Zebra Dun? What color is this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
I was just playing with the color calculator and put my silver bay tobiano stud against my possibly dark grulla mare and it came up with silver zebra dun tobiano first. What color is zebra dun and does anyone have photo examples? I have never seen or heard of one I don't think.

Hi there! I own a zebra dun pinto stallion & I would be glad to help! :bgrin I can't post pics on here but if you would like, I would be happy to Email them to you! I have 1 pic of my stallion on my website- www.geocities.com/highmeadowminis he is on the stallions page! :bgrin

I saw you had one on another post but your site is down due to too much traffic. If your horses are on your website then you can post them here by clicking on the little tree above and then putting the web address of your picture. example: http://www.geocities.com/highmeadowminis/stallion.jpg I hope that helps you out and I will keep watching for your site to come back up.
default_yes.gif
:

OK. Finally got into your site. So he is a bay dun? Also, I have a chestnut pinto named Peaches'n Cream too! lol. Popular name. Yours is real pretty!!

My site is working fine now
default_yes.gif
: What is your Email & I can Email you a bunch of pics

Good! :aktion033: Yes! I have heard of lots of Peaches N Cream! lol! :bgrin

Here is my zebra dun stallion - Hilltops Little Vegas

vegas02charge1.jpg

Here is one of his sons - Dusty Lane Vegas Robber Baron

baron05a.jpg

His last daughter - born this year - Dusty Lane Viva Las Vegas

viva07d.jpg

Another one of his daughters - Dusty Lane Vegas Double Your Luck

lucky1.jpg

And another one of my zebra duns - Dusty Lane Tributes Shez No Angel

angel06b.jpg

I am sorry I do not have pictures but do have a zebra dun and no she is not bay, she is brown and has strippes over her ENTIRE body in the spring like a zebra. They are not well defined, can be seen but do not show up in photos. In her winter coat she has just the more typical dorsal, shoulder bars and leg barring.

"Zebra" Duns can be any base Dun colour and they just have very prominent leg barring- sometimes leg barring is so faint as to not be visible, sometimes it is very visible.

Stormy, I suspect you have a "Brindle" that is NOT a description of a "Zebra Dun"

She is a dun, no doubt about that, but must admitt I have never seen one with stripes like hers. Also it is not a brindle pattern, have seen those....it is stripes like a zebra!

Here is my Silver Bay Dun Pinto Stallion, not sure if he is a Zebra Dun because of the Silver. He has alot of baring, but only in the middle of the summer, also picture of his Dorsal stripe.

IMG_1308.1.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Horse Chick- Beautiful mustang! :bgrin But I think he is a grulla, It is a dun, Called Grulla, Lobo dun or Blue Dun. One of my favorite colors!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Stormy- It does sound like your horse is a brindle, Is there a pic of the horse ANYWHERE??? I'd love to find out
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for the color website, Rabbitsfizz. I have a Strawberry Roan (or Chestnut Roan) Mustang-cross and it answered a question I had about color changes as he ages. I'm glad to learn that he will stay a roan and not go completely grey. I also have a Silver Dun miniature horse but I have yet to find a photo that looks like him. He gets fairly dark in the summer and lightens up in the winter. He has the classic dorsal stripe and Zebra stripes on his legs' he has a light mane and tail. (Some of the photos on the equine color site didn't load so maybe they have photos but I couldn't see them.)

Well once again I will say it, wish I had photos but just have never gotten one were the stripes show and this is not the time of year for them as she is getting her winter coat. I have seen brindle horses alive and in photos. She is not brindle. She has a stripe pattern just like a zebra just a little darker than her base coat. I have seen 1 dun before with short stripes over his shoulders and on his back but never one with a full pattern like she has. I will do my best next year to get you all photos, maybe body clipping would bring them out more, will see. Didn't realize it was that unusual!

Thank you everyone for your replies. I thought it was going to be something wild! lol. Those are all beautiful horses! Thanks for sharing them.

stormy would love to see pics if/when you can get some. Would they show up better wet? Sounds pretty unusual.

The bars over the withers on a grullo(a) are common and part of the color package there..... wow, a couple of pics above really have INTENSE leg striping!!!

Latest posts

Back