Your thoughts on showing in Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
We have a Perlino yearling filly we will be showing in halter this year

do you think they can do well in a halter class among the shiny bays, etc

It's not the best color to bring out a shine the way a dark horse shines

Do you think the Judges notice them as much as another color with equaly good conformation

This is "Spice" with a bad clip job. from the knees down are not clipped either

spice118newsmall-1.jpg

spice138.jpg

spice112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont do much showing but I think that this color will definately get noticed and then they have to look at conformation if they notice him. He is not just another bay or sorrel in the group, he will get noticed! Handsome boy!

We have a Perlino yearling we will be showing in halter this yeardo you think they can do well in a halter class among the shiny bays, etc

It's not the best color to bring out a shine the way a dark horse shines

Do you think the Judges notice them as much as another color with equaly good conformation

This is "Spice" with a bad clip job. from the knees down are not clipped either

spice118newsmall-1.jpg

spice138.jpg

spice112.jpg

Well a lot of people dont think they show well but I am going to be showing my yearling cremello colt so you wont be the only one out there!

A good horse is a good horse, and any judge who can't look past color and see the horse shouldn't be judging at all.

Well, I do know there are a few judges out there that don't like the double dilutes and won't use them if they can help it. Same as some won't use an appaloosa. But, others will use them fairly.

Nice filly!

Hi

I showed a whte filly several yrs. ago. She really done great. But I was told you don't show a white horse!

I didn;t really know why or what to do. They say the Judge either love them or hate them.

The only thing I can say my filly was hard to show, because of the color they show ever little speck of dirt.

All I can say is go for it an have fun.

You filly looks really nice, she should not show as much dirt as my white filly HE HE

One thing I would add is to clip the horse atleast a week before the show ~
default_wink.png

I would feel honestly nothing tighter then a 10 blade and then detail out the head alittle closer to the show.

Nothing worst then clip to close to the show and have a beautiful PINK horse..
default_unsure.png

And it is VERY true a GOOD Horse is a GOOD Horse no matter the color........
default_saludando.gif

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

Your filly is very nice.

A nice horse should place no matter what the color. Many light colored horses have done well in the show ring. I have also heard that some judges prefer dark horses, buckskins and will not use white/light horses or bald faced ones. Sad

But I do understand why, since I have a gorgeous black overo colt who is just stunning in person but is hard to photo with his white face. I can imagine that when a judge stands back for his final evaluation he sees the same thing my camera sees, a white head on a dark body and that distorts the look of the horse. All white or light horses would have the same effect as the detail on them is not as obvious either from a distance, usually the arena has a white background/walls as well so makes it hard for the horse to be seen, they sort of blend into the background. Be sure to enter the arena between two dark horses, that should help in judging.

B

Over the years I have watched it get better and better for both double dilutes and appies. When I first started appies never placed in halter. Now they place all the time. I think it takes people bringing them out instead of leaving thme home and then it gets better. A nice horse is any color

A good horse is a good horse, and any judge who can't look past color and see the horse shouldn't be judging at all.
Couldn't agree more!

Janice has already mentioned what I was going to say, too. Clip far enough in advance that you don't have a pink horse!!

As for appies, I have seen a tremendous improvement in the QUALITY being presented, and therefore they've been placing better. In my opinion, it's not because of the colour that they do better.

I've heard it said many times, there's no bad coloured good horse, and there's no good coloured bad horse.

Any judge worth their card should be able to judge a horse regardless of their color. That said, judges are human too and have their preferences. You will have days when you do well and days you won't. Just remember that it is only one judges opinion on one given day and don't let that stop you if you think you have a good horse.

I don't think the very light colored horses show as well for the reason that light doesn't reflect on them and show off the muscle structure like the dark horses do. A good judge should be able to see through that.

My bald face overos don't face clip and look as good as the darker horses that have the dark pigment that will shine when gooped up. I gave up on the goop a long time ago. I clip with a 15 blade right up to the show and still have white hair and don't show pink. I wouldn't go any closer than that.

To me there is nothing prettier than a really good cremello or perlino.

I have watched some perlinos and cremellos do very well at the AMHA World Show. A great example is Billy Idol, a 2x Reserve World Champion.

I do feel though, that the horse has to be exceptional to win. As they do stand out in the ring, which draws the judges eye to them.

I was going to show one this year, but unfortunatly, the tip of her ear fell off from frost bite last summer. Bummer!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
I made the mistake of clipping her head and neck down late last March, had her in a heated barn, but decided I would give her another year, so I turned her out again in April. I did not clip her ears, but did clean them up a bit. Then we had an unusual cold April. I did not feel it was that cold, but I guess it was for that poor ear tip. Now she will be a driving horse only. (she is the filly in my avatar)

I have a friend who will be showing her cremello colt this year as a 2 year old.

Your filly looks nice! Good luck with showing her, I hope she does very well!!

I was going to show one this year, but unfortunatly, the tip of her ear fell off from frost bite last summer. Bummer!! I made the mistake of clipping her head and neck down late last March, had her in a heated barn, but decided I would give her another year, so I turned her out again in April. I did not clip her ears, but did clean them up a bit. Then we had an unusual cold April. I did not feel it was that cold, but I guess it was for that poor ear tip. Now she will be a driving horse only. (she is the filly in my avatar)

Oh I am so sorry!!! I was looking forward to seeing how she did to !! Iv been drooling from afar
default_rolleyes.gif

Cant wait to see how she does driving!! How long do I have to wait????
default_laugh.png

Ten_Ls_Destiny_In_the_Buff_left_profile_shot___.jpgLori,

You have a very nice filly! She looks well conformed to me from your photos hair and all!

We will be showing this perlino stallion this summer, Ten Ls Destinys in the Buff, in the mature stallions 32 to 34 inches. He has done really well so far with a reserve national championship and multiple national top tens in both registries.

When he was born I thought he was exceptional but have to admit I was a bit skeptical about showing him. But I have seen a trend with the dilutes doing much better in the show ring. I do think they have to be really nice horses of good quality and very fit as a light colored horse makes it a little harder to see muscle definition. But there are a few out there showing and they have done really well. So I would go for it with your filly, I think most of the time you will do just fine! Laura

My gelding Nitro is almost a HOF in halter
default_wink.png
He is also a National Top Ten (8th) in Colour Class.

Billy Idol did REALLY well too
default_smile.png
:)

I'd never let colour stop me from showing a good horse!
default_saludando.gif

Lori,

Thank you! We think so too, I cant wait to see what foals we will have by him. This will be his first breeding season so I have plans for him!!!

He really had a good crowd of people cheering him on all season last year so we were proud of him! Laura

IMAG011.JPG

Here's our perlino who will be on our show string this year. He's Big, Bright and Beautiful.

Of course, we have this little girl too, compliments of Laura at Ten L

IMAG012.JPG

Oh I am so sorry!!! I was looking forward to seeing how she did to !! Iv been drooling from afar
default_rolleyes.gif
Cant wait to see how she does driving!! How long do I have to wait????
default_laugh.png
She is 2 this year and I will start ground work with her and hook her to the cart by fall, so she will be out next year. She is an incredible mover too!! I have her full sister, a palomino who is 1 this year, she is actually nicer than the cremello.. But really, I love them both!! They are just so refined and the palomino has such a baby doll head. Mom is in foal to Windchaser again for this summer. Do I dare ask for another filly.
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png
(and to think I almost sold the dam in foal to DeLa the cremello).
default_new_shocked.gif

Your filly is lovely-- she has a very pretty head. I, Personally like the cremellos & perlinos-- we showed a perlino mare all the way to the Nationals-- she did better in performance than in halter -- but that was her fault, not the judges-- she simply did not like to stand still for very long at a time. However, she was National Champion in a performance class.

We have a gorgeous yearling colt that is cremello pinto -- I want to show him this summer. Color should only count in a color class.

Latest posts

Back