opening your home and hearts to some littles needing a soft landing and some special care.
As far as what to do with a yearling, what are you wanting to do with her as a 4-year-old? I've got big 'uns as well as littles. I have a yearling warmblood x arab colt (well over 15 hh already) and he's just started to learn about long lining. I've taken him to show in hand for exposure, he's been on field trips to make his world bigger, all things that will prepare him for under saddle training when the time comes. You can do SO MUCH with a yearling! And I'm thrilled that you are doing those things.

Welcome from Minnesota, Maggie German! Your first mini was very loved. ♥️ Your minis are so fortunate to have a loving and caring home. Love your photos and your dog seems like a real sweetie too!

One simple thing to do with your minis is to walk patterns, such as serpentines, figure 8, squares, zigzag, anything you can think of!

If you are interested in tricks, there is a book, Trickonometry, you may have fun with and it is suitable for any age equine. I’ve tried it with DD (mini) and Madelaine (donkey) with modest success. I think they are basically just humoring me! 😂

Latest posts

Back