Yup, another farrier bit the dust

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I thought the Amish were great at this stuff and I was really feeling lucky, like I finally found someone to be my farrier. I've only gone though about 20 in the past 10 years.

This guy was lovely and punctual and very mannered.

But dang it he can't trim!!!!

Nope, don't know what the heck he did but I got one dead lame and Sonny is really ouchy. Very very sore. I popped him a bute tonite. Had to get out the hoof freeze and Venice Turpentine yet again.

Nick is walking winging out on two front. Dont' even have a clue on what he's doing behind.

I've got a couple more that used to be straight and now they are winging out.

I've really had it.

I mean I have REALLY had it.

I'm doing my own. This is just too much.

Marty - were they just done today??

Then they could very well be ouchy and tender-footed after having their soles pared and angles adjusted.... one trim cannot create winging/paddling issues that last...
smile.gif

Sorry you had to go through that Marty.

Am in the same boat as you right now. I called my Farrier, and so far he has not bothered to call back to see what we can do about Dyfra. Granted he messed her up in the first place.

If I can't find another Farrier, I will show hubby what to do. I just don't have the hand strength anymore to do it myself.

Is sooo frustrating!!

Marty, I have found that soaking the hooves, by letting them stroll in water, ahead of time, really makes the whole trimming process go smoother.. (easier and quicker)
aktion033.gif
Just a little thumbs up tip for you.
yes.gif
Also tenderness can be also caused by not "paring the sole out properly with a trim.. You may be able to correct his tenderness by having that done,- if this last farrier neglected that step...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am mad as a hornet like you cannot believe.

No he didn't do them today by the way but they are still sore and should not be sore for any reason and I am just plain ticked.

Their feet are going in every direction. Granted, they were overdue a little bit, but that is certainly not a reason for them to have such a crappy job done. He did cause it because they were a bit long----long enough so that he didn't take them down right at all and left them winging on the sides.

My good, no great farrier back home that I had for 17 years would come and do my horse's feet and we'd get on and ride and never these problems that I have had in the past ten years.

Oh and the worst part is that Jerry and I do Timmy and have since he was born once a week, now once every two weeks or so. Well that guy just flat out nearly undid all the work we did to get Timmy perfect on those little toes. We are going to wait until Saturday when Jerry has time and see if there is anything we can do with it or just have to wait a few weeks. Poor Sonny is pitiful. I'm going to end up with him having a mechinal founder so that's why I have decided to give him the bute now for some relief.

Well - how long has it been since they were trimmed??
smile.gif

If they were a bit long, then you know that the sudden adjustment can make them ouchy for a bit - until they get used to the new angles etc. One good reason why it is not a good idea to do a drastic trim the day before a big show...
yes.gif

What did he do to Timmy that messed things up?? We have had to take some babies' feet back really hard to avoid having their heels roll under and their toes get long etc. Fortunately - not all of them tend to do that.... and after a day or so the kids loved their new "dancing shoes"...
laugh.gif

Some of my horses are a bit sore today; they were just trimmed yesterday. I feel it is somewhat my fault, not the farrier's, as I knew better than to go late. Also, the weather had been very wet and muddy, so it is possible the hooves had softened up some, as well. When this happens, I use the turpintine, or Tuff-Stuff for a day or so, and they are okay.

As for the angles, I always watch like a hawk when the feet are being trimmed, you get to know at once if a foot is off. A few times I have had the farrier take a bit more off here or there if it didn't suit me. Didn't this farrier have and use, the hoof guage? My farrier uses his a lot, just to ensure the proper angle is kept. Perhaps it could be as simple as buying him one, if that is the problem.

One bad trim is not the end...it's not good, but can be corrected easily. Rather than not give this farrier another chance, (as they are difficult to find in your neck-of-the-woods) perhaps you could better educate this guy on what your horses require.

Marty i hear ya..i have the same problems if they are good they are flakes if they show they arent good.

Had one show up charged 30 bucks for a trim OUCH but ok was willing to pay it i guess since no one else here is working out. this person is good not great but good well they did my T/B who was lame from an abscess (ok when isnt he) so they only did the 2 front feet and charged 30 bucks for 2 feet and 10min of work.. not cool in my book. Truth be told.. I might have opted to pay 20 or so anyway but to charge the full amount for half a job just wasnt right in my book so.. back to the drawing board..

oh and to those who say gas, travel ect ... nope not in this case when they work less then 4 miles from me on that day all day and had no one else scheduled after and knew it was for this one horse only.

Didn't this farrier have and use, the hoof guage?

Good heaven's no. Haven't had a farrier use one of those in years....

OK let me just make this one point and I'll quit venting:

I am not a hoof person, but I expect the farrier to be.

I have no training, no experience, and schooling in trimming feet, but he should.

A farrier is someone that should be knowledgable and proud of his trade, and someone I can trust.

I need a farrier that I can trust to just jump on in there and trim and do it right. That means, not make my quarter horse cripple, not grow big long heels on my miniatures and expect them to rack like a Walking Horse and so on and so forth, and know when he has found a problem, what that problem is and to notify me about it.

I rely on the farrier to have a brain, a skill, and use it.

He should not expect me, the owner to hover over top of him and instruct him on how to angle this and that and measure this and measure that. I'm not the expert, he's supposed to be! I'm not in the position of telling a farrier how to do his job. If he doesn't know, then what is he doing in the business?

Hi Marty, Even where I live "in the land of farriers", I have been dissapointed in the quality of the work, when I was forced to use one, because of back problems, I was having.. I hope you dont mind me sharing a great site that Margo shared with me.. http://www.centaurforge.com/ I couldnt help but notice when I ordered a pair of GE hoof trimmers that they also offer a variety of videos as well. ( although Im not sure about current stock availability) I know youve mentioned that it is hard for you to do,cause of the bending over part... but you can limit your self to doing one horse a day til you get the hang of it.
yes.gif

I need a farrier that I can trust to just jump on in there and trim and do it right. That means, not make my quarter horse cripple, not grow big long heels on my miniatures and expect them to rack like a Walking Horse and so on and so forth, and know when he has found a problem, what that problem is and to notify me about it.
Does Sonny need a special trim? Had he had problems in the past? If so, this farrier might not know it.Some horses need high heels, some don't. Sometimes it takes a farrier a trim or two, before he "knows" your horse's feet. and YES, he should be using a guage...perhaps this has been the problem with the other farriers as well.

Didn't this farrier have and use, the hoof guage?
Good heaven's no. Haven't had a farrier use one of those in years....
You say you shouldn't need to hover, but YOU know your horse's feet, you want low heels...TELL the farrier to trim the way you KNOW they need to be trimmed. If it had been awhile, the heels will have been long, did he know it was from being late...not the way they were trimmed before? Some people I know, like a lot of heel. (Too much IMO, but what they want on their horses is their concern, not mine.)

My farrier is very, very good, and a well trained professional; but when I want something changed...I will mention it and we discuss the options.

To me, it's like getting a haircut. My Stylist is a professional too, yes, but not all cuts are the same, on everybody...

Being Amish, perhaps he has only done just one or two types of horses, not all take the same trim. I simply say...give him a chance.

Marty,

I wish I lived close to you. I truly love trimming hooves. I limit myself like Mary said if my back gets too sore but can do a few in a day and sometimes more than a few. And I only have many years and thousands of hooves of experience. It is one of those things that I feel some people have "an eye" for.

The few times I ever had mine done by someone else was the few times I had a horse with a trainer........ and I could not WAIT to trim them myself the day they came home and get them back to Right!

Maybe you can find a mini friend who lives relatively close to you who does their own and enjoys it like I do.

Susan O.

Oh no, not another one.... I am so sorry.... I'd be angry, too if I were you...

I have the BEST farrier - I mean the BEST! Forget about the part about always being on time, calling me from his celphone if he's running late. He is an experienced Natural Balance farrier, incredible amount of knowledge, knows how to work with my horses. Does not have his own agenda, but trims according to each horses' individual needs. Patient, compassionate. His wife works with him as an assistant. Just incredible.

Sorry I can't clone him and send the clone over your way!

Sorry Marty,
sad.gif
I do stay right with my farrier & after each horse is done I take them for a walk, set them up, to be sure they are straight & I also trot them to be sure they move right
unsure.gif
. I am fussy & I have a Amish faqrrier but he isn't a wizzard
biggrin.gif
Between the 2 of us the horses are generally right on target.

Give him another chance but watch him like a hawk
yes.gif
cjmm

CJMM6 said:
Sorry Marty,
sad.gif
  I do  stay right with my farrier & after each horse is done I take them for a walk, set them up, to be sure they are straight & I also trot them to be sure they move right
unsure.gif
biggrin.gif
  Between the 2 of us the horses are  generally right on target.Give him another chance but watch him like a hawk
yes.gif
  cjmm

484062[/snapback]

smile.gif
I am always in attendance with tthe farrier.... and hold every horse for him. We discuss any major work... examine individual cases... and he even does the remedial/therapeutic trimming on my little dwarf buddy Cowboy for FREE... simply because he likes him.

Thus we analyze those with no heels, steep heels, flares here, there and everywhere.... and occasionally even bring up other topics in our conversation!
laugh.gif

CJMM6 said:
Sorry Marty,
sad.gif
  I do  stay right with my farrier & after each horse is done I take them for a walk, set them up, to be sure they are straight & I also trot them to be sure they move right
unsure.gif
biggrin.gif
  Between the 2 of us the horses are  generally right on target.Give him another chance but watch him like a hawk
yes.gif
  cjmm

484062[/snapback]

smile.gif
I am always in attendance with the farrier.... and hold every horse for him. We discuss any major work... examine individual cases... and he even does the remedial/therapeutic trimming and bracing on my little dwarf buddy Cowboy for FREE... simply because he likes him.

Thus we analyze those with no heels, steep heels, long toes, rolled toes, flares here, there and everywhere.... and occasionally even bring up other topics in our conversation!
laugh.gif
Like Thorougbred racing - which we both follow with a passion...
biggrin.gif

Our farrier is wonderful, she does a great job and is there when I need her to be. If I have a horse with a problem we look at it and she adjusts whatever needs it. Don't know if she went to school, never did ask. Just figured that since she was doing a very good job with my horses her education was just fine. Her rates are right in there with everyone else so all in all I am very blessed to have a farrier, vet, trainers, breeders, close at hand if I have a problem.

Must be the clean NC living LOL.

This is one thing that I am oh-so-greatful that I do not have to deal with. My husband is a farrier, and he does all of our horse's feet. He shod horses for several years, but his back is horrible and he couldn't stand up to it anymore, so he just trims now (except for our own, which he still shoes).

I think I drive him nuts, though. I'll always drag up Tuffy (who has endless feet problems...but is now much better) to him and say "How's his feet look?" and then I always get the frustrated "THEY'RE FINE!" LOL!

One thing that he always said is that those who went to shoeing school, don't know how to shoe a horse any better than those who didn't. (By the way, he did take courses when he was like 17). So just because your farrier didn't go to school, does not mean he/she won't do a good job.

hey Marty.. I will trade ya... My crazy quarter horse farrier who cuts my Racking horse's heels off for one of your racking horse farriers?? Deal???

I had one farrier who was excellent.. he just came out every six weeks no matter what and did them for me. unfortunately he was killed in a freak accident in the mines and when i finally thought i had found one to replace him he ended up having a heart attack and had to quit doing it... so now im stuck with my quarter horse farrier who i have to stand over like a hawk and tell him "DONT TOUCH THE HEELS!!!" Drives me insane.. lol.. anyhow let me know when ya want to swap farriers.. lol

How many horses did this farrier do? If you let him trim more than one and you didn't like how he trimmed that horse its not his fault its yours. I am a farrier and if a clients horse needs specific trimming I do it just the way they need as long as it is not harmful to the horse. The farrier should look at the horses conformation and his way of going BEFORE and AFTER the trim. If there are any questions by the owner they should be answered. If there are any problems they should be addressed while the farrier is there. I do a lot of horses if there are any problems my owners let me know before I work on the horse. I just had one today that flipped over backward when I went to pick up a front leg. Thankfully the owner had told me she just bought the horse and didn't know what to expect. Needless to say that horse will have a lot more handling before I try to pick up one of her feet. This was a 2 1/2 year old Quarter mare. Had I not been aware one of us could have beeen seriously hurt. Linda B

Latest posts

Back